Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Windows 8 Tablet and Traditional Windows Apps.  (Read 2422 times)

Description:

Offline XDelusionTopic starter

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
Windows 8 Tablet and Traditional Windows Apps.
« on: February 06, 2014, 03:42:18 AM »
I have been pondering the idea of picking up a cheap, tiny laptop strictly for the purpose of backing up the samples I've created on my Korg's. This would take up a lot less space, though I am wondering. How well does one of those Windows 8 tablets work with USB devices that support Windows 8, and how do things control via touch screen? Same as they would with the mouse? Likewise, can I easily name a file I am saving with the virtual keyboard?

Those questions aside, does Windows 8 run crappy ala ME and Vista, or is the interface just sloppy?

Thanks in advance.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
Re: Windows 8 Tablet and Traditional Windows Apps.
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 03:57:22 AM »
What Korgs have you got? Just curious...
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 04:02:27 AM »
Kaossilator Pro, KP3, and a Micro Korg. I'd like to add another Kp3 eventually.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline commodorejohn

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 04:12:08 AM »
Nifty. The Microkorg is a fun little beast.
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline agami

• Show only replies by agami
    • Twitter
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 04:28:42 AM »
I use a Samsung ATiV 11.6" Tabetbook (detachable keyboard), very similar to the Surface Pro or Surface 2 Pro. It supports multitouch and it also has a digitiser pen.

Touch works just fine, as you'd expect it to. Typing is easy and touch controls also work in desktop Windows 8, though some of the widgets are a tad small as they have not been designed for finger touch but work non the less.

Windows 8 Start (Metro) actually makes sense on these kinds of devices.
---------------AGA Collection---------------
1) Amiga A4000 040 40MHz, Mediator PCI, Voodoo 3 3000, Creative PCI128, Fast Ethernet, Indivision AGA Mk2 CR, DVD/CD-RW, OS 3.9 BB2
2) Amiga A1200 040 25MHz, Indivision AGA Mk2 CR, IDEfix, PCMCIA WiFi, slim slot load DVD/CD-RW, OS 3.9 BB2
3) Amiga CD32 + SX1, OS 3.1

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 04:38:16 AM »
Quote from: agami;758515
Windows 8 Start (Metro) actually makes sense on these kinds of devices.

Agreed.  It's cra* on the desktop, however.  :whack:
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 04:42:43 AM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;758514
Nifty. The Microkorg is a fun little beast.

Mine is currently sitting in pieces, I need to get to the store so I can grab soom wood and vanish to finish off a project like this one:

Offline commodorejohn

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 04:44:36 AM »
Sweet :D

Offline amigakid

• Show only replies by amigakid
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2014, 05:23:23 AM »
I don't have a Windows 8 tablet but I have a Lenovo S415 IdeaPad.  Got it at BestBuy for $379 and for the price its a great Windows 8 laptop and the touchscreen is really good.  Just saying that for les than $400 you can get a this and you'll have the touchscreen laptop and USB ports for what you're looking to do (full Windows compatability).  I looked at the surface Pros and the price is crazy to me (besides I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet that is great).  Cheers!

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2014, 07:11:06 AM »
If you can afford it a Surface Pro 2 will do all that you are after. Plus provide a full blown music workstation and DAW. Tee'd up with a wireless mouse for legacy apps and a music controller pad for Surface you can run the runtime apps AKA Modern UI. As well as a full blown DAW at the same time and integrated. USB 3 and touch. But it is clearly expensive to have this capability. I have a Dell XPS 12 and the 10 point touch interface is usable but crap for write to txt in notes. The Surface sh1ts all over it from a usability perspective.
Dont expect to find this sort of information in an in depth tech review from a digital tech rag. They will clearly tell you surface is sh1t and get many thumbs up for doing so. (Cheers all round, here, have some more tofu doood.)

Having tried "Yogi", Dell, and Surface 2 Pro. I can tell you IMEO the Surface is a superior offering and representative of the price you have to pay.

Overkill for your initial thoughts though, for sure.

Or you could just get a $79 android tablet and you would have a cool $79 Android tablet to show your friends. You have to put your music productivity ambitions on ice though.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 07:23:20 AM by gertsy »

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2014, 10:18:15 AM »
i own a surface pro, in fact just posting from it, its semi ergonomic as a tablet and i prefer not to use apps just regular software, though its great as mobile computer so far. where id be cautious is midi usb compatibility with win8 and usb3, i came across devices i couldnt set up properly because of lack of above.

Offline psxphill

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2014, 10:24:14 AM »
Quote from: wawrzon;758524
where id be cautious is midi usb compatibility with win8 and usb3, i came across devices i couldnt set up properly because of lack of above.

There does seem to be an issue with midi with 8.1 on usb3.
MS are aware and trying to get it sorted & there is a workround.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/usbcoreblog/archive/2014/01/21/windows-8-1-usb-midi-device-works-on-usb-2-0-port-doesn-t-work-on-usb-3-0-port.aspx

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2014, 11:31:39 AM »
Quote from: psxphill;758525
There does seem to be an issue with midi with 8.1 on usb3.
MS are aware and trying to get it sorted & there is a workround.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/usbcoreblog/archive/2014/01/21/windows-8-1-usb-midi-device-works-on-usb-2-0-port-doesn-t-work-on-usb-3-0-port.aspx

Wow blissfully ignorant of that.  I'm using an M-Audio Fast Track Pro at 128ms Latency with no issues.

What kit are you using?  I haven't tried my cheapy USB midi cable though.

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2014, 01:02:26 PM »
Quote from: gertsy;758521
If you can afford it a Surface Pro 2 will do all that you are after. Plus provide a full blown music workstation and DAW. Tee'd up with a wireless mouse for legacy apps and a music controller pad for Surface you can run the runtime apps AKA Modern UI. As well as a full blown DAW at the same time and integrated. USB 3 and touch. But it is clearly expensive to have this capability. I have a Dell XPS 12 and the 10 point touch interface is usable but crap for write to txt in notes. The Surface sh1ts all over it from a usability perspective.
Dont expect to find this sort of information in an in depth tech review from a digital tech rag. They will clearly tell you surface is sh1t and get many thumbs up for doing so. (Cheers all round, here, have some more tofu doood.)

Having tried "Yogi", Dell, and Surface 2 Pro. I can tell you IMEO the Surface is a superior offering and representative of the price you have to pay.

Overkill for your initial thoughts though, for sure.

Or you could just get a $79 android tablet and you would have a cool $79 Android tablet to show your friends. You have to put your music productivity ambitions on ice though.

fruity loops mobile is getting better on android though way behind the ipad version.  still  not full blown daw but great for starting something off then moving to full daw
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2014, 01:23:42 PM »
A Windows 8, as in full Windows 8, *NOT WINDOWS RT* tablet will support all the USB devices and apps a normal desktop running Win8 would.

Avoid RT devices like the plague.  While it might be "Windows", RT is entirely incompatible with real Windows apps.