Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: PS3 - X-Box 360 - Nintendo Revolution  (Read 10019 times)

Description:

Offline Louis Dias

Re: PS3 - X-Box 360 - Nintendo Revolution
« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2005, 12:46:20 AM »

Holley wrote:
Where's all this revolutionary AI we hear so much about?

This is where Halo 2 shines, my son and I have played the whole thing through about 6 times (about 10 hours to complete once if you don't rush).  

Depending on how you behave there's a series of different behaviour you get from the enemies and your own troops - the differences between the difficulty settings are just increasing enemy intelligence, and at the higher levels the buggers lure you into traps, hide in the shadows if they see / hear you coming etc.

I'm still not bored with it ...

Anyway, there's lots of games that are bodges, too short, lack vision etc.  The classics are the ones where each time you play something different happens, and you notice new things :-)

Resident Evil 4 has some neat AI on the GC.  Those buggers dodge out of your gun's line of sight.

Offline stefcep

• Show only replies by stefcep
« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2005, 01:41:05 AM »
I firmly believe the most popular console is the one that gets pirated the most or how easy it is to do this. It happened with the Amiga and later the PC, later the PSone and Xbox and Ps2. Console games are overpriced ( some say they are overpriced because of piracy, and others will say pircay exists because they are overpriced) and so people will always want to mod the machines to play "back ups".  The easier it is to do this the more popular the system.
I think if games were more affordable it would not be worth your while to use pirated software.  Look at DVD's:  In Australia DVD's were worth about $50 a few years ago, but sales were low and there was alot of pirated stuff out there.  But now the average is about $20 and pirates sell theirs for $10-$15 its not worth buying the pirated ones.

Offline whabang

• Show only replies by whabang
« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2005, 09:45:20 AM »
So you are saying that Nintendo will come out of this as a winner? :-D
IIRC, nobody has managed to break the GC's encryption yet, and there are no widely availible burners for the Panasonic Q-discs either.
Beating the dead horse since 2002.

Offline Linchpin

• Show only replies by Linchpin
    • http://www.systemmedic.co.uk
« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2005, 10:05:39 AM »
IIRC, nobody has managed to break the GC's encryption yet

You sure on that?
WinUAE Only... OS3.9 with 512mb ZIII ram ;)

Offline strobe

• Show only replies by strobe
    • http://216.239.51.100/search?q=cache:7XQQZXN3cS4C:www.amiga.com/corporate/amigadepartypack.shtml
« Reply #48 on: May 26, 2005, 12:37:12 PM »

whabang wrote:
IIRC, nobody has managed to break the GC's encryption yet...

Not true. Heck, I saw a video of somebody playing a burned disk on a Game Cube only weeks after it was released.

As for the relationship between piracy and prices, the relationship is likely overblown. Pirates pirate and non-pirates don't. I doubt lower prices would get them to stop, and the historically high prices reflect what paying customers are willing to dole out.

Speaking for myself, the primary reason I modded my PS2 was the inability to play non-US games on it, like the Winning Eleven football series. When they localize it for Europe or elsewhere, it sucks. The PAL versions are slow and the US versions are neutered.

« Reply #49 on: May 26, 2005, 12:45:09 PM »

whabang wrote:
I just bought a GameCube! 8-)
Only cost me 495 SEK ($67). :-D

Super Mario Kart Double Dash is THE finest racing game you will EVER play, especially two or more players.  Trust me.

Offline stefcep

• Show only replies by stefcep
« Reply #50 on: May 26, 2005, 01:20:04 PM »
GC a winner?  not sure, is it easier to pirate its software relative to xBox and PS2?  If yes I think you will find alot of consoles will be sold but not as much software.  I think the relationship between piracy and popularity is alot stronger than you think.  I know 14-16 year old PSone owners wih 300-400 games.  You think they paid $50-$70 Aus each game?  Where did they get between $15000 and $28000 from?  Hate to admit this, but in the Amigas halcyon days the easy availabilty of pirate games floppies was THE reason most of my friends and everyone else at User clubs chose Amiga. We learnt later just what a good machine it was for serious stuff...

Offline Einstein

• Show only replies by Einstein
« Reply #51 on: May 26, 2005, 04:47:21 PM »

stefcep wrote:

Console games are overpriced ( some say they are overpriced because of piracy, and others will say pircay exists because they are overpriced) and so people will always want to mod the machines to play "back ups".

Yes, Im sure no Company better then Nintendo could make us believing that, I mean, All the horrible PIRACY concerning all its system (!!!!!)  :-D
I have spoken !

Offline Speelgoedmannetje

• Show only replies by Speelgoedmannetje
« Reply #52 on: June 02, 2005, 01:51:37 PM »

mdma wrote:

whabang wrote:

Super Mario Kart Double Dash is THE finest racing game you will EVER play, especially two or more players.  Trust me.
Monkey Ball is a classic, too  8-)
(especially the sub-game monkey target)
And the canary said: \'chirp\'

Offline dentaku

• Show only replies by dentaku
« Reply #53 on: September 09, 2005, 02:04:13 AM »
Who buys a game console? Parents because they have too much money for their kids that cry out too loud. And soon they will learn that their expensive game machine and all the expensive games won't run on other machines. And when they buy one of the new coming up systems they buy new games and don't play the old ones because they look so lame compared to the new games. So they end ub buying a new console every few years ... they must have a money milking cow.  :crazy:
Now: Ubuntu Linux, UAE for Linux, AMD 900MHz, 256 MB RAM, GeForce FX 5700
Past: A1000 upgraded up to 68030+68882 TurboCard, 20 MB Harddisc, new Phoenix mainboard with EC...

Offline kd7ota

• Show only replies by kd7ota
    • http://www.qrz.com
« Reply #54 on: September 09, 2005, 02:18:37 AM »
Nice.

I might as well put in my input since many already have.  :-)

I am a big X-Box fan, so definately gonna pick myself a 360 when it comes out.  I can't understand why there are many haters against the console. If you hate it, then hate it!  :-D

I personally found backwards compatible ridiculous since now the chips they make now are way more complex then it was back in the NES days.  If you really want to play the older systems, then find one and buy the games that go with them.  Too much time is wasted in backwards compatible.  Can you people afford a simple $50 console by the time the new systems come out and everything else drops in price?  :-D

But seriously though. No objections to what I post. Nothing is going to change my mind, just putting in my two cents.  Everyone has their right to their own opinions.

Until then, rock on Xbox. The power of X.  :-)
-=-=-=-=-=-
Mine!  :-D

Offline Vincent

• Show only replies by Vincent
« Reply #55 on: September 09, 2005, 04:55:01 PM »

whabang wrote way back on 25/5/05:

So have I :-D

Just got back from the shop with it.  Only £39.99 too!

Got Resident Evil 0, 1 and 2 aswell for about £10 each.
Xbox360
"Oh no. Everytime you turn up something monumental and terrible happens.
I don\'t think I have the stomach for it." - Raziel

Offline Louis Dias

« Reply #56 on: September 09, 2005, 05:22:49 PM »
RE4 was phenominal!

The ps2 version is only going to run in 320x400 I think.  So they make up for it by adding more uniforms and weapons and expanded the Ada Wong missions...big deal.

I can't wait to see a comparison review as each game was optimized for it's system but the PS2 version benefits from coming out later with a bit more mostly useless content.

Offline Linchpin

• Show only replies by Linchpin
    • http://www.systemmedic.co.uk
« Reply #57 on: September 09, 2005, 07:13:06 PM »
MK Double Dash is awesome... me and my mate spend hours on it :)
WinUAE Only... OS3.9 with 512mb ZIII ram ;)

Offline Magic-Merl

• Show only replies by Magic-Merl
« Reply #58 on: September 09, 2005, 07:21:49 PM »
The Xbox looks outdated but I think it's the one I would go for.  Having seen what the PS2 does in comparison to Xbox1.  But I think PS3 will have a run for it's money this time around with Microsofts financial clout.

Although I have never owned a Nintendo,  I have to say it looks the coolest by far....

Offline Edpon

• Show only replies by Edpon
« Reply #59 from previous page: October 17, 2005, 05:55:53 AM »
Oh boy, here we go. . .

PS3 -
Yes it's backwards compatible, the single best reason alone to get a new system, in my eyes. Yes it's very powerful, and they'll have loads of RPG's, the second best reason to own a new system.

X-Box 360 -
It might be Microsloth, but, their system will do well simply because of all the modding communities out there. I have my current system modded and use it more like a computer for my living room, as well as an emulator for all the games I have. Competition is good for the community, and only Microsoft can really go head-to-head with Sony.

Nintendo Revolution -
More like Nintendo Mod-o-lution. Yes we all know Nintendo is legendary for it's Mario, Zelda and Metroid, but they are still basically a KIDS system. Their idea of being backwards compatible with all it's software ever made, is simply a way of cashing in on their old titles, and to put a stop to the illegal ROMS swapping going on with websites; which is ok, but is not really revolutionary. I will give them credit on their controller though, pretty interesting, we'll see how it goes.

Ok, now the real question -
Which will Ed be buying? The answer -
ALL of them. Why? 3 reasons.
1 - Because I'm a true gamer, and true gamers have the widest variety of games to keep themselves happy.
2 - Because My son wants one of the above mentioned.
3 - Because I like variety, I'll have access to all of the systems "exclusives" and get to experience it for myself.

Ed
 :-D  :-o  :-D
Amiga 500
AmigaOne 500
CommodoreUSA Amiga Mini i3