Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: To all of you AmigaXL/Amithlon users  (Read 6644 times)

Description:

Offline Paul_Gadd

• Show only replies by Paul_Gadd
    • http://elunatic.host.sk/start.html
Re: To all of you AmigaXL/Amithlon users
« Reply #29 from previous page: November 25, 2002, 09:25:43 PM »
You might aswell just use a PC.

I assume your refering to Windows, then yes i use Windows and Amithlon (dual boot) which does all my needs (amiga software and windows software) which is a good way to get the best of both worlds, i do not want anymore amiga hardware full stop,

You keep going on about support but where do you draw the line? if i use a amiga emulator and buy software then thats enough for me, i dont need to buy silly priced hardware and own OS4 to become a member of "Amiga supporters of the world", many sensible users buy what they want/need, no one in the right mind is going to buy something just on the terms "Look at me i have supported amiga",

why dont we all buy new monitors,speakers,cd players, dvd players, walkmans, tvs,videos and other stuff just to support the makers.

Offline bhoggett

• Show only replies by bhoggett
    • http://www.midnightmu.com
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2002, 09:25:57 PM »
@JoNty
What can I say? I'm pro AmigaOne/OS 4. I have absolutely nothing against emulation, but I just can't see how people can use Amithlon/XL and say they support the Amiga at the same time, and there are some who claim they do.

Who's to say that your vision of what Amiga should be is also their vision?

The truth is that many people who say they are supporting the Amiga are in fact just supporting what *they* want, without caring a fig what Amiga might want.
Bill Hoggett

Offline Targhan

• Show only replies by Targhan
    • http://www.geocities.com/targhan_aga
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2002, 09:30:30 PM »
What has pro-OS4/AOne have to do with being anti-amithlon.  Then
again, what does EMULATION have to do with Amithlon?  What bits of
Linux that exists are HEAVILY modified, most of the emulation is in
the form of a 68k emulator (which, guess what?  AOS 4 will have 68k
emulation... So, that makes AmigaOS4 nothing but a fancy PPC based
Amiga EMULATOR!!!)

Most of Amithlon is not emulation.  Yes, there are bits that are
emulated; however, Amithlon more closely related to Draco than to UAE.
Amithlon users ARE amigans, because they buy the software to run on
it.  Most Amithlon users also have real Amigas.  I have (and use) a
towered A1200 with a mediator and a Voodoo3 as well as amithlon.  I
bet most other Amithlon users have an Amiga they use as well.  The
only things that don't run on amithlon are programs requiring the
chipset (i.e. games and video stuff).

The legality of AmigaOS XL is a whole other matter.  I find it hard to
point my finger in one direction or another.  We are in the Amiga
community, and, therefore, we can't have a good product unless it's
surrounded by mystery, intrigue, back-stabbing, questionable business
tactics, or any number of other things.  I say if you want it, buy it.
 In theory, the publisher is at fault if there are legal issues.
However, be mindful that if you do that Bernie/Amiga may release a new
version sometime in the future. (Although, I do hear it will be a lot
less expensive--but minus some goodies).

The original topic-->I use my Amithlon for software development,
browsing the web, email, writing, and most of my computer needs.  I
have not, however, been able to use ppaint/dpaint's animation stuff.

Targhan
Regards,
Targhan

Offline Glaucus

• Show only replies by Glaucus
    • http://members.shaw.ca/mveroukis/
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2002, 09:45:37 PM »
If you're seriously planning on using Amithlon/XL for the foreseeable future, then you can't possibly care about the Amiga's future.

That's Bullshit!  Perhaps some just can't AFFORD the Amiga's future???  But to say they users of Amithlon/WinUAE don't care about the Amiga's future is stupid.

Personally, I prefer WinUAE over Amithlon simply because it runs along side WindowsXP.  I like that.  I use my setup for software development.  I use my favorite text editor which happens to be TextPad for WinXP and compile using SAS/C on the Amiga.  Since I run WinUAE in windowed mode I can switch between the two very easily!  I find my setup gives me the best of both worlds, plus it's cheap!

- Mike
YOU ARE NOT IMMUNE

Offline ne_one

• Show only replies by ne_one
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2002, 10:27:48 PM »
@bhoggett

"The plans are dependent on Bernie releasing his product. If that happens then yes, the plans - or at least those I know about - are encouraging to most people, though there will be those who would choke on their cornflakes if they were to be told about them now."

Hmm... is there any reason why Bernie couldn't avoid all the Amithlon issues and pursue this opportunity separately or are they intertwined somehow?

"Even without Amiga Inc's plans viabilty was very good, and it would have attracted more users and made more money than AOS4 and MOS put together. With the plans I heard about it would have been even better"

Throw us a frickin' bone here mang! ;-) I really can't imagine anything other than a native x86 version of the OS being viable and able to attract more users.

Say it! lol

"but the fact is that Bernie staying in the market is now a very unlikely scenario"

Still the same old legal obstacles? Or does he just need a group hug?!  8-)

Offline JoNty

• Show only replies by JoNty
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2002, 11:06:38 PM »
"But to say they users of Amithlon/WinUAE don't care about the Amiga's future is stupid."

That's right. I didn't say that though, did I.

God I love winding people up. :)

Offline JoNty

« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2002, 11:08:11 PM »
"AOS 4 will have 68k
emulation... So, that makes AmigaOS4 nothing but a fancy PPC based
Amiga EMULATOR!!!"

That's why I don't have anything against emulation. :)

Offline Targhan

• Show only replies by Targhan
    • http://www.geocities.com/targhan_aga
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2002, 12:18:23 AM »
"Thats why I don't have anything against emulation!"

Heh, yeah!  Who all likes MAME, raise your hands!! 8-)  Don't forget
the gameboy, genesis, and nintendo emulators ;-)

Targhan
Regards,
Targhan

Offline KennyR

• Show only replies by KennyR
    • http://wrongpla.net
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2002, 12:43:03 AM »
You spoke to the folks at Amiga Inc and they told you this, right?

Er...no. Common sense and an education in computing and commerce told me this. I don't mean to sound superior or anything...but can you say as much?

Actually, you haven't spoken to anybody and you're just spouting your usual hate-filled ignorant claptrap.

* PARANOIA ALERT *

If you think that's hate-speech, you either live in some Utopia I've never seen, or you have a REAL problem.

As for ignorance, the only ignorance is believing that anyone, user or developer, actually takes any emulated system seriously. They don't. In my years of computer experience this has become glaringly obvious. And to prove my point, C includes have been available for native x86 Amithlon for quite a while now...where are all these apps?

Offline bhoggett

« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2002, 12:52:00 AM »
@ne_one

Hmm... is there any reason why Bernie couldn't avoid all the Amithlon issues and pursue this opportunity separately or are they intertwined somehow?

The issues are not the major problem. The hassle surrounding them is another matter.

Throw us a frickin' bone here mang! ;-) I really can't imagine anything other than a native x86 version of the OS being viable and able to attract more users.

Say it! lol

To quote Hyperion "there will be no AmigaOS4 for x86".

I'm tempted to say more, but I won't.

Still the same old legal obstacles? Or does he just need a group hug?!  8-)

If only it was that easy. The trouble is that when you get "stalked" by people set to abuse you, including mid-night telephone calls, when your health and relationships start to suffer badly, you think twice if it's all worth it, specially when in a market where material gains are pretty minimal anyway.

Basically, there's a level of abuse which is too much for anyone, and some people in the Amiga market have no limits when it comes to using such tactics.

Until the market cleans up the corruption that pervades it from top to bottom, it will keep losing the best talent until all that's left are the crooks and charlatans.
Bill Hoggett

Offline nyteschayde

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by nyteschayde
    • http://www.nyteshade.com
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2002, 02:46:38 AM »
I do own the Amithlon/XL suite but I must admit I often use WinUAE more than I use Amithlon. Primarily because I own a GeForce4 TI/4200 and most video modes are unsupported. Not to mention the fact that my ethernet card is not supported and fails to function correctly.

All in all the latest version of WinUAE is much more easily configured. I will look at Amithlon2 when it is released.

I use my amiga emulation software to do development on the Amiga and since my A3000 doesn't have enough RAM (and RAM is hard to come by for total ammounts greater than 16MB).
Senior MTS Software Engineer with PayPal
Amigas: A1200T 060/603e PPC • A1200T 060 • A4000D 040 • A3000 (x2) • A2000 Vamp/V2 • A1200 (x4) • A1000 (x3) • A600 Vamp/V1 • A500

Offline ne_one

• Show only replies by ne_one
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2002, 03:07:01 AM »
@bhoggett

"To quote Hyperion 'there will be no AmigaOS4 for x86'."

Ah yes... meaning: Hyperion will not be the principals behind an x86 version of OS4.0. After all, these lads are rather pooped after working so tirelessly on porting and extending the PPC version. But... that doesn't mean it won't happen. 8-)

"I'm tempted to say more, but I won't."

Well aren't you a silly bugger!  :-P C'mon tell us that Amiga would like to use Bernie's technology as the basis of an x86 solution. We dare ya!  ;-)

"Until the market cleans up the corruption that pervades it from top to bottom, it will keep losing the best talent until all that's left are the crooks and charlatans."

That is indeed a shame. We all deserve better, including Bernie.

Offline JoNty

« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2002, 09:32:39 AM »
PPC all the way, baby!

Offline bhoggett

« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2002, 10:03:45 AM »
@ne_one
Ah yes... meaning: Hyperion will not be the principals behind an x86 version of OS4.0. After all, these lads are rather pooped after working so tirelessly on porting and extending the PPC version. But... that doesn't mean it won't happen.

It won't happen as long as Hyperion control the source code and the contracts. In order for it to happen, Amiga Inc would have to buy back the rights and the find someone to do the work. I wouldn't hold my breath...

C'mon tell us that Amiga would like to use Bernie's technology as the basis of an x86 solution. We dare ya!

Well, in the long term their x86 solution is supposed to be the mythical OS5 - although I suspect my kids will have grandchildren of their own before that becomes reality, and I don't even have any yet.

In the short term, sure they want to base a number of x86 products on Bernie's work, and they want to make it easy for developers doing OS4 software to port it to Am*thlon 2 so that they can aim at a bigger market overall. Yes, certain things have been proposed and certain people have agreed to co-operate in principle, but nothing's going to happen unless Bernie feels he's clear of the c##p and free to release his product without his life being ripped apart. There's no point going into details if doing so will merely serve to stir up controversy.

I'll only say this: If the new version is released, it will have a promising future for at least as long as AOS4 can be said to have a future. And yes, I do mean a future, despite the rantings of our resident scots troll.

Yes, we do, but the people at the top are too afraid to get heavy with anyone in case their own transgressions get aired as retaliation, and the little folk are so desperate to keep the illusion of an active market that they make excuses for the transgressors instead of going after them with pitchforks. The result is that the Amiga market becomes more like a cesspit every year.
Bill Hoggett

Offline Paul_Gadd

• Show only replies by Paul_Gadd
    • http://elunatic.host.sk/start.html
« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2002, 10:27:16 AM »

Yes correct, Bernie deserves some respect from the so called Amiga community but hell no, Bernie did nothing wrong and gets treated like dirt then Elbox does some evil stuff and gets treated like they are amiga champions,  something is definitely wrong somewhere.

Offline DesolatorTopic starter

• Show only replies by Desolator
« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2002, 11:34:11 AM »
"The trouble is that when you get "stalked" by people set to abuse you, including mid-night telephone calls, when your health and relationships start to suffer badly, you think twice if it's all worth it"

Argh, this makes me som angry! Here a nice person constructs a wonderful product that lots of people have need for, and some people just can't have it that way. I for sure stand on bernies side here, he shouldn't have it this way, he deserve so much more.
// Amiga - The computer for the creative mind.
// Ph.D in Amiga future optimism.