Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AmigaONE or Pegasos, which one will it be sir?  (Read 22444 times)

Description:

Re: AmigaONE or Pegasos, which one will it be sir?
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2002, 12:00:35 AM »
Well, I won`t make my mind up until I`ve seen both in their final retail state

You can buy a Pegasos with MorphOS in it's beta-stage right now...

as for the A1 ...who the heck knows...
I dont consider AOS4 running emulated or whatever on an A4000T to be a product....
Isnt AOS4 subject to it's own legal issues with haage and partner anyway?...
I dunno why everyone focuses on the AOS4/MOS said FUD ...when there is FUD about the AOS4/Haage&Partner thing anyway.

get a Pegasos ...you can get one NOW... then sell it if/when the A1 arrives(wich will no doubt be a ways off and you wont be bound by the no-sell clause) :P...
next week I'll be posting my first thread useing MOS/Pegasos :P woohooooo you know you want it.

Offline bhoggett

• Show only replies by bhoggett
    • http://www.midnightmu.com
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2002, 12:28:51 AM »
Isnt AOS4 subject to it's own legal issues with haage and partner anyway?...

No.
I dunno why everyone focuses on the AOS4/MOS said FUD ...when there is FUD about the AOS4/Haage&Partner thing anyway.

If there is, you're spreading it.

What does AOS4 have to do with H&P?

There is a dispute between AInc and H&P, but not about AOS4. It is true H&P would not release their source code to the additions made to AOS 3.1 in 3.5 and 3.9, but in most cases those were programmed by third parties who were free to negotiate their own deal with Hyperion for AOS4. There's no dispute about any of that.

As for the Pegasos, if anyone thinks I'll spend 1,000 Euros on a system whose details are kept a close secret, then they've lost their marbles.
Bill Hoggett

Offline Rob

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2002, 01:03:51 AM »
>Well the AmigaOne didn't run at the last 4 fairs where it was
demoed

What you have to remember is that a lot of recent AmigaOne demos have
been made by local dealers you have only recieved the board a few days
before (in some cases the same day) and havn't had the time set up a
Linux distro.  I'd hedge a bet that the system have been running
though even if there hasn't been an OS to boot.

To be honest though you can't really judge either system yet most of
us havn't even seen either system yet, let alone run some apps or
games and had a couple of days to play around the the OS.

OS4 hasn't yet been demoed in full and MorphOS has only really been
shown booting into it's desktop and maybe running a few select apps.
You cannot really make assumptions about either yet.

Until proper reviews are made or you try them for yourself and maybe
have a few benchmarks availble to you then you shouldn't cast
judgement.

I have however decided opt for OS4 and A1 I have great faith In the
OS4 team and all involved.  This doesn't mean that I don't think
Pegasos or MorphOS, for that matter will be good products though.

Offline Jose

• Show only replies by Jose
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2002, 01:05:46 AM »
AmigaOneXE here. Well when I have time and money...
\\"We made Amiga, they {bleep}ed it up\\"

Offline Paul_Gadd

• Show only replies by Paul_Gadd
    • http://elunatic.host.sk/start.html
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2002, 01:18:36 AM »
@Rob

I agree, to many people are comparing AOS4 against MorphOS. which is madness, how the hell can you make wild comparisons when one is not even out yet,

lets all start a new thread "Playstation 3 Vs Xbox"  :)

Offline woneaTopic starter

• Show only replies by wonea
    • http://wonea.blogspot.com/
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2002, 01:34:53 AM »
I think it will come down to where the developer community go.  If Pegasos can build that up then surely users will be persuaded to switch?

Anyway how far is AmigaOS 4 off?  If it comes this year, I will be happy.  As long as I can have a not TOO limited amount of hardware in my box.  Still then half the system will be emulated.  Does this mean MorphOS will be faster?

Ahhh, which way to go?  I want a new Amiga badly.

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2002, 01:36:43 AM »
As for the Pegasos, if anyone thinks I'll spend 1,000 Euros on a system whose details are kept a close secret, then they've lost their marbles.

As for the AmigaOne, if anyone thinks I'll spend 500 Euros on a motherd that has a solderd on cpu and runs Linux ... not even AmigaOS4 , then they've lost their marbles.

Offline bhoggett

• Show only replies by bhoggett
    • http://www.midnightmu.com
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2002, 01:45:00 AM »
As for the AmigaOne, if anyone thinks I'll spend 500 Euros on a motherd that has a solderd on cpu and runs Linux ... not even AmigaOS4 , then they've lost their marbles.

Absolutely. That's why I think both rival parties are offering a pile of poo at the moment.

My advice is rather than go wild and spend lots of money on a Pegasos+MorphOS of indeterminate quality, or buy A1G3SE+some future promised AOS4, is to sit tight and wait for objective and comprehensive reviews of the products.

If the manufacturers don't want to tell you what you're buying, don't buy anything until you can find out for yourself.
Bill Hoggett

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2002, 01:48:35 AM »
ahh well thats logical...But I like Pegasos... and i want MacOnLinux :P... I plan to run LinuxPPC+MOL as much if not more then MorphOS anyway... 1000$ isnt to bad for what I'm getting.

Offline strobe

• Show only replies by strobe
    • http://216.239.51.100/search?q=cache:7XQQZXN3cS4C:www.amiga.com/corporate/amigadepartypack.shtml
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2002, 02:10:13 AM »
Why are people so convinced that AOS4 exists? It is with this premise that they decide what hardware to buy?

I will bet anybody here $1000 USD that AOS4 will not even be DEMONSTRATED in any form on the A1 this year!!! It's a friggin impossibility!

Hyperion would have demonstrated AOS4 running on a A4000 by now if they could have. They only recently bragged about completing exec like they were parting the Red Sea!.

One thing I know for sure: BetatesterII does NOT require an NDA so anybody who gets it will be able to review it and talk openly about developing apps for it.

Meanwhile at the AmigaOne display I see tumbleweeds...

« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2002, 02:23:10 AM »
strobe you dont get it...Amiga I have found isnt about wether or not something excists, how long it will take to excist, if its any good or not, if it's hardware sucks, if its general policy stinks, or wether or not you even like the end result of it.

Amiga is about one thing... the 'NAME" Amiga...it isnt about.

Quality
Stability
Applications
Product Support
Service
Logic
Wisdom

or anything else even slightly related to it... Amiga zealots even the ones zealot for the OS have gone into 'Name' lovers these days...Thats why I'm getting Pegasos/MOS .

Offline Paul_Gadd

• Show only replies by Paul_Gadd
    • http://elunatic.host.sk/start.html
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2002, 02:25:08 AM »
So people who have pre ordered the A1 motherboard will recieve it but will only be able to run Linux on it? or will they not get it till AOS4 eventually comes out?

Offline Kay

• Show only replies by Kay
    • http://www.stud.ntnu.no/~kayare
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2002, 03:41:38 AM »
@strobe:

> As for the AOS4 timeline, I don't have superior knowledge, merely superior ability to use logic.

Really, strobe, you would be amazed by just how many people think that about themselves.

> Why are people so convinced that AOS4 exists?

Well, let's see...the component demonstrations, the claims from respected developers who are working on it, the statements from the betatesters, the progress reports, the official statements about it...I'm sure there's even more. Now, I'll give you this, Spock, it COULD just be an exceedingly intricate hoax. Exactly WHY AInc, Hyperion, the other developers and the betatesters would make a hoax like this over an extended period of time is beyond me, however, and until you give me a good reason why, I'm just going to dismiss the idea as yet more FUD from a loudmouth zealot trolling the forums.

>  It is with this premise that they decide what hardware to buy?

In my case it certainly is, yes.

> I will bet anybody here $1000 USD that AOS4 will not even be DEMONSTRATED in any form on the A1 this year!!! It's a friggin impossibility!

Well, I won't take your bet, as you might be right, but to claim that it is impossible is just plain stupid. Or maybe it's just an attempt from you to spread Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt in order to promote Pegasos/MorphOS.

> Hyperion would have demonstrated AOS4 running on a A4000 by now if they could have.

The last word from Ben Hermans was that the 68k emulator was being integrated, and that this would take a few weeks. Without this integrated, they can't run OS4 on PPC hardware. So yes, they can't demonstrate OS4 yet. This isn't a remarkable observation on your part, though, everybody already knows it.

> They only recently bragged about completing exec like they were parting the Red Sea!.

Yeah right. They said that it was finished, alright, but I'd be utterly amazed if the uncontrolled bragging happened anywhere besides inside your head.

> One thing I know for sure: BetatesterII does NOT require an NDA so anybody who gets it will be able to review it and talk openly about developing apps for it.

Err...good for you.

> Meanwhile at the AmigaOne display I see tumbleweeds...

I'm sure you will see exactly what you want to see, and hear exactly what you want to hear.

Kay

Offline strobe

• Show only replies by strobe
    • http://216.239.51.100/search?q=cache:7XQQZXN3cS4C:www.amiga.com/corporate/amigadepartypack.shtml
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2002, 04:01:53 AM »
There is no reason to fear that AOS4 doesn't run on the AmigaOne. Furthermore there is no uncertainty that AOS4 doesn't run on the AmigaOne. Not now, not when the A1 is sold, and not any time next year.

The only thing I have is DOUBT!

« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2002, 04:11:34 AM »
last word from Ben Hermans was that the 68k emulator was being integrated, and that this would take a few weeks. Without this integrated, they can't run OS4 on PPC hardware

What your saying then is that OS4 is entirely 68K then?... if it where 'all'  68K (workbench and all) then you might as well run Amithlon because the big E world is what the entire OS would be then...
I had thought OS4 like MorphOS was going to be a native PPC OS (useing this native EXEC kernel in AOS's case) and that a 68K emulation layer of sorts was going to be implimented to allow old apps to run.

If i had known that they NEEDED this 68K Layer to even boot the OS i'd of thought less of it from the beginning even.
But thats pretty pathetic if it is true.
I agree though... whats FUD about AOS4...
It dosent excist yet and A1 dosent run it...so I dont think there is anything we can really say about it except that it's going to have some catching up to do if it takes them a whole year more to get it on PPC and shipped to the users.

« Reply #29 from previous page: October 19, 2002, 05:42:59 AM »
Well that just Prime