Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: SAM 440 - What would owning one mean to you?  (Read 5621 times)

Description:

Offline recidivist

• Show only replies by recidivist
Re: SAM 440 - What would owning one mean to you?
« Reply #119 from previous page: November 14, 2008, 02:14:49 PM »

Here's looking forward to SAM, as pricey as he is.

-----------------------------------------------------------

After much time spent watching eBay where old PPC cards fetch small fortunes and no luck finding such cards elsewhere,SAM is beginning to look reasonably priced.
 Even an old Blizzard 160mhz card is now up to $375 and the auction has time yet!!!!
 Might as well get NEW hardware when spending big $$$.

Offline jorkany

• Show only replies by jorkany
    • http://www.amigaos4.com
« Reply #120 on: November 14, 2008, 02:31:45 PM »
To me, the SAM 440ep clearly is an Amiga.

Would it still be an Amiga to you if it didn't run OS4? I bet not. But the real Amigas, even though they can't run OS4, are still Amigas. They would still be real Amigas even if they were used to run Unix or any other OS.

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #121 on: November 14, 2008, 02:44:03 PM »
Commodore went belly up years ago.  The Amiga is an orphan, new Amigas like the Sam are it's step brothers...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline Gebrochen

• Show only replies by Gebrochen
    • http://web.aanet.com.au/BlitterWolf
« Reply #122 on: November 14, 2008, 03:14:08 PM »
Well, I am using sam, and I am happy it is working. Unfortunately, it seems my psu within the second day of starting no longer works.

So, went to my colleagues, tested it, and my MOBO is perfectly alive and well.

Now we will need to try and find a psu that will fit the nexus case.

Apart from this, everything else is good. I am currently writing this via my sam, via another spare psu, which doesnt have sata support, but I did have a ide to sata connection converter, hence no dvd rom support atm until sunday, when we go to the swap meet for new psu.

haha, well, I am extremely glad my sam440ep is well, and am quiet content with os4.1, all I need to do, is set it up a bit better with software and so forth as soon as I get that psu sunday.

Mmmmm, I might do it at the sunday amiga meeting.

Cheers. 8-)
Courtesy of SAM440 Flex & Amiga OS4.1 Update 3 only & Debian
SAM Flex 800
CD32 with SX-1 Expansion & 98 Titles
x86 AROS
A1000 & A500
x86 Box Linux Cinnamon
https://blitterwolf.blogspot.com.au

:evil: :popcorn:

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #123 on: November 14, 2008, 03:26:57 PM »

Gebrochen wrote:

haha, well, I am extremely glad my sam440ep is well, and am quiet content with os4.1, all I need to do, is set it up a bit better with software and so forth as soon as I get that psu sunday.

Well, setting up the software and create your own personalized system is part of the fun! This is how it has always been done, a system booted from a standard 3.1 floppy wasn't really useful, right? ;-) This I think is the beauty of the Amiga; no system is identical to another, everything is up to the user to configure and customize according to his/her needs. It's the same with MorphOS. Have fun! :-)
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline recidivist

• Show only replies by recidivist
« Reply #124 on: November 15, 2008, 02:31:08 AM »
 takemehomegrandma

Your enthusiasm for the MorphOS sparked my taking another look at it,and ordering a new  $99 efika.
 Today the post lady brought a little white box ;inside a board and ..vas ist los?nicht verstanden!...oh,wait, flip over the instructions for English.Although I  might have puzzled it out ,it was great-great grandfather who was German.

The pci to agp riser was included which I didn't expect/realize was part of the sale.

I was thinking of using a  4 gig SD card in  44-pin drive adapter, not yet sure if there is a compatible gfx card on hand.

Biggest fly in the ointment: I didn't  follow the links far enough before ordering to discover the MorphOS license is as much  or more than retail box Microsoft OS. :-?

Offline zyphoid

• Show only replies by zyphoid
« Reply #125 on: November 15, 2008, 02:48:29 AM »

recidivist wrote:
 takemehomegrandma

Your enthusiasm for the MorphOS sparked my taking another look at it,and ordering a new  $99 efika.
 Today the post lady brought a little white box ;inside a board and ..vas ist los?nicht verstanden!...oh,wait, flip over the instructions for English.Although I  might have puzzled it out ,it was great-great grandfather who was German.

The pci to agp riser was included which I didn't expect/realize was part of the sale.

I was thinking of using a  4 gig SD card in  44-pin drive adapter, not yet sure if there is a compatible gfx card on hand.

Biggest fly in the ointment: I didn't  follow the links far enough before ordering to discover the MorphOS license is as much  or more than retail box Microsoft OS. :-?

yea but that wont stop you from trying it out just long enough before the 30min time out slow down
A1200T Mid-Night 060@50mhz tv tuner,voodoo banshee,usb subway,mediator,Dual Multi partition 200Gig 2.5/3.5HD, Twin dual-layer lite-on dvd 52x dvd-rw, sx-32pro030@50mhz my favorite system what xbox came from til someone says otherwise,A500 Efika...

Offline DyLucke

• Show only replies by DyLucke
« Reply #126 on: November 15, 2008, 09:40:02 PM »
I will wait for the Natami project to end up hopefully with success... I don't trust on systems that rely on emulation to handle classic software... I can do that using WinUAE.

So under my point of view nor Efika neither SAM are amigas anymore, specially since OS4 is capable of "almost" boot on a Mac... Or finally efectivelly boot.

It's like the new intel Mac's and the Leopard... Leopard can boot on a PC with some hacking. So these machines are not Mac anymore.

And yep, they have some new and nice pieces of software, but i would not spend so much money on a SAM440 when you can get a PC much more powerful for the same price, and use WinUAE faster than the Amiga emulation is on the SAM440...

In any case, i would go for an Efika, it's a fraction of SAM's price, and specs are not far behind the Acube board at the end.

Cheers.

The only way for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke.

A1200 Blizzard 060/66 64MB FastRam + 40GB HDD + Subway USB.
A1200 Apollo   040/33 32MB FastRam + 40GB HDD.
CD32!!!!
A500 4MB + 2GB IDE-CF adapter.
Mac Mini G4 1,5ghz  waiting for MorphOS.
C64, C64C, C64G, C128... 1541U-II.
Atari STe... SatanDisk, Atari 130XE... SDNuxx

Offline Atheist

• Show only replies by Atheist
« Reply #127 on: November 16, 2008, 01:21:21 PM »
takemehomegrandma wrote:

@A1260

Oh boy, aren't you a blast from the past?

Hi takemehomegrandma,

If he's a blast from the past, you are the solar wind!
\\"Which would you buy? The Crappy A1200, 15 years out of date... or the Mobile Phone that I have?\\" -- bloodline
So I guess that A500, 600, 1000, 2000, CDTV, CD32, are pure garbage then? Thanks for posting here.

Offline Atheist

« Reply #128 on: November 16, 2008, 01:37:28 PM »
takemehomegrandma wrote:

Jahc likes to call his OS of choice AmigaOS4.1, and so does Hyperion. However, Amiga Inc (the IP owner) doesn't agree, and that's why they have submitted the lawsuit for trade mark infringement. Let's see what comes out of this law suit before speaking too much about Amiga resurgence based on Hyperion's OS, chances are you only will be disappointed if you invest too much hope in this one...

Hi takemehomegrandma,

Since you bring it up (constantly), first of all, Hyperion Entertainment are going to win the lawsuit, case closed. They WILL get to keep AOS4.0 and 4.1 source code, because they own it, and have a perpetual license to use the Amiga trademark and copyright worldwide (as they own that too), and if they don't, and call it BarfOS7.24 on Friday Nov. 21, 2008, I'll keep supporting/using it anyhow.
\\"Which would you buy? The Crappy A1200, 15 years out of date... or the Mobile Phone that I have?\\" -- bloodline
So I guess that A500, 600, 1000, 2000, CDTV, CD32, are pure garbage then? Thanks for posting here.

Offline Atheist

« Reply #129 on: November 16, 2008, 01:48:44 PM »
jorkany wrote:

Would it still be an Amiga to you if it didn't run OS4? I bet not.

No, the SAM440EP wouldn't be an Amiga to me if it didn't run AOS4.1.

jorkany the wise wrote:

But the real Amigas, even though they can't run OS4,

That's a false statement. Did you lie deliberately? Is knowingly lying permitted on this messageboard?

jorkany wrote:

are still Amigas. They would still be real Amigas even if they were used to run Unix or any other OS.

Funny story jorkany, there IS a Unix available for Amiga, oh, and even funnier, you can run old versions of MacOS on Amigas as well. Yup, hilarious. And guess what, the people who DID that ACTUALLY called their computers "Amiga". I can't believe it either;-) though! Apalling!!

Offline TheMagicM

• Show only replies by TheMagicM
    • http://www.BartonekDragRacing.com
« Reply #130 on: November 16, 2008, 01:49:24 PM »
is that the new Amiga OS?  BarfOS7.24 ?   :lol:  :lol:

PowerMac G5 dual 2.0ghz/128meg Radeon/500gb HD/2GB RAM, MorphOS 3.9 registered, user #1900
Powerbook G4 5,6 1.67ghz/2gb RAM, Radeon 9700/250gb hd, MorphOS 3.9 registered #3143

Offline Atheist

« Reply #131 on: November 16, 2008, 03:41:51 PM »
takemehomegrandma wrote:

The future would disappear in an instant, the OS development would stop, all interest would go away, and with that all SW development, etc. It could very well turn out to be a still born project. I'm *not* saying it will, but the risk is clearly there until all legal issues are settled. That's where the disappointment could come from. And no, there is nothing bold about that statement.

Hi takemehomegrandma,

Well, I was wrong when I stated that you have mellowed and are being quite constructive in pointing to other worthy CPUs that can be used, as you're clearly still in the red/blue war, as if the 2 asterixes are enough to disguise the FUD you are perpetuating, many times so far in just this thread!

Offline Atheist

« Reply #132 on: November 16, 2008, 04:25:45 PM »
Hi DyLucke,

I'm being torn in two..... We need this new HW for AOS4.x.

But what we really need is new more powerful CPUs on our motherboards. Preferrably in the 2 GHz range and dual core WITH Altivec (64 bit would be very, very nice, but dual core 2.4GHz 32 bit is just fine), meanwhile, the NatAmi has INCREDIBLE draw on me, as it is the original, and just pure magic!!!!!

It'll blow EVERYTHING away TOTALLY!!!!!!

Imagine, boot time, 6 seconds or less, and the OS maxes out at 6 Megabytes!!!!!!!! (I can't add enough exclamation marks!)

Also, a software bag of tricks of 10 Megabytes (compressed, hehe) on top of that could put a minimum install windross xpee to shame! (Anyone hazzard to guess how big win would be?) AND if it was running off of 2 * 16 GB compact flash cards in RAID striped array???
Hahahahahahahahahahaahah!!!!!!!

And to think, they plan to go ASIC after that, ..... more than 500 MHZ!!!!!

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
OT
« Reply #133 on: November 16, 2008, 04:36:35 PM »
You going to be in the court room on the 20th for us?  After the 20th, we all may know what is going to happen to OS4.  As for SAM440, from what I've been reading, it's a decent mobo but with the buck:bang ratio, it's not going to set the world on fire with sales.

BTW, I left you a PM. :)

Dammy
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline Atheist

Re: OT
« Reply #134 on: November 16, 2008, 05:01:27 PM »
Hi Dammy,

I read it and will reply, however I'm posting from my AmigaOne XE at the moment and PMing here doesn't work with AWeb 3.5.08. :-( Java hitch, I guess.

About the court meeting:
First, it would be totally awesome to meet the Friedens, but I think they are submitting comments in writing.

Second, unless someone else knows better, it seemed to say "in the judge's chambers" as in, closed to the public, I beleive??

Personally, I can not see any resolution coming from this meeting. Amiga Inc. won't budge into some kind of sharing agreement, and there's no way that Hyperion will give up being allowed to sell AOS4.x (and they shouldn't). Stalemate; lawsuit proceeds to next anywhere from Jan. thru May 2009. And, I stand by Hyperion taking the whole Pot 'o' Gold.

It's unfortunately on the slow side, the Sams. :-( And, they don't have Altivec, major drawback. This is very depressing to me that we don't have more powerful HW in this day and age. But, this is still down to inappropriate unavailability of support chipsets, but they seem to have endless variants of PPC CPUs available! This is a manufactured disaster.