Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Repeat :: Private Messages  (Read 1821 times)

Description:

Offline HyperspeedTopic starter

• Show only replies by Hyperspeed
Repeat :: Private Messages
« on: August 29, 2005, 12:13:55 AM »
You Have Mail was on Channel 5 earlier and lo and behold my Amiga.org :: Private Messages folder is full again with notifications for new posts.

However, all 30 of them are for just one thread!

Argh!

Isn't there a way for a new message notification to cancel out a dormant one in your mailbox to avoid you opening each 2-tier recursive message?

It takes ages to read all of them, particularly since when you open a notify it opens another screen with the URL instead of the main inbox displaying it. You could then tell which was the same thread simply from the URL displayed under the thread name.

Just a suggestion...  this has bugged me for eons...

:-)

Offline X-ray

• Show only replies by X-ray
Re: Repeat :: Private Messages
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2005, 12:31:43 AM »
I already asked this, ages ago.

Edit: here is where I asked...

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2005, 02:21:54 AM »
I think I asked this early last year but Wayne wasn't in a good mood so I didn't tempt fate!

:-D

With each Amiga.org/XOOPS page being around 70k they are nowhere near as bloated as the new eBay pages but are still quite sluggish on an AGA/dialup setup. Every little shortcut and hi-tech wizardry would be of the utmost benefit to the 68k users.

I can't seem to get a lot of the functions working either, even with IBrowse2.3 (it even has a direct link to Amiga.org!). Those buttons up above the reply text gadget with font sizes and `Manager' written on don't seem to respond, neither do Private Messages.

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2005, 03:51:23 AM »
In short, no.  It is not possible to completely rewrite the way forum notifications work to make it less inconvenient for you.  You should be getting them by e-mail instead anyway.  If anything, I'll terminate the "notify by PM" since all it does is lead to clogged up db tables that have to be cleared out every month or so (usually over 100 mb of repeat notices).

Wayne

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2005, 04:32:56 AM »
Argggh! You said exactly the same thing last time!

I'm sure there's more people than X-Ray and myself that find it awkward trawling through 2 seperate links to view the notified thread. However it is an essential part of keeping up to date with people who need your help and who are giving help to you.

Please don't remove it... it's a well loved, if ugly, child.

:-D

Don't Xoops have a forum on patches and updates, or newsgroups where other webmasters can share their modifications? It could be quite a simple alteration, I've definately seen something about updating smileys and stuff.

Offline Lemmink

• Show only replies by Lemmink
    • http://www.lemmink.joice.net
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2005, 06:21:48 AM »
Is it really that hard to add the header of the specific thread to the "New post in thred" subjectline ?
Not really interesting, but it`s there.
http://www.lemmink.joice.net

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2005, 12:43:06 PM »
... as I said -- and forgive me because I am not awake yet -- if Private message notification gives you such a headache, change your options to receive them by e-mail.  It's much, much faster to view them on your own machine than over the Internet.

Editing the subject line would make it nearly impossible for us to go through and delete those thousands of useless notifications from the system every once in a while as is necessary to keep the site running.

edit : I am trying to look into it, but the way Xoops 2 works, it appears at this moment to be virtually impossible to change the way notifications work without MAJOR modification.  As will all crap Xoops, rather than simply call the text, it calls a file, which calls a subroutine, which calls the text, and at first glance -- remembering that I haven't had time to wake up yet -- there doesn't appear to be any way to pass the parameters necessary to alter the subject line per post.

Wayne

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2005, 01:20:48 PM »
test.  Someone please reply to this?

Offline KThunder

• Show only replies by KThunder
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2005, 01:59:09 PM »
hi
Oh yeah?!?
Well your stupid bit is set,
and its read only!
(my best geek putdown)

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2005, 02:00:53 PM »
well, that makes it official.  Nothing I can do on the programming, short of dropping Xoops (which I am very close to doing anyway) would allow me to alter the incoming e-mail subject on notifications.

Wayne

Offline cecilia

• Amiga Snob
    • Show only replies by cecilia
    • http://cecilia.sawneybean.com/
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2005, 02:08:55 PM »

Hyperspeed wrote:
I'm sure there's more people than X-Ray and myself that find it awkward trawling through 2 seperate links to view the notified thread. However it is an essential part of keeping up to date with people who need your help and who are giving help to you.

Please don't remove it... it's a well loved, if ugly, child.
please don't mess with the way this site works.

if you don't want to get a ton of emails, just click the button that let's you bookmark the thread WITH NO email notification.

bottom of thread -
next to the Thread list, click this button
"Bookmark this item (no notification)"

I do that and just look at my Notifications list. I can quickly look over the threads I want to return to (for whatever reason). no clogged PM box. no clogged emails. just a nice neat list right where I want it. :idea:
stop rocking the boat, please.
the no CARB diet- no Cheney, Ashcroft, Rumsfeld or Bush.
IFX CD Tutorial

Offline X-ray

• Show only replies by X-ray
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2005, 02:55:23 PM »
@ Cecilia

How do you get notified if somebody responds to one of your posts a few weeks or even months down the line?

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2005, 03:03:48 PM »
Nothing I can do on the programming, short of dropping Xoops (which I am very close to doing anyway) would allow me to alter the incoming e-mail subject on notifications.

Dropping Xoops is a good thing.

Dammy
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline cecilia

• Amiga Snob
    • Show only replies by cecilia
    • http://cecilia.sawneybean.com/
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2005, 09:37:47 PM »

X-ray wrote:
@ Cecilia

How do you get notified if somebody responds to one of your posts a few weeks or even months down the line?
after a thread has basically run it's course you can always go back and change the Notification to send you an email.
After all, you only have to go to your Notifications list and find the threads that you want the emails from.

I may one of the few that actually LIKES the way this site is set up, but there you have it. I have always been the most annoying person in the room: the one that likes what others don't like.

one of the things that annoys me about AW is that it's harder to find threads I've posted in, and I can't organize that info in a way that makes me happy.
the no CARB diet- no Cheney, Ashcroft, Rumsfeld or Bush.
IFX CD Tutorial

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2005, 09:01:49 AM »
Well I prefer to respond right away to calls for help, not wait a few months by which time someone has pulled their hair out and ditched their Amiga!

I also appreciate the 1st class butler-like service that a memo in the Private Message box offers. I was merely making a suggestion for speed improvement and think Xoops should be kept until such time a test-site can be set up so users can taste the new before dumping the old.

It's an exaggerated problem for me as I don't have a GFX card, I'm sure if I did the monotany wouldn't be so bad.

Can you imagine a life without the dancing banana?