Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga 2000  (Read 2473 times)

Description:

Offline mrmoonlightTopic starter

• Show only replies by mrmoonlight
Re: Amiga 2000
« Reply #134 from previous page: December 19, 2014, 03:55:09 AM »
Quote from: gizmo350;780154
Hey Brian.... what's going on with your A2K? Need us to send over some techs? :)

Hi ,lol not yet my friend ,just that I have to break off for a short while to repair the plumbing that I keep putting off lol I hate plumbing which is strange really as I have been a Heating engineer for a few years ,but back to my A2000 shortly ,so I will be sure to let you all know ,thanks for the offer of techs ,lol but I am sure I must be moving up the ranks with all the knowledge you guys have passed on to me lol ,best wishes Brian.:):):):):)  ps Dig the pic lol lol
Amiga 1200 E-Matrix 32 bit Fast-Ram 20 gb wd harddrive
Amiga 1200 Compact Flash CF IDE Back Plate Adapter

Hisoft promidi Interface
MP3 MAS player
Amiga 600
ACA620EC Accelerator Kipper/type
CF 4GB
C/F HD
 Pioneer CD/DVD
Hisoft promidi Interface

Offline Tenacious

• Show only replies by Tenacious
« Reply #135 on: December 19, 2014, 03:05:59 PM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;779900

I see your A2000, Gizmo, and I raise you a second one.  If I ever have time for it.  ;)

Hi Mike

Since Brian is off on a priority plumbing project, :)  I was curious about your 2nd A2000.  Do you intend it to be a mirror of the 1st one, or, are you going to expand it differently for some other purpose?

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #136 on: December 19, 2014, 08:57:35 PM »
Quote from: Tenacious;780184
Hi Mike

Since Brian is off on a priority plumbing project, :) I was curious about your 2nd A2000. Do you intend it to be a mirror of the 1st one, or, are you going to expand it differently for some other purpose?

Ha, funny!  I might build it up like my first one, so I can have one at home and one at the office, maybe stripping a few of the parts from my A500 to do so, or maybe I'll build it more for games, or maybe I'll just build it up and sell it, I've got a friend of a friend who's been bugging me that they want an Amiga for months, lol.  ;)

One thing's for sure, whenever I get around to working on it, I want to shoot a video of doing so.  It drives me absolutely bonkers how many threads we get on this site like "How do I install Workbench 3.1", "How do I install Workbench 3.9", etc., that I want to shoot a video of doing all those sorts of things.  So instead of trying to answer the same questions over and over I could just post a link to YouTube!  :lol:
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #137 on: December 19, 2014, 08:59:15 PM »
PS - @gizmo350 - I totally just stole your picture and reposted it on my Facebook.  Thanks!  :lol:
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

« Reply #138 on: December 20, 2014, 07:39:13 PM »
Hi just a quick update ,whilst I take a break from plumbing ,I managed to fit the roms ok ,and booted up with just the harddrive and one floppy connected and I am afraid no drive showed up ,I even tried just the harddrive as that has os 3.5 but nothing again only the floppy screen ,so I think I will buy a Buddha from Amigakit  as I already have a new TrueIDE and loads of cf cards which I would prefer ,giving the noise that one of the other drives makes which is being returned ,I am not sure this option is the best one, but both my A1200 and A600 run off cf cards and they run wonderfully well ,so as soon as Amigakit have sorted me a Buddha out ,I will buy one ,best wishes Brian:):):)

Hisoft promidi Interface
MP3 MAS player
Amiga 600
CF 4GB
C/F HD
 Pioneer CD/DVD
Hisoft promidi Interface

Offline paul1981

« Reply #139 on: December 21, 2014, 10:39:58 AM »
Quote from: mrmoonlight;780287
Hi just a quick update ,whilst I take a break from plumbing ,I managed to fit the roms ok ,and booted up with just the harddrive and one floppy connected and I am afraid no drive showed up ,I even tried just the harddrive as that has os 3.5 but nothing again only the floppy screen ,so I think I will buy a Buddha from Amigakit  as I already have a new TrueIDE and loads of cf cards which I would prefer ,giving the noise that one of the other drives makes which is being returned ,I am not sure this option is the best one, but both my A1200 and A600 run off cf cards and they run wonderfully well ,so as soon as Amigakit have sorted me a Buddha out ,I will buy one ,best wishes Brian:):):)

I haven't been following this thread closely, but I wouldn't be giving up so easily on your SCSI setup. SCSI is a faster solution for slow computers, and your A2000 definitely falls into this category. Plus, learning all this stuff will become useful to you, and it's all part of the experience.
There's plenty of people here to help you, so there's no need to worry about getting stuck on anything. :)

« Reply #140 on: December 21, 2014, 03:59:22 PM »
Quote from: paul1981;780325
I haven't been following this thread closely, but I wouldn't be giving up so easily on your SCSI setup. SCSI is a faster solution for slow computers, and your A2000 definitely falls into this category. Plus, learning all this stuff will become useful to you, and it's all part of the experience.
There's plenty of people here to help you, so there's no need to worry about getting stuck on anything. :)

Hi thanks for your reply ,and you are right I have had loads of help which I appreciate and I have learned quite a lot along the way and enjoyed it no end ,but its not a case of giving up ,I really would like a Buddha to go with my new TrueIDE from Amigakit  and that would still leave me with options ,as I still need an accelerator ,which reminds me you helped me no end with setting the accelerator up on my Amiga 600 which I was so grateful for and she sure is quick now and works a treat ,best wishes Brian.:):)

Hisoft promidi Interface
MP3 MAS player
Amiga 600
CF 4GB
C/F HD
 Pioneer CD/DVD
Hisoft promidi Interface

Offline danbeaver

« Reply #141 on: December 21, 2014, 08:36:39 PM »
An IDE interface decreases the skill set required to get a storage drive (CF or HDD) working on an Amiga, but it is in no way the "Magic Bullet."  I would suggest that once you have a working A2000, go back and revisit the SCSI issue; retro computers are also a way of learning something new from something old (and please, in that line, the space comes after the comma -- some of us have OCD). :)

« Reply #142 on: December 22, 2014, 03:06:23 AM »
Quote from: danbeaver;780347
An IDE interface decreases the skill set required to get a storage drive (CF or HDD) working on an Amiga, but it is in no way the "Magic Bullet." I would suggest that once you have a working A2000, go back and revisit the SCSI issue; retro computers are also a way of learning something new from something old (and please, in that line, the space comes after the comma -- some of us have OCD). :)

Hi I have every intention at having another go at the SCSI issue; but having purchased one  SCSI  drive which was extremely expensive and the other came with the A 2000 as being both very noisy, I feel that my way forward may be with the Cf card, and after seeing how new technology turned my A12. and A600 in to two beautiful joy to use retro computers whilst still retaining the retro and keeping the Amiga alive, I don't see this as a cop out but a means of continuing a wonderful hobby even with limited knowledge, as you must agree , I certainly have, so a Magic bullet I don't look for but the Magic of using all my Amiga's is more than I could ever have expected when I first started off, and I owe a huge thanks to folk on this forum for that, so on we go, very best wishes Brian.:):):):)

Hisoft promidi Interface
MP3 MAS player
Amiga 600
CF 4GB
C/F HD
 Pioneer CD/DVD
Hisoft promidi Interface