Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga audio capabilities  (Read 8025 times)

Description:

Offline Zac67

• Show only replies by Zac67
Re: Amiga audio capabilities
« Reply #14 from previous page: August 22, 2010, 02:36:59 PM »
Quote from: minator;575653
Er, depends how it works.  If it's modulating the channel directly then yes it'll stay as 8 bit.  However, if it's modulating the volume of the channel (I assume it does this) then it'll effectively be 14 bit.
Yes, you're right. The volume knob just multiplies the 8 bit sample by something from 1 to 63 - which would be the same (depending on how exactly the volume works, of course).

Either way, it'd be interesting to compare them.
Sure, maybe someone will code something like that some day.

As I understand it's the maximum output speed from a pair of samples in a buffer, however it's not clear if you can update the samples any faster than the normal maximum playback rate - you might be able to get the CPU to write them but it depends on how faster the buffer updates.
Usually the DAC buffers are updated through DMA and the DMA update rate is limited to two samples per scan line (why this boils down to 28.8 kHz I don't recall, sorry), so you either raise the scan rate or 'manually' feed the buffers from the CPU (just update the buffer before the next sample is played back).

Offline minatorTopic starter

• Show only replies by minator
    • http://www.blachford.info
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2010, 03:03:52 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;575642
Plenty of lead synths were mono (single voice) back in the day. Even my tone generator has a mono synth plugin board.

I think what he means if you want to play an entire tune a single instrument on a single channel isn't very interesting.

OTOH a monophonic instrument as a single instrument can of course be very interesting, be that for lead, backing or whatever.

If you were using an Amiga in mono mode I guess you could rig it up to play as a single instrument within a mix.

BTW As the proud owner of a Micromoog I know how good a mono synth can be.

Offline Thorham

• Show only replies by Thorham
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2010, 06:18:50 PM »
Quote from: minator;575653
Never knew they did it that way, how completely bizarre.
Not really. It just plays the loud part of a 16 bit sample at volume level 63, and the soft part at volume level 1.

Offline Thorham

• Show only replies by Thorham
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2010, 07:18:02 PM »
On a side note, shouldn't it be possible to use the Copper in a low color mode to program Paula directly, and get 44 Khz, 14 bit stereo that way? The would really be cool :)

Offline Zac67

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2010, 07:39:01 PM »
Quote from: Thorham;575689
On a side note, shouldn't it be possible to use the Copper in a low color mode to program Paula directly, and get 44 Khz, 14 bit stereo that way? The would really be cool :)

Yes, why not? Somewhat inefficient, but a cool idea, really!

Offline Zac67

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2010, 04:20:59 PM »
Quote from: Zac67;575656
Usually the DAC buffers are updated through DMA and the DMA update rate is limited to two samples per scan line (why this boils down to 28.8 kHz I don't recall, sorry), so you either raise the scan rate or 'manually' feed the buffers from the CPU (just update the buffer before the next sample is played back).

Hmm - looking around in the manuals on hand, there's just one time slot per scan line per channel (4 in total). How does this yield 28.8 kHz sampling rate?

Offline minatorTopic starter

• Show only replies by minator
    • http://www.blachford.info
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2010, 10:01:01 PM »
Quote from: Zac67;575847
Hmm - looking around in the manuals on hand, there's just one time slot per scan line per channel (4 in total). How does this yield 28.8 kHz sampling rate?

It reads 2 bytes per channel per line.  That gives 31.5 KHz, it's cut to 28.8KHz to save buffers.

Offline Arkhan

• Show only replies by Arkhan
    • http://www.aetherbyte.com
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2010, 03:34:27 PM »
Quote from: minator;575596
I've been reading about the audio hardware in retro systems recently and I found an interesting opinion in one blog post I found.  According to the poster while the term chiptune first appeared on the Amiga it isn't actually capable of them because it uses sample based hardware.

I didn't agree with this for various reasons but I thought I'd dig out the hardware reference manual and see what it said.  I was quite surprised:

Which blog did you see this on?  If it's the blog I am thinking of, disregard 99% of it as crap, lol.

The term chiptune existed before Amiga, that is for sure.

and i'd be interested to see how nice the FM tunes are that come out of paula.
I am a negative, rude, prick.  

"Aetherbyte: My fledgling game studio!":  << Probably not coming to an Amiga near you because you all suck! :roflmao:

Offline kickstart

• Show only replies by kickstart
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2010, 06:54:56 PM »
Quote from: Piru;575632
Here's a 350MB collection of chip music, using wide range of different trackers:
Code: [Select]
rsync -avP zakalwe.fi::chip /local/path

Any choice for download it with plain windows xp?
a1200 060

Offline Zac67

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2010, 09:02:16 PM »
Quote from: kickstart;576384
Any choice for download it with plain windows xp?

http://www.itefix.no/i2/node/10650
;)