Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Recomend some games for SAM460?  (Read 4802 times)

Description:

Offline bbond007

• Show only replies by bbond007
Re: Recomend some games for SAM460?
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2011, 01:11:59 AM »
Quote from: AmigoSteve;662431
Hi everyone, this morning I went onto the amigakit website and have bought myself a SAM460 basic system!

I am a huge gaming fan and would like to know which games you recommend (please don't say os4 depot or something like that)

I am aware of BOH, word me up xxl, Alinearis 2, super workbench games, crossfire 2

Also which old amiga games do you know that work with the SAM eg heretic 2, wipeout 2097...

Myst may run :) thats a cool game.

Offline Templario

« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2011, 03:58:20 PM »
Man, in OS4Depot there are some good games.
But a good games for Sam are 1941 Extreme Deluxe but the previous version to current the 2.0
Battle for the Wesnoth.
FreeSpace 1.
NeverBall but the MiniGolf game.
And others that I don't remember.
Amiga 500 with ROMs 1.3-2.05 and M-Tec AT 500 with hard disk and 4MB Ram.
WinUAE + Original OS 3.5&3.9
Sam440ep 800 MHZ + OS 4.1 F.E.
Sam460ex 1 GHz + OS 4.1 + Update 6. K.O.
MacMini 1.5 GHz + MorphOS 3.9
PowerBook G4 1.65 + MorphOS 3.9

Offline AmigoSteveTopic starter

• Show only replies by AmigoSteve
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2011, 05:04:47 PM »
Thanks everyone!!

Gizmo350- did you buy the complete system from amigakit? I almost went for that instead of the basic, im still not sure I made the right choice, with the hddvd, 2gb of ram and radeon card mine came to £890.

For a complete system with all that stuff. It would have been around £63 more.

I got the basic due to the price but am worried about the performance of the 1gh processor compared to the complete systems 1.15ghz especially as the amigaone 500 will be at 1.15ghz

Offline giZmo350

• Lifetime Member
  • Gulfport, Miss
    • Show only replies by giZmo350
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2011, 05:37:50 PM »
Hi AmigoSteve, Yeah, I bought the Complete System w/2GB mem, the SD Card, the Radeon HD 4650 1GB video card, the keyboard & mouse, and the card reader. I figured I might as well go for the gold & it wasn't that much more for the additional stuff. I probably won't use the card reader after I transplant everything into the Silverstone case but, Meh... As far as the Amigaone 500 it's the exact same setup but just a different case. Not sure just how much more performance .15GHz will provide though anyway. So, I wouldn't worry if I were you. Probably can't even tell the difference. :) To tell you the truth, I'm more concerned about emulation performance. Post back when you get yours as will I & we can compare notes. I'm gonna do a writeup with pics and post to my website too.
A500: 2MB Chip, 8MB Fast, IndiECS, MiniMegi, IDE4ZorroII on Z-500, KS1.3/KS3.1, WB3.1&BWB

A2000HD: 2MB Chip, 128MB Fast, P5:Blizz 2060@50MHz, PCD-50B/4GBCF, XSurf100, RapidRoad, IndiECS, Matze RTG, MiniMegi, CD-RW, SunRize AD516, WB3.9

A1200: 2MB Chip, 64MB Fast, 4GBCF, GVP Typhoon 030 @40MHz w/FPU, Subway USB, EasyNet Ethernet, Indi AGA MKI, FastATA MK-IV, Internal Slim CD/DVD-RW, WB3.5

Surfing The Web With AMIGA Is Fun Again!

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2011, 05:57:15 PM »
Thanks gizmo350.

I will let you know on that one.

Another question for you, I am sure I will ask many on this site. My last amiga was\is an a1200 with an 030 and 16mb of ram. I have been following it for a long time but only now decided to take the plunge and get a new system...

how effective do you think the graphics card will be without 3d driver support? I hope a download for it will be available.
At the moment it seems like I could have saved money with an older one and been able to use more software with it!

Offline giZmo350

• Lifetime Member
  • Gulfport, Miss
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2011, 06:44:32 PM »
To tell you the truth (maybe someone else can answer) I'm not sure why the resellers only offer the Radeon 4650 card. Maybe a logistical thing or a compatibility thing (hope it's not due to hardware compatibility with other graphics cards). I'm sure it's just a matter of drivers. Like Chris said, you would need a 9250 to support Warp3D or MiniGL in software (I'm sure someone else has tried this and that the 9250 drivers work with the SAM board?). Did you buy the 4650 or just going to use the on-board graphics? From waht it sounds like, ACube/Hyperion is working on a 3D driver for the 4650 though or maybe even the on-board graphics - not sure which. I bought the 4650 for the OS4 support and the graphics card's 1GB on-board memory. I know, terrible reply... I'm sure someone else can make sense of all this though. Rog.........
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 07:34:03 PM by gizmo350 »
A500: 2MB Chip, 8MB Fast, IndiECS, MiniMegi, IDE4ZorroII on Z-500, KS1.3/KS3.1, WB3.1&BWB

A2000HD: 2MB Chip, 128MB Fast, P5:Blizz 2060@50MHz, PCD-50B/4GBCF, XSurf100, RapidRoad, IndiECS, Matze RTG, MiniMegi, CD-RW, SunRize AD516, WB3.9

A1200: 2MB Chip, 64MB Fast, 4GBCF, GVP Typhoon 030 @40MHz w/FPU, Subway USB, EasyNet Ethernet, Indi AGA MKI, FastATA MK-IV, Internal Slim CD/DVD-RW, WB3.5

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2011, 07:07:56 PM »
Yeah, i bought the radeon.

Thanks for your reply, will just have to wait and see what happens about support for this.

I bought it with mine because I was sure the onboard graphics wouldn't be up to the job. Just hope it gets sorted because I want to be able to play all the PPC games available for the amiga.

Bet you can't wait to get your SAM, i am VERY excited im getting mine. I had been thinking about getting one for ages!

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2011, 07:13:31 PM »
Quote from: AmigoSteve;662557
I ... am worried about the performance of the 1gh processor compared to the complete systems 1.15ghz especially as the amigaone 500 will be at 1.15ghz

The AMCC 460 is rather poor performer regardless of if it is 1 or 1.15GHz. It's a rehash of the 1999 PowerPC 440 core, after all.

Offline giZmo350

• Lifetime Member
  • Gulfport, Miss
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2011, 07:26:03 PM »
How about the X1000? You for or against that?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 03:24:04 AM by Argo »

Offline Piru

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2011, 07:32:35 PM »
Quote from: gizmo350;662567
How about the X1000? You for or against that?
Against. Mainly due to the insanity of creating one off custom HW based on end of line CPU, and with insane costs. Although it at least can perform assuming the OS uses both of the cores and makes proper use of the Altivec. I suppose some ppc linux guys might be interested.

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2011, 07:35:44 PM »
The OP has already made up their minds in the red-blue saga, so really your post is unhelpful.  There are places to discuss the advantages and disadvantages of the various AmigaOnes, this topic is not one of them.

Quote from: Piru;662566
The AMCC 460 is rather poor performer regardless of if it is 1 or 1.15GHz. It's a rehash of the 1999 PowerPC 440 core, after all.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline Piru

« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2011, 07:49:12 PM »
Quote from: persia;662569
The OP has already made up their minds in the red-blue saga, so really your post is unhelpful.
Of course they've made up their mind, it's quite evident from this thread.

What I've seen in this thread however seem to indicate that the new users are hoping for more than what they'll get. Many buyers seem to be unaware of the relatively poor performance (AmigaONE G4 is faster in many tasks) and driver support issues (no 3D unless if you downgrade your graphics card).

Future might bring new 3d drivers or PPC JIT for UAE, but those things are not reality as of now.

There are places to discuss the advantages and disadvantages of the various AmigaOnes, this topic is not one of them.
Oh. I thought that was discussed in this thread already. My mistake.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 07:59:48 PM by Piru »

Offline giZmo350

• Lifetime Member
  • Gulfport, Miss
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2011, 08:15:09 PM »
Quote from: Piru;662575
Of course they've made up their mind, it's quite evident from this thread.

What I've seen in this thread however seem to indicate that the new users are hoping for more than what they'll get. Many buyers seem to be unaware of the relatively poor performance (AmigaONE G4 is faster in many tasks) and driver support issues (no 3D unless if you downgrade your graphics card).

Future might bring new 3d drivers or PPC JIT for UAE, but those things are not reality as of now.

Oh. I thought that was discussed in this thread already. My mistake.

Check out Captain Obvious! Why are you simply repeating what was discussed? Your response to Persia was not what he meant and you know it! What I think you're really trying to say is that anyone that buys a SAM is an idiot and a stupid dummy McDumDum! Right? Anyone that discusses buying a new SAM doesn't have the right to do so here without being ridiculed! Right? Not everyone has the $$$ for an X1000 (we know, you think that's a piece of crap too - got anything better on the drawing board smarta$$?). The kid that started this post simply asked if anyone could recommend some games for the SAM. I'm sure your next response will be to rephrase your argument. Piru, you a left wing politition? If not you ought to look into it 'cause you would make a great one! We're just tryin having some fun here and you have to pi$$ all over it. Why? Way to wreck this post! I know what's coming next "MODS! Someone is discussing Amiga computers here on this website! Better stop or BAN them!" GEEEEEEEEEEEEZUZ! Ya Effin Crybaby!

Offline Puni/Void

• Show only replies by Puni/Void
    • Old School Game Blog
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2011, 08:30:51 PM »
Hi there AmigaSteve,

Congratulations on purchasing the SAM460! :)

I wouldn't worry too much about the performance of the CPU and the system itself. AmigaOS 4 is incredible snappy and efficient and will run smooth on your computer. :) No worries there.

Now.. you asked for games. It has been mentioned previously in this thread, but my recommandation is The Battle for Wesnoth. It is a great turn-based strategy game. I did the mistake of just "trying it out" once, but was stuck playing it for months afterwards. There are a ton of cool campaigns to play and when you've finished those, you can download more through the game itself! High recommended.

Offline Piru

« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2011, 08:38:10 PM »
Quote from: gizmo350;662579
Why are you simply repeating what was discussed?
So now that I mention these things (perhaps repeating them) it suddenly is a horrible horrible thing. Uh what?

Your response to Persia was not what he meant and you know it!
Hmm wait, now you're really cryptic. Care to elaborate? I have hard time deciphering these suggestions and veiled "you know what he REALLY meant!" kind of arguments.

What I think you're really trying to say is that anyone that buys a SAM is an idiot and a stupid dummy McDumDum! Right?
No. Why would I want to do that?

Anyone that discusses buying a new SAM doesn't have the right to do so here without being ridiculed! Right?
Was someone ridiculed? How? Where?

Not everyone has the $$$ for an X1000 (we know, you think that's a piece of crap too - got anything better on the drawing board smarta$$?).
If you insist on bringing new custom HW projects, no. It doesn't invalidate my opinion however. The opinion I brought up only because it was specifically asked for in this thread. You know the thing called "discussion", which many boards, including amiga.org aim for.

The kid that started this post simply asked if anyone could recommend some games for the SAM.
I think that part of the thread has been answered quite well. Next, the discussion turned into emulation, 3D support and many other important things, which are quite relevant in amiga gaming.

I'm sure your next response will be to rephrase your argument. Piru, you a left wing politition? If not you ought to look into it 'cause you would make a great one!
Since you asked no, I am not. I was asked to run for the parliament (twice) though, so I may have some of the qualifications (be them good or bad), but being a windmill isn't one of them. I'm quite consistent I believe. That being said, I doubt you're really that interested about my political affiliations.

We're just tryin having some fun here and you have to pi$$ all over it.
That's your interpretation of it. However, in my view my comments are only pointing out some of the facts of the situation. Some of the facts are uncomfortable for sure.

Why? Way to wreck this post! I know what's coming next "MODS! Someone is discussing Amiga computers here on this website! Better stop or BAN them!" GEEEEEEEEEEEEZUZ! Ya Effin Crybaby!

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #29 from previous page: October 05, 2011, 09:03:46 PM »
Quote from: gizmo350;662579
I'm sure your next response will be to rephrase your argument. Piru, you a left wing politition?

My friends, I give you the results of "No child left behind"