Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The AmigaOne is NOT "just a Teron board"!  (Read 12853 times)

Description:

Offline samface

• Show only replies by samface
    • http://www.mindrelease.net
Re: The AmigaOne is NOT "just a Teron board"!
« Reply #149 from previous page: November 13, 2002, 09:17:02 PM »
...and now he claims that Linux is more user-friendly than AmigaOS. *sigh*

Whatever, man...
\\"640k ought to be enough for anybody.\\" - Bill Gates, 1981

« Reply #150 on: November 15, 2002, 08:14:07 PM »
...and now he claims that Linux is more user-friendly than AmigaOS. *sigh*

believe what you want...but that guy telling stories about needing to compile the kernel..and such ...is just bogus info... SuSE 8.1 is the most easy OS to install and setup that I've ever used... even moreso then WindowsXP... it's a simple 'click click click' process of install... AOS is much more complex to setup and get online and get working right...AOS4 may change 'some' but not all of that...

Offline jtsiren

• Show only replies by jtsiren
« Reply #151 on: November 15, 2002, 11:58:43 PM »
Glaucus:
>Oh give me a break, the A500 wasn't all that
>exciting either but they called it an Amiga and it
>sold like crazy! Aside from it's OCS chipset, it had
>nothing really going for it

But that's the point. The OCS made the Amiga 500 insanely exciting at the time. It was far better than anything else on the market, hardware-wise (affordable home computer market).  The Amiga was synonymous with excellent hardware as well as an excellent operating system. It was truly innovative and "ahead of its time".

Are you really claiming that the Amiga 500 was not an exciting piece of technology when it came on the market? Insane. This is exactly what the Amiga was about. Excellence and elegance. It had the best technology and "therefore" the best software. And that is why it sold.

The AmigaOne, on the other hand, is not particularily excellent or elegant. Compared to the current computer market, it is expensive and underperformed. Since this clearly is the case, the point I was trying to make was that perhaps we shouldn't try to associate the name Amiga with this mediocre hardware anymore and instead rely on its strengths such as the operating system and perhaps, if one chooses to think so, the AmigaDE.

Calling a mediocre piece of hardware (and I do appreciate their work in creating it) Amiga just to make it a bit more interesting is, in my opinion, potentially harmful for the trademark in the long run. Short-sighted thinking. Why not just have different names for various standard PPC boards and then have an AmigaOS run on them - and if we must use the name Amiga on hardware, reserve it to some special designs that excel in other merits such as things like the new iMac or many things the Apple does - they use standard hardware too, but at least they preserve their trademark qualities by making it unique in other ways.

The AmigaOne, well, even if it has been created with the best of intentions is a mediocre piece of hardware that is expensive and full of yesterdays technology compared to other competitors in the home computer market. Associating the name Amiga with that may help it in the short term (since the hardware is nothing interesting at least it has an interesting name), but may hurt the name Amiga in the long run...

Do we really want people to think yesterdays expensive hardware in a standard PC box when they hear the word Amiga?

Unlike AmigaOS, which clearly needs to go through its natural progression and that will take time and certainly they need to release something in between until they reach something competetive with modern operating systems, there is no need to call the Teron board an Amiga other than to make a selling point. The problem is, it also means that people will perceive it as the new Amiga and judge it as such - and I'm afraid that won't do the name Amiga any good.

Please re-read my post on page 1 of this thread and try to understand my point. It is not meant to discredit any of the people working on these products, but to discuss the potential implications using the name and how people will perceive it.

Offline mdwh2

• Show only replies by mdwh2
« Reply #152 on: November 16, 2002, 01:28:41 PM »

jtsiren wrote:
Are you really claiming that the Amiga 500 was not an exciting piece of technology when it came on the market? Insane. This is exactly what the Amiga was about. Excellence and elegance. It had the best technology and "therefore" the best software. And that is why it sold.

The AmigaOne, on the other hand, is not particularily excellent or elegant. Compared to the current computer market, it is expensive and underperformed. Since this clearly is the case, the point I was trying to make was that perhaps we shouldn't try to associate the name Amiga with this mediocre hardware anymore and instead rely on its strengths such as the operating system and perhaps, if one chooses to think so, the AmigaDE.

But surely, if we are considering the benefits of trademarks for the majority of people, then it is better to choose something that makes the machine seem good. Ie, a name that makes them think of something with decent affordable hardware - even if it is no longer true - rather than a name that says "Well actually, this machine is a bit crap, but you might still want to buy one, maybe". If we're talking in the long run, then remember that most people won't remember the AmigaOS as being good in anyway, and most people don't give a damn about what OS a machine runs.

That the strengths of the platform have changed over the decade is not really that different to other platforms.

Calling a mediocre piece of hardware (and I do appreciate their work in creating it) Amiga just to make it a bit more interesting is, in my opinion, potentially harmful for the trademark in the long run. Short-sighted thinking.

I can see the argument that associating bad hardware with the Amiga trademark is not a good idea. But I don't see something with an 800MHz G4 as bad or even mediocre - the biggest problem is its expense. But I don't think that necessarily harms a trademark, if the 'expense' is associated in some way with 'better' (eg, consider Macs).

and if we must use the name Amiga on hardware, reserve it to some special designs that excel in other merits such as things like the new iMac or many things the Apple does - they use standard hardware too, but at least they preserve their trademark qualities by making it unique in other ways.

Um, Apple use the Mac/Macintosh trademark for all their computers [that run MacOS], and not just odd ones like the iMac. And then when they released a different OS, they called that MacOS too. The AmigaOne will be just as "unique" from most computers as Macs are.

Do we really want people to think yesterdays expensive hardware in a standard PC box when they hear the word Amiga?

Do people think this when they think of Macs? Some do, certainly, but plenty don't..
[/quote]

Offline Tomas

• Show only replies by Tomas
« Reply #153 on: November 16, 2002, 01:51:20 PM »

takemehomegrandma wrote:
The AmigaOne board IS THE AMIGA BOARD, cos it's licensed.

Well, thats a pity, isn't it? I mean that you can call anything "Amiga". I remember a time when the brand "Amiga" stood for exciting technology ...

Then what about pc manufactors then?? they do the same thing... use standard parts...

You people wont stop bitching unless the new amiga has all custom chipsets, like zorro, aga...

Amiga cant do that, cause then who the heck would produce fuc*ing gfx cards?? Its just plain pointless... If you want a classic amiga, just stick with your old outdated Amigas.