Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Recomend some games for SAM460?  (Read 4802 times)

Description:

Offline AmigoSteveTopic starter

• Show only replies by AmigoSteve
Recomend some games for SAM460?
« on: October 04, 2011, 04:17:28 PM »
Hi everyone, this morning I went onto the amigakit website and have bought myself a SAM460 basic system!

I am a huge gaming fan and would like to know which games you recommend (please don't say os4 depot or something like that)

I am aware of BOH, word me up xxl, Alinearis 2, super workbench games, crossfire 2

Also which old amiga games do you know that work with the SAM eg heretic 2, wipeout 2097...

Offline jorkany

• Show only replies by jorkany
    • http://www.amigaos4.com
Re: Recomend some games for SAM460?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 04:33:26 PM »
Quote from: AmigoSteve;662431
Also which old amiga games do you know that work with the SAM eg heretic 2, wipeout 2097...

Those aren't Amiga games, but ports.

You can run true Amiga games on your SAM under an emulator, just like you would on a PC.

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 04:43:26 PM »
Off the top of my head:

Quake1/2/3, Shogo, Payback, Trapped2, NemacIV, Earth2140, Napalm, Nightlong, ScummVM and all the games that covers, Duke3d, Genetic Species, AlienBreed3d2:TKG (with RTG patch), Gloom3, VirtualGP, Final Whistle, Descent FreeSpace, Exodus:The Last War, OnEscapee, Flashback (via Reminiscine), Another World (via RAW).

There's plenty of others, but for the most part I only mentioned commercial titles, or engines that can play commercial titles. (although of course some of these commercial titles are open source too). Personally I find the vast majority of original open source games to be rubbish, but there is a small percentage of gems amongst the junk. Oh, additionally Ive listed some 68k games that Id imagine should work, but may not. As for Gloom, earlier versions may work, so it may be worth looking into, but I know for sure Gloom3:Zombie Massacre is definately RTG friendly.
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline Varthall

• Show only replies by Varthall
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 06:21:59 PM »
My personal favourite OS4 games are Aquaria, Quake 3, Wesnoth, Beats of Rage, OpenTyrian, Joleem, Super Mario War, and Tail Tale.
AmigaOne XE - AmigaOS 4.1 - Freescale 7457 1GHz - 1GB ram
MPlayer for OS4: https://sourceforge.net/projects/mplayer-amigaos/

Offline lionstorm

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 07:30:59 PM »
there is 1941 deluxe extreme which supports 2 players and Reminescence, an engine which let you go through flashback !

Offline AmigoSteveTopic starter

• Show only replies by AmigoSteve
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 08:12:25 PM »
Thanks, I will check some of them out and whet my appetite for them over the next few weeks whilst I wait for my SAM!

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by eliyahu
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 10:19:51 PM »
Hi everyone, this morning I went onto the amigakit website and have bought myself a SAM460 basic system!

I am a huge gaming fan and would like to know which games you recommend (please don't say os4 depot or something like that)

I am aware of BOH, word me up xxl, Alinearis 2, super workbench games, crossfire 2

there are tons of games out there that will run happily on your SAM460. i have a few on my SAM440 that i play on occasion and enjoy. among them are:

alephone (engine for marathon series of FPS games)
amichess
aquaria
armagetron advanced
asteriodsTR
blackbox
BOH
bubbelsche deluxe
cube
descent
doom 2 (via prboomGL engine)
enigma (clone of the oxyd series of games)
freespace
frotz
giana's return
giddy
heretic
hexen 2
lincity NG
neverball/neverputt
project SMC
quake
quake 2
simutrans
soliton
sqrxz
sqrxz 2
supertux
the lord of the rings
battle of wesnoth
zaz
zelda OLB

i also use classic games via @ChrisH's excellent RunInUAE, such as turrican (1, 2, and 3), lotus turbo challenge, rick dangerous, etc.

a few of the games listed above are commercial, but i would say some of the best are BOH, freespace, quake 2, battle of wesnoth, and especially aquaria. much of the 'native' OS4 games tend to be ports from other platforms thanks to the availability of SDL -- as pointed out by @jorkany. but then again they play just as well on our amiga NG machines as our PCs, so why not?

let us know when you get your SAM, and if you need any help, just ask! :)

-- eliyahu
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."

Offline giZmo350

• Lifetime Member
  • Gulfport, Miss
    • Show only replies by giZmo350
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 10:57:53 PM »
Well, the deal is done! I pulled the trigger on a new SAM460EX COMPLETE SYSTEM too!
And, I GOT THE LAST ONE! With all the upgrades and goodies!

I also got the FastATA 1200 MK-IV IDE Interface for my A1200 and the Competition Pro Joystick for the Sam.

CAN"T WAIT!!!! :)

I'm glad for this post too - time to go get some software and games for the SAM!
A500: 2MB Chip, 8MB Fast, IndiECS, MiniMegi, IDE4ZorroII on Z-500, KS1.3/KS3.1, WB3.1&BWB

A2000HD: 2MB Chip, 128MB Fast, P5:Blizz 2060@50MHz, PCD-50B/4GBCF, XSurf100, RapidRoad, IndiECS, Matze RTG, MiniMegi, CD-RW, SunRize AD516, WB3.9

A1200: 2MB Chip, 64MB Fast, 4GBCF, GVP Typhoon 030 @40MHz w/FPU, Subway USB, EasyNet Ethernet, Indi AGA MKI, FastATA MK-IV, Internal Slim CD/DVD-RW, WB3.5

Surfing The Web With AMIGA Is Fun Again!

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2011, 11:09:38 PM »
Quote from: gizmo350;662474
Well, the deal is done! I pulled the trigger on a new SAM460EX COMPLETE SYSTEM too!
And, I GOT THE LAST ONE! With all the upgrades and goodies!

I also got the FastATA 1200 MK-IV IDE Interface for my A1200 and the Competition Pro Joystick for the Sam.

CAN"T WAIT!!!! :)

I'm glad for this post too - time to go get some software and games for the SAM!
congrats on your purchase! :cool:

i hope you enjoy it as much as i have my own little SAM440.  be sure to let us know your thoughts, both good and bad, when you get it and start playing around. :)

-- eliyahu

Offline giZmo350

• Lifetime Member
  • Gulfport, Miss
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 11:24:17 PM »
Thanks! :)

I ordered these two cases and after I play around on it for awhile I'm going to see how the innerds transplant into one of these...

http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3905305&CatId=3427

http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3905288&CatId=3427

I've been saving a couple of brand new WHITE optical drive faceplates for just such an occasion too!

Emulation for OS4 looks like a winner too! Maybe I can retire a couple of old Miggys! Also, didn't I see someone load Windows under emulation on an OS4 machine? I'd love to be able to play all my old DOS/WIN VGA games on it too! (no flame please!) :roflmao:

@eliyahu.... how hard was it to setup emulation on yours? Is it very finicky?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 11:27:42 PM by gizmo350 »
A500: 2MB Chip, 8MB Fast, IndiECS, MiniMegi, IDE4ZorroII on Z-500, KS1.3/KS3.1, WB3.1&BWB

A2000HD: 2MB Chip, 128MB Fast, P5:Blizz 2060@50MHz, PCD-50B/4GBCF, XSurf100, RapidRoad, IndiECS, Matze RTG, MiniMegi, CD-RW, SunRize AD516, WB3.9

A1200: 2MB Chip, 64MB Fast, 4GBCF, GVP Typhoon 030 @40MHz w/FPU, Subway USB, EasyNet Ethernet, Indi AGA MKI, FastATA MK-IV, Internal Slim CD/DVD-RW, WB3.5

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2011, 11:39:07 PM »
Quote from: gizmo350;662478
Emulation for OS4 looks like a winner too! Maybe I can retire a couple of old Miggys! Also, didn't I see someone load Windows under emulation on an OS4 machine? I'd love to be able to play all my old DOS/WIN VGA games on it too! (no flame please!) :roflmao:
it depends on how old your game titles are. folks have used DOSbox successfully to install older versions of windows, like windows 95 or windows 98, but on our SAMs it is mostly useful for older DOS games from the 1980s and 1990s. i use it on my SAM440, and it works well for all of the old text and platform games from 'the old days.' you might ask on AWN or amigans.net for feedback since there are (far) more OS4 users on those boards.

@eliyahu.... how hard was it to setup emulation on yours? Is it very finicky?
not at all. in fact all i needed was my amiga forever CD for the ROMs (although you don't need that since they are available elsewhere) and the installer for RunInUAE, which sets up everything for you. afterwards i simply double-click on an ADF file or any WHDload game, and away it goes.  of course if you want to run UAE manually, you can, and there are nice GUIs available for all of the configuration options, but i find RunInUAE is easier to work with.

of course if you're talking about stuff other than games, you don't need UAE at all since most classic software that you used to use in conjunction with workbench works 'out of the box' without setting anything up at all -- and tends to be much, much faster than anything using UAE since the version of UAE for the NG systems (like OS4 and MOS) doesn't have a JIT compiler in the runtime.

if you run into any issues, just open a thread on the fora. we SAM owners tend to be a nice bunch of folks and always want to help out a new user. :)

-- eliyahu

Offline ChrisH

• Show only replies by ChrisH
    • http://cshandley.co.uk/email
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2011, 12:08:32 AM »
Why are people recommending 3D games like Quake 3 or PrBoomGL for a Sam460?  They won't run unless a Radeon 9250 is installed, and as far as I am aware no Sam460s ship with that graphics card (yeah, I know it's kinda daft, if only the PCI slot wasn't taken up by a SATA card).

Side note:  "Software 3D" games like Quake 1, Payback or Freespace should work.   But anything using Warp3D or MiniGL won't, at least until AmigaOS4.2.
Author of the PortablE programming language.
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Offline giZmo350

• Lifetime Member
  • Gulfport, Miss
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2011, 12:09:43 AM »
Thanks for all this info and your hospitality eliyahu!

Also, Congrats to AmigoSteve too! :)

Yea, I have a ton of old PC games on CD that were made to run on DOS. Many VGA games that were very fun to play. I have the Ultimate Infocom games package that will be fun to break out again along with some old titles that I never even really got to play. I have run DOSBOX on WinXP and it's excellent. Double-click on an ADF.... how awesome is that! Again thanks!

Rog...........

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2011, 12:26:14 AM »
Quote from: ChrisH;662490
Why are people recommending 3D games like Quake 3 or PrBoomGL for a Sam460?  They won't run unless a Radeon 9250 is installed, and as far as I am aware no Sam460s ship with that graphics card (yeah, I know it's kinda daft, if only the PCI slot wasn't taken up by a SATA card).

Side note:  "Software 3D" games like Quake 1, Payback or Freespace should work.   But anything using Warp3D or MiniGL won't, at least until AmigaOS4.2.
that's an excellent point, chris.  neither the onboard video -- the SM502 -- nor any of the radeon HD cards currently have working 3D drivers at this time. if one wants to use anything that requires miniGL, one might want to use an older, PCI-based graphics card like the radeon 9250 in the interim.

thanks for reminding the thread of this. i had forgotten (well, since i don't have the newer 460). :o

-- eliyahu

Offline bbond007

• Show only replies by bbond007
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2011, 01:11:59 AM »

Myst may run :) thats a cool game.