Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga 4000T Power button repair  (Read 276 times)

Description:

Offline OshAmigaTopic starter

• Show only replies by OshAmiga
Amiga 4000T Power button repair
« on: December 04, 2016, 03:03:40 AM »
I thought I could tap the minds of the experienced Amiga userbase here.

I have a QuikPak-built A4000T that has a broken power switch at the front.   You can push it in and hold it to keep the computer on but letting go of it will turn the computer off.  There is no "lock" working to hold it in.

I asked in one of the Amiga groups on Facebook for some help and all I got was a "use a button from an old PC tower", but no help or tutorials on how to go about it.  When I ran Oshawa Amiga, I never once had to do this repair, thus this is a first for me.

So:

1) Does anyone know if there are some spare A4000T parts lying around somewhere (dealer/user group/etc)?  Or a source for compatible power switches?  I would prefer the first (obviously) but will use the latter if I have to.

2) Is there a DIY page somewhere online that shows how to do this swap (assuming I can find the part).

Thanks all!

Offline QuikSanz

Re: Amiga 4000T Power button repair
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 03:42:22 AM »
Quote from: OshAmiga;817261
I thought I could tap the minds of the experienced Amiga userbase here.

I have a QuikPak-built A4000T that has a broken power switch at the front.   You can push it in and hold it to keep the computer on but letting go of it will turn the computer off.  There is no "lock" working to hold it in.

I asked in one of the Amiga groups on Facebook for some help and all I got was a "use a button from an old PC tower", but no help or tutorials on how to go about it.  When I ran Oshawa Amiga, I never once had to do this repair, thus this is a first for me.

So:

1) Does anyone know if there are some spare A4000T parts lying around somewhere (dealer/user group/etc)?  Or a source for compatible power switches?  I would prefer the first (obviously) but will use the latter if I have to.

2) Is there a DIY page somewhere online that shows how to do this swap (assuming I can find the part).

Thanks all!

Never looked at mine but most of those switches have a spring latch you can see. Bad spring, a dot of oil? take a good look.