Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: which is best for music Atari or Amiga  (Read 9199 times)

Description:

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
Re: which is best for music Atari or Amiga
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2014, 02:12:52 PM »
Ral-clan is quite right, Atari music software didn't really get much love after the early 90's... Mostly just updates and bug fixes to existing software, from Steinberg etc...

Offline Linde

• Show only replies by Linde
    • http://hata.zor.org/
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2014, 03:44:59 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;757457
That's an easy question to answer now, as the Amiga has a distinctive and unique grungy 8bit audio ability, the Atari only really had MIDI capability. Any modern computer will have infinitely better midi capability (most midi is sent via USB now), and also better software than any Atari... But I can still throw some Audio through my A1200 and use it as an FX box! :)

To be perfectly fair, the weird combination of sporting an at at the time quite primitive YM2149 together with the comparably modern 68k affords the Atari ST to have a quite unique and grungy sound of its own that I would say surpasses the Amiga by far in the qualities you mention.

Offline mrmoonlightTopic starter

• Show only replies by mrmoonlight
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2014, 03:46:39 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;757480
Ral-clan is quite right, Atari music software didn't really get much love after the early 90's... Mostly just updates and bug fixes to existing software, from Steinberg etc...

Hi I do thank every one for there input and I have managed to get a copy of Bars and Pipes for my Amiga ,but I just had to go and get myself the Atari st ,  so I have just bought this ,here's the read up

This is an st on steriods! It is a 520 fm ramped up to 4 meg. It has a 1040 cover on it.
Fully working and not yellowing like most old computers. Pics dont do it justice. Comes with atari mouse, 2 joysticks which i forgot to include in pictures.( only tested one) manuals, power and ed leads, loads of GameS! Not tested every game as that would take ages with this kit! Ones i did try worked fine though.
Boxed Games are
Godfather
Shadoworlds
Elite 2
Battlezone
Railroad tycoon
Leisure %&$#?@!%&$#?@!%&$#?@!%&$#?@! larry
Nigel mansells g.p
Winter olympiad
World soccer
The atari family curriculum.

A bunch of other original games and a whole bunch of quality demo disks with ideas and tasters of some other top titles. A few copied games too.

An awesome package!
  ps Thanks everyone Brian.
Amiga 1200 E-Matrix 32 bit Fast-Ram 20 gb wd harddrive
Amiga 1200 Compact Flash CF IDE Back Plate Adapter

Hisoft promidi Interface
MP3 MAS player
Amiga 600
ACA620EC Accelerator Kipper/type
CF 4GB
C/F HD
 Pioneer CD/DVD
Hisoft promidi Interface

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2014, 04:40:51 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;757464
To be honest, the human ear can't really determine any discrepancy below about 12ms, and at high tempo it is even less sensitive.
Maybe not as timing differences, but they can still change the relative phase of the sounds, and especially on heavily time-variant sounds like drums and bass, that can make a difference.

Quote from: bloodline;757473
Music now has been commoditised, most people  just want to hear something that sounds like what they have already  heard, they don't have the same relationship with music that we would  have had many years ago. Music is easy to get and free. There is no  discovery or investment from the audience, hence little incentive for  creativity by the artists.
Well that's a damn poor excuse for not exercising creativity. Making good things is its own reward, and screw the people who want their same-old processed-cheese pop.

Anyway, yeah, the Amiga may be outclassed by modern gear if you look at straight specs, but specs-oriented thinking is a disease. Nobody ever listened to a '53 Les Paul and said "geez, it sounds so old! I'd be better off with something new and advanced!" Look at it as an instrument and the Amiga has a unique, gritty sound that's well worth playing with.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2014, 05:05:31 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;757480

To me it looks Atari was preferred by professionals and Amiga by amateurs :-)

I mean, music productions created on Amiga are mostly mod songs while on Atari some composers got their creations to hit charts.
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2014, 05:29:53 PM »
Quote from: itix;757489

I mean, music productions created on Amiga are mostly mod songs while on Atari some composers got their creations to hit charts.

Thanks very much for the info ,this is one of the songs that the Atari was involved
{

http://youtu.be/lVL-zZnD3VU  here's the tune

This January, musician Jyoti Mishra - aka White Town - recorded "Your Woman" in his bedroom using an old multitrack Tascam and an Atari. Four weeks later, it entered the UK charts at Number One.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 05:36:01 PM by mrmoonlight »

Hisoft promidi Interface
MP3 MAS player
Amiga 600
CF 4GB
C/F HD
 Pioneer CD/DVD
Hisoft promidi Interface

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2014, 06:31:44 PM »
What would you suggest as a modern music program?   Something that's good for amateurs?

Quote from: bloodline;757460
The Falcon was a better machine for 1993, but I took the OP's question as looking at the machines now.

Back in the day, the Atari had better MIDI support and consequently more mature software. The Falcon just added good quality Audio to that.

Now, the cheapest PC/Mac will have better quality Audio, better software (for free), and better support for modern instruments (which tend to use USB over MIDI ports) than any Atari.

The Amiga on the other hand, can have a cheap MIDI box added, has some interesting software (some find these strange packages very creative, myself included) and still as a unique audio sound that can't be reproduced easily on modern hardware.

And yes. I will always throw my tuppence in a music thread ;)

-edit- for the record I do actually have an Atari ST here, but I'm only keeping it around so I can see AROS run on it one day ;) hahaha
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2014, 06:39:42 PM »
Quote from: Linde;757485
To be perfectly fair, the weird combination of sporting an at at the time quite primitive YM2149 together with the comparably modern 68k affords the Atari ST to have a quite unique and grungy sound of its own that I would say surpasses the Amiga by far in the qualities you mention.

I rather like the YM2149, so much so I've included it in a few projects recently.
Given a choice between an OPN2 or OPN3 chip and Paula, I'd take the Yamaha sound chip.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline rdolores

• Show only replies by rdolores
    • http://www.rdolores.com
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2014, 06:59:43 PM »
Can't say anything about the Atari since I never had one.  But I had tons of fun with my Amiga's going back to the mid-eighties.  I pretty much used Deluxe Music on my Amiga for all my compositions and added MIDI-capability with an ECE MIDI interface and Casio CZ-101 synth, and mixed them with an old Radio Shack mixer fed into a Sharp receiver and outputted to my BOSE speakers.

I'd like to eventually output some of that stuff on to modern media so I can upload them to Youtube like this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orF17hcQwOc

Quote from: mrmoonlight;757455
Hi I already own a really good Amiga 1200 and a nice little Amiga 600 ,but I am very tempted to buy a Atari st  just for the devil of it and was wondering if any one uses one now and could say  which is best for music Atari or Amiga,,best wishes Brian.
A1000 - 2 Floppies, 2 MB RAM, OS 1.0-1.3
A500 - 170 MB HD, 8 MB RAM, OS 1.3/2.04
A2000 - 350 MB HD, 8 MB RAM, A2630, OS 2.04
A2500 - 540 MB HD, 8 MB RAM, A2630, OS 3.9
A1200 - 20 GB HD, 64 MB RAM, Blizzard IV
Amithlon - 49 GB HD, 768 MB RAM, PIII-1G
AROS - 80 GB HD, 2 GB RAM, P4-3.2GHz

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2014, 07:26:04 PM »
Quote from: rdolores;757494
Can't say anything about the Atari since I never had one. But I had tons of fun with my Amiga's going back to the mid-eighties. I pretty much used Deluxe Music on my Amiga for all my compositions and added MIDI-capability with an ECE MIDI interface and Casio CZ-101 synth, and mixed them with an old Radio Shack mixer fed into a Sharp receiver and outputted to my BOSE speakers.

I'd like to eventually output some of that stuff on to modern media so I can upload them to Youtube like this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orF17hcQwOc

lol hey that's me doing the Amiga rock lol mrmoonlight  and now I am going to try some Atari boogie lol Brian.

Hisoft promidi Interface
MP3 MAS player
Amiga 600
CF 4GB
C/F HD
 Pioneer CD/DVD
Hisoft promidi Interface

Offline psxphill

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2014, 07:55:57 PM »
Quote from: ral-clan;757479
I've also heard about the Atari having very tight MIDI timing, and I've even heard some people complain about Amiga's sloppy MIDI timing.

This doesn't make any sense at a hardware level. The Amiga was multitasking though, so if the software wasn't written well then that could cause problems.

There is also http://aminet.net/package/mus/edit/camd which tried to become a standard, but I don't know how good that was.

Or you could use a c64

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BICygZRkKF4

Offline Ral-Clan

• Show only replies by Ral-Clan
    • http://www3.sympatico.ca/clarke-santin/
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2014, 08:16:02 PM »

I think that was mostly due to the fact that the Atari had a built in MIDI interface, while for the Amiga you had to buy an add-on.

If a non-tech savvy musician went into a computer store in the mid-1980s to buy his/her first computer for MIDI work, and the salesperson showed you two computers, but one had a MIDI interface built in (Atari) and the other did not, which do you think he/she would buy? Atari also marketed heavily to musicians because of this built-in feature.

That's pretty much the whole reason why Atari is more recognized in among musicians - but there's nothing the Atari could do that the Amiga could not.

Besides, lots of Amiga musicians got professional exposure - one that comes to mind right away is Calvin Harris, but I'm sure there were loads of others.  The Amiga and the SunRise516 card means that a lot of Amiga composed music ended up on the soundtracks of TV shows and movies.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 11:52:44 PM by ral-clan »
Music I've made using Amigas and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2014, 08:24:09 PM »
Quote from: mrmoonlight;757490
Thanks very much for the info ,this is one of the songs that the Atari was involved
{

http://youtu.be/lVL-zZnD3VU  here's the tune

This January, musician Jyoti Mishra - aka White Town - recorded "Your Woman" in his bedroom using an old multitrack Tascam and an Atari. Four weeks later, it entered the UK charts at Number One.

Jaakko Salovaara (you probably never heard him) was using Atari to produce dance few hits.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JS16
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline nicholas

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2014, 08:33:04 PM »

There wouldn't have been any Jungle or DnB without Octamed (Though admittedly lots of it was made with Atari's and AKAI samplers) and commercial music is mostly sh1te anyway. ;)
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2014, 08:51:34 PM »
Quote from: itix;757500
Jaakko Salovaara (you probably never heard him) was using Atari to produce dance few hits.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JS16

Wow you are right .this is what he said in a interview,he used both the Amiga and the Atari

Why did you choose Cubase as your preferred music production software and how long have you been using it?
When I started back in the late ’80s I had an Amiga 500, which I used as a budget-friendly sampler, and an Atari ST running Cubase, which was controlling various MIDI equipment. It was this setup with a mixture of various synths, mixers and effects with which I made all my records up until 1997. I basically had a loop of 2-32 bars running on the sequencer and I mixed everything live to DAT, taking as many takes as needed, sometimes spending all day on a track, others making five release-worthy tracks a day.

Hisoft promidi Interface
MP3 MAS player
Amiga 600
CF 4GB
C/F HD
 Pioneer CD/DVD
Hisoft promidi Interface

Offline nicholas

“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini