Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Only 3 more days  (Read 9716 times)

Description:

Offline Nostalgiac

• Show only replies by Nostalgiac
Re: Only 3 more days
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2011, 10:12:24 PM »
yawn... to all point... yawn...
2000/2060/128mb/2320/2gb/C64-3D/Hydra-Aminet on OS 3.9

c128/1541/1750/1351 with Dolphin Dos and eprom burner

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2011, 10:17:08 PM »
Quote from: brownb2;667024
As you've noted it's a good business model.
I don't like Steve Jobs, I dislike his brainwashed fanatics and products but kudos to Apple for clearly getting it right.
No, see, there's a difference between something being functional and something being right. I could steal your wallet, and that would fulfill the function of keeping me in takeout Chinese and beer for another month, but I daresay you would have a couple objections to it.

Or, if it's the legality of the thing, I could sell you bottled elephant piss via slick ads that imply (but never state, because that would be false advertising, and that would be Wrong, and coincidentally also illegal and easily prosecuted) that it's a divine ambrosia that will make you popular with large-breasted women and the envy of all other men. There might be nothing at all illegal about it. (Assuming I paid off the FDA, anyway.) It would still be wrong.

The notion that "turns a profit" is the highest moral standard to which businesses should be expected to hold themselves is one of the biggest flaws in modern society.

Judge the company and the products, not the CEO. OSX is just Linux, Android is just Linux, IE is just Mosaic, a number of car makes have Volkswagen engines... it's certainly not something to get pissy about and needs to be put in perspective.
I do judge the products on their own merits. OSX is just [strike]Linux[/strike] BSD, yes, et cetera et cetera, and C-USA's products are just comically overpriced and underpowered PC clones in retro cases, running a skinned Ubuntu.

I also judge the CEO, when he makes himself a presence in the communities I frequent. I don't make too many remarks about Steve Jobs because he generally kept to his corners of the Internet and out of mine, but if he'd come on here talking about OSX Lion and how Apple was going to work towards doing away with that tired, old-fashioned time-tested desktop computing environment that they themselves were instrumental in perfecting, I'd have happily shared my exact feelings in no uncertain terms. I don't much care about a hobo ranting on the street corner, but if he shows up in my living room I'll have a few things to say to him.

Barry's company has shown that they are all too happy to provide ludicrously overpriced products, ship with significant design flaws (cooling issues, anyone?), and don't really give two shïts about customer support until a large enough number of people complain that they can't ignore it any more. Barry himself has provided ample evidence to conclude that he's an unstable huckster out to make a fast buck off people who are so desperate for any development that they'll buy any damn thing you slap a chickenhead on, and also no small measure of an *******. I trust neither as far as I could throw them.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline _ThEcRoW

• Show only replies by _ThEcRoW
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2011, 10:41:43 PM »
@commodorejohn

OSx is NOT Linux, it's bsd.
Amiga 1200 desktop. Apollo 030/50 Mhz 8mb ram + ClassicWB + Wb 3.1
Amiga 500 + ACA500Plus + 16gb CF | ECS Power!!!
C64 DTV + Keyboard mod. Waiting for a 1541 disk ve...
Mac Mini G4 1.42Ghz 1gb OSX(tiger)/Morphos 3.7 Registered
C64mini + usb drive with loads of games...

Offline _ThEcRoW

• Show only replies by _ThEcRoW
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2011, 10:42:51 PM »
damn, you corrected it before i could point it out. :)
Amiga 1200 desktop. Apollo 030/50 Mhz 8mb ram + ClassicWB + Wb 3.1
Amiga 500 + ACA500Plus + 16gb CF | ECS Power!!!
C64 DTV + Keyboard mod. Waiting for a 1541 disk ve...
Mac Mini G4 1.42Ghz 1gb OSX(tiger)/Morphos 3.7 Registered
C64mini + usb drive with loads of games...

Offline TiredOLife

• Show only replies by TiredOLife
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2011, 07:33:58 PM »
@digitex

What about COS2, will it still be something other than Linux and is there any time scale for the arrival of that?

Cheers

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2011, 08:10:47 PM »
@haywirepc

Youre just so off the mark Im not even going to respond apart from to say 3 thigs:

1. Personal taste/opinion
2. Just 'cos *you* cant do something on an amiga system doesnt mean it cant be done. Ive run Windows/linux and beos on both aros and os3.x before.
3. Linux is about as much fun as shredding your nerps with a cheesegrater and almost s logical. (yes, there's a touch of deliberate irony there, just to prove my point).
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2011, 09:06:33 PM »
Quote from: fishy_fiz;667308
@haywirepc

Linux is about as much fun as shredding your nerps with a cheesegrater and almost s logical. (yes, there's a touch of deliberate irony there, just to prove my point).

;) Yes, it can be painful at times.

"I use Linux 'cos I'm into pain!"
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline spirantho

« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2011, 09:35:11 PM »
What I don't get is why so many people think the rest of us have never tried Linux, when I'd warrant there's hardly anyone here who hasn't at some point.

We've tried Linux, we don't like it as much as AmigaOS for whatever reason, which is why we're here. If we had liked Linux we'd be on linux.org wouldn't we?

As soon as C=USA does something that actually has anything to do with Amigas, I'll be interested. Until then, I don't honestly see why they're allowed to advertise on this site for free?
--
Ian Gledhill
ian.gledhill@btinternit.com (except it should be internEt of course...!)
Check out my shop! http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ - for 8-bit (and soon 16-bit) goodness!

Offline fishy_fiz

« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2011, 09:49:46 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;667320
;) Yes, it can be painful at times.

"I use Linux 'cos I'm into pain!"

It may be 'cos of a lack of sleep (I really hope so), but that last sentence gave me an overwhelming urge to find a picture of Tux in S&M bondage gear :)
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline spirantho

« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2011, 09:58:53 PM »
Quote from: fishy_fiz;667335
It may be 'cos of a lack of sleep (I really hope so), but that last sentence gave me an overwhelming urge to find a picture of Tux in S&M bondage gear :)

I can't find one, maybe I should fire up the GIMP and make one.

Do I get bonus points for irony?
--
Ian Gledhill
ian.gledhill@btinternit.com (except it should be internEt of course...!)
Check out my shop! http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ - for 8-bit (and soon 16-bit) goodness!

Offline digitexTopic starter

• Show only replies by digitex
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2011, 10:11:49 PM »
Steven,
Thank you.

Offline digitexTopic starter

• Show only replies by digitex
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2011, 10:13:29 PM »
Quote from: haywirepc;666995
I can't believe I am going to write a postive commodore USA post but I am... You see, I have tinkered with linux since commodore amiga died...Off and on for years. Linux replaced amiga for me for that being different thing being a commodore amiga user used to be. Linux is just beautiful, its different, its totally customizable, its open. Its FREEDOM.

On commodore OS...
Yeah its funny to laugh but realize this :

1) Any linux distro is worlds ahead of ANY ng amiga OS, so its not hard to stomp the competition.

2) Runs on any hardware, unlike morph and amigaos4 if anyone wants to try it they can if ************ lets them, but I think it will be reserved for people who buy their computers. (and rightly so, creating even a respin takes alot of development time and energy, which costs money)

3) Real browsing. No Really, any every day computer you use needs this and every amigaOS currently is lacking in many areas for this. Linux has firefox, chromium and many more ready to go.

4) Compiz - Its just nice, say what you want but it beats screen dragging.
And once you start working in 3d you will never want to stay in flatland. Its literally a whole new dimension for the way you want to work.

I use a 12 sided cube myself. I have a browser on one side of my cube, facebook open on one,gimp always open in one side, my email program in another, word processing in one, a system management screen in one with monitors, 3 game screens, blender in one, audio editing in another,
and finally, a screen left for anything else I may load.

All those programs are instanly accessable and ready to work at all times....Multitasked beautifully.

5) Customization - You can make your computer look and work anyway you like. AmigaOS, MorphOS and AROS have less options for sure.

6) Variety of applications...and games -  Linux can run linux,apple, ,older mac,windows, DOS, amiga, c64, atari st,and many many more applications and games. Linux opens your computing world to being able to run virtually any computer program ever written (with the right emulation/tweaks and so on) No amiga os past or present allows you to run so many applications or games, period. Linux can run virtually any computer program ever written. No really, amiga OS can't do that.

7) Virtualbox - Run windows 95,98,2000,xp,vista or 7 in a window. No amiga OS can do this. Linux can. Virtualbox also allows beos/haiku and many others to run in a window.

8) Easy to remaster/redistribute... Linux is easier to remaster, make a custom spin or redistribution than any amiga os past or present.

9) Your desktop mobile... Linux is easier to install to usb flash drives so you can take your whole computer with you everywhere you go, and you can load that on just about ANY host computer you will find with a usb port. No really, again amiga os past or present can't do this.

10) Ubuntu repositories... Ubuntu repositories are massive. They have precompiled and ready to install virtually ANY linux program ever written. These apps all ready to go. In their repos you will find programs to do ANYTHING you will ever need a computer to do. Fast, free, point and click installs of any program you need to do ANYTHING.

I am SURE there are more reasons why commodore USA is right on this move even if amigans won't admit it, but these are the first I thought of.

Say what you want, but the form, functionality, look and feel of what they can possibly deliver smokes any amiga os or varient so far.

It has great potential. Where they take that great potential is what will really decide where they go. Please take a moment to realize the potential before you instantly dismiss this idea.

Talk trash if you want, but watch and see what develops first.

Steven

Thank you.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2011, 10:18:27 PM »
Quote from: spirantho;667328
What I don't get is why so many people think the rest of us have never tried Linux, when I'd warrant there's hardly anyone here who hasn't at some point.

We've tried Linux, we don't like it as much as AmigaOS for whatever reason, which is why we're here. If we had liked Linux we'd be on linux.org wouldn't we?
Hell, I'm even using it, actively, now, as both Windows and OSX are going in directions I want nothing to do with. I wouldn't say I really like it, it's just the mainstream, up-to-date, well-supported OS that annoys me the least. Doesn't mean I wouldn't like to be using something else with a more coherent, intuitive interface but a similarily broad software selection.

As soon as C=USA does something that actually has anything to do with Amigas, I'll be interested. Until then, I don't honestly see why they're allowed to advertise on this site for free?
Why? Because this is the Amiga community, and that means that anything, anything at all, that makes any kind of pretense of being an Amiga revival is somebody's new Messiah and must be blindly and sycophantically followed, supported, praised, and proselytized at any cost, no matter how annoying it is.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline fishy_fiz

« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2011, 10:21:24 PM »
Quote from: spirantho;667338

Bonus points are only awarded if you actually find a picture of Tux in S&M gear.
All I can offer for the irony is a nickel plated no-prize with twiddly bits. :)
Well, actually I will give you (or anyone else) bonus points for telling me where that comes from (nickel plater no-prize with twiddly bits). Was in an Amiga magazine many years ago I believe, Ive just never been able to find it again since.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 10:40:56 PM by fishy_fiz »

Offline tone007

« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2011, 10:56:53 PM »
Quote from: spirantho;667338

Sounds like you know a little too much about S&M!
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

Offline fishy_fiz

« Reply #44 from previous page: November 10, 2011, 11:10:39 PM »
Ah, I didnt make the connection between GIMP and S&M.
I took the irony reference to be about a dislike of Linux, but still using GIMP.

Perhaps its *you* that knows a little too much about S&M?   :P