Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New Replacement Workbench 3.1 Disk Sets www.amigakit.com  (Read 6605 times)

Description:

Offline amigakitTopic starter

Re: New Replacement Workbench 3.1 Disk Sets www.amigakit.com
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2014, 12:37:21 AM »
Yes.  Quite a bit off topic :) an 030 is going to stuggle.  My 060 finds it difficult.  I will develop a more primitive GadTools version later for 030s.
www.AmigaKit.com - Amiga Reseller | Manufacturer | Developer

New Products  --   Customer Help & Support -- @amigakit

Offline trekiej

« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2014, 12:48:35 AM »
How about a cd called AOS 3.86 or 3.89 or 3.99? :)
I would be great if AmigaForever could have a program for making a disk set.
It could be an external program.
Amiga 2000 Forever :)
Welcome to the Planar System.

Offline Valiant

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2014, 01:08:27 AM »
Quote from: Gulliver;776633
Q: Wasn´t Cloanto´s workbench distribution license only valid for emulation purposes? If then, can this be considered an ilicit act?

Could anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks

Yes.

Offline tonyvdb

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2014, 03:25:41 AM »
Oh man! if I had known this was available a few days ago. I just ordered the 4gb CF drive and I should have had this pre installed.
Hopefully my discs still function.
Amiga 2000HD Indivision ECS
Amiga 4000D towerised OS 3.1 and 3.9 on CF cards
Indivision AGA, Mediator 4000
Video Toaster 4000 Flyer v4.3 Millenium.
202gig of video drive space & 5gig audio.

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2014, 04:19:06 AM »
Quote from: tonyvdb;776654
Oh man! if I had known this was available a few days ago. I just ordered the 4gb CF drive and I should have had this pre installed.
Hopefully my discs still function.

Contact AmigaKit and see if they have shipped your order already, or if not, have them amend your order to include the AmigaOS3.1 disks on your CF card.  Since Matthew just returned from his AmiWest trip, they might be a day or two behind in processing orders and you might get lucky (though they are usually pretty fast at getting their orders packed up and shipped out).
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline AAACHIPSET

• Show only replies by AAACHIPSET
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2014, 09:28:30 AM »
wish there was a store in australia
A500 3.1/8meg/2gigscsi ...wants a 040
CD32/SX1/FMV/FLASHDRIVE/  wants sx32pro
A1200  os3.5 030/50/fpu/mmu/2flashdrives/cd/   indivision coming ..............wants a ppc/060  ACCEL :laughing:

Offline paolone

• Show only replies by paolone
    • http://www.icarosdesktop.org
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2014, 02:15:27 PM »
Quote from: Gulliver;776633
Q: Wasn´t Cloanto´s workbench distribution license only valid for emulation purposes? If then, can this be considered an ilicit act?

Could anyone shed some light on this?
Thanks

OMG. 20+ years old software has been taken out from the grave of an ADF-only existence, for the delight of people who *needs* to use it on vintage systems, and you have to be worried about the licenses? This initiative should have been taken by the OS owners (A. Inc) or direct licensee (Hyperion), while you have to thank Cloanto, once again, for the great work and the useful service it did.

Relax, I am pretty sure Michele and others at Cloanto correctly verified all the legal issues before doing this, considering the attention too much people pays in futile things.
p.bes

Offline curtis

• Show only replies by curtis
    • http://www.suddenlink.net/pages/curtismc
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2014, 02:18:16 PM »
Got mine on order.

Just wish shipping wasn't so much from across the pond, but such is life.

Curtis
Outside a dog, a book is a man\'s best friend. Inside a dog it\'s too dark to read! Groucho Marx

Curtis McCain

http://pages.suddenlink.net/curtismc/

Offline tonyvdb

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2014, 02:39:00 PM »
Quote from: amigadave;776658
Contact AmigaKit and see if they have shipped your order already, or if not, have them amend your order to include the AmigaOS3.1 disks on your CF card.  Since Matthew just returned from his AmiWest trip, they might be a day or two behind in processing orders and you might get lucky (though they are usually pretty fast at getting their orders packed up and shipped out).

Nope, Missed it. They shipped it out on Monday morning just before I read this post.
Oh well....
Amiga 2000HD Indivision ECS
Amiga 4000D towerised OS 3.1 and 3.9 on CF cards
Indivision AGA, Mediator 4000
Video Toaster 4000 Flyer v4.3 Millenium.
202gig of video drive space & 5gig audio.

Offline cgutjahr

• Show only replies by cgutjahr
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2014, 02:53:21 PM »
From the press release:

Thank you to Cloanto for their support in this project

I understand it's a press release, but that's a bit over the top, isn't it?

Here's cloanto's press release on the matter.

Offline amigakitTopic starter

« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2014, 03:11:14 PM »
We approached Cloanto over a year ago with this project in direct response to listening to customer feedback on the matter.  We are grateful for Cloanto's help here by bringing Workbench 3.1 back into distribution.  Any genuine Amiga classic customer will be happy too at this news and that is what is important to us.

@tonyvdb
Sorry that you missed this - but thank you for your order.

@curtis
Thank you for your order too!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 03:13:20 PM by amigakit »
www.AmigaKit.com - Amiga Reseller | Manufacturer | Developer

New Products  --   Customer Help & Support -- @amigakit

Offline Niding

• Show only replies by Niding
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2014, 03:40:40 PM »
Since I where investing in some hardware bits and pieces for my A1200, I did wonder how long until my workbench disks last. Pretty much the reason why I got the WB 3.1.
For that inevitable failure.

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2014, 03:57:10 PM »
Quote from: paolone;776688
OMG. 20+ years old software has been taken out from the grave of an ADF-only existence, for the delight of people who *needs* to use it on vintage systems, and you have to be worried about the licenses? This initiative should have been taken by the OS owners (A. Inc) or direct licensee (Hyperion), while you have to thank Cloanto, once again, for the great work and the useful service it did.

Relax, I am pretty sure Michele and others at Cloanto correctly verified all the legal issues before doing this, considering the attention too much people pays in futile things.

I am relaxed. It is that it is just funny to watch the cyberpirate police doing this kind of thing. Irony at its best.

And, I dont need to thank anyone. It is just another business. If it was a non profit scheme, then they would surely deserve gratitude.

So chill out mate, and enjoy the bumpy ride! :)

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2014, 04:39:39 PM »
Quote from: amigakit;776627
This new distribution comes with some minor enhancements and updates:

- Updated C/Version (Y2K patch)
- Addition of Libs/workbench.library (for A-4000T 3.1 ROMs and 3.X ROMs)
- Updated S/Startup-Sequence (for 3.X ROMs)
- Updated Installer 44.10 and FastFileSystem 45.9 (to support larger disks)
- Installer itself is now part of the system installation (inside the Utilities directory)

As you may notice these disk sets are also compatible with the Amiga 4000T (workbench.library on floppy) so there is no requirement any longer to have two distributions of Workbench 3.1 media.

So what you (Cloanto?) has done here, is actually to de-facto develop Amiga OS 3.2 and brought it to the world wide market! Congratulations! :) And IMHO you should have called it by its "real" name, "3.2" beats "3.1" any day! ;)

You should have struck a deal with Geit and put the excellent Grunch tool on those disks by default! That way you could have provided an endless update stream to Amiga OS, further extending it by using AROS 68k components (for example).

But maybe you are saving that for Amiga OS 3.3? I recall some other OS vendor who once released a version bumped OS with the only update being the inclusion of a package manager! ;)

:)
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2014, 04:40:41 PM »
Quote from: amigadave;776630
Any chance we could see an updated AmigaOS3.9 CDROM published in the future, with Boing Bags 1 & 2 already added, plus a collection of further enhanced files that people have been working on for years for a proposed Boing Bag 3?

A great idea, Amiga OS 3.9 with all the related "boing bags" or whatever is a bit of a mess; it would be great if Haage&Partner would bring it all together into an Amiga OS 3.10 release to tidy things up and connect all the loose ends! :)

Someone should ask them. It seems to be some money to make on Amiga OS still, and if it can be done in an effortless enough way, then who knows? ;)

I know getting all of the contributors to agree to a new AOS3.9 release would be difficult, as some of them may have left the community in recent years, but it never hurts to ask, even if the answer is NO.

No need to ask, I presume the papers for Amiga OS 3.9 with all associated boing bags is already in order, it has been on the market for 1.5 decades after all, the only thing really needed is to license Grunch and build up a SW database, where modern AROS components compiled for 68k could be used to develop the Amiga OS further! Long time overdue! :) (EDIT: And there are examples of other efforts as well, of course! :))

I would guess Hyperion would need to be involved

Not at all, Haage&Partner has their own license, and they actually have a license to *develop* Amiga OS! ;)

as I believe that they own the rights to AmigaOS3.9

They don't, Haage&Partner does.

Amiga OS 3.1 is owned by Amiga Inc, but Hyperion has the:
   "exclusive, perpetual, worldwide and royalty-free, transferable right and Object Code and Source Code license to [Amiga OS 3.1] in in order to use, develop, modify, commercialize, distribute and market [Amiga OS 3.1] in any form (including sublicensing), on any medium (now known or otherwise), through any means (including but not limited to making AmigaOS 4 available to the public via the Internet) and for any current or future hardware platform. For the avoidance of doubt with respect to the exclusive nature of the license granted to Hyperion for [Amiga OS 3.1] (but without prejudice to any Existing License Agreements listed on Exhibit 1), the Amiga Parties shall during the term of this Agreement not commercialize anywhere in the world (including through sub-licensing), distribute (free of charge or otherwise) or make available to the public (free of charge or otherwise), in any way or form (including but not limited to Object Code and Source Code form), on any medium (now known or otherwise) and through any means (now known or otherwise) [Amiga OS 3.1] (in part or as a whole) and any Operating System exhibiting a Software Architecture substantially similar to the Software Architecture of [Amiga OS 3.1] as described in the Documentation"

But indeed this might not mean in practice what it says in writing! It sure doesn't look like that now!

« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 06:06:37 PM by takemehomegrandma »

« Reply #29 from previous page: November 04, 2014, 04:42:06 PM »
Quote from: paolone;776688
OMG. 20+ years old software has been taken out from the grave of an ADF-only existence, for the delight of people who *needs* to use it on vintage systems, and you have to be worried about the licenses?

I agree. I have never liked Hyperion anyway. Neither Amiga Inc for that matter.

:pissed: ;)

This initiative should have been taken by the OS owners (A. Inc)

They are not allowed to.

or direct licensee (Hyperion)

They are allowed, but probably don't want to. After all, they are *already* pushing what they consider to be an evolved product based on Amiga OS 3.1.

Yeah, it will be interesting to see (on moobunny of course :lol: ;)) how this unfolds!