Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What is important to you in an RTS game?  (Read 6701 times)

Description:

Offline yssingTopic starter

• Show only replies by yssing
    • http://www.yssing.org
What is important to you in an RTS game?
« on: January 15, 2011, 11:10:20 PM »
Please make suggestions.

In the little spare time I have, I am trying to build an RTS game, because I want to do it and because I want to learn AmiBlitz.

It will need a graphics card or WinUAE.

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show only replies by TheBilgeRat
Re: What is important to you in an RTS game?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 11:14:59 PM »
That it be playable with 1 meg chipram :)

Offline tasmanian guy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by tasmanian guy
    • http://www.amigaformat.com
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 11:15:52 PM »
Look at Dune 2 on the Amiga for inspiration it is almost perfect!
Amiga 1200 1U Rack project

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 11:26:11 PM »
I have played Dune 2 many many times. But more input is needed.

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 11:26:23 PM »
Factors I tend to look for in RTS

Base building / resource acquisition (as opposed to capture points / ground control, though they can be used in tandem).

A decent technology tree with new and/or upgraded units available depending on the structures so far built.

Variation in unit types/capabilities.

Balanced units/structures for opposing factions. They don't have to be the same at every level, but the overall potential of each faction should be comparable.
int p; // A

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 11:34:30 PM »
I prefer turn based, but for an RTS, I'd say, Dune 2 style but without having to click on "move" and "attack" constantly.

A pausable game is great too, for issuing orders.

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 11:34:55 PM »
Quote from: tasmanian guy;606933
Look at Dune 2 on the Amiga for inspiration it is almost perfect!

You are joking right?  :confused:

Last year i played Dune2000 from start until the end and it is really showing it's age. Remember that the game is the same as Dune 2 but with better graphics and music.

Let's see. No presets available for making custom squadrons, stupid AI, unbalanced weapons such as Combat Tanks, etc. But the biggest criticism of all is the same for all other Real Time Strategy Games - the lack of strategy. They really should be called Real Time Tactics (RTT) instead because the person who can point and click the mouse faster will usually prevail which isn't really strategy.

If you are going to make an RTS (RTT?) i think you should look at modern games that puts focus on strategy like Warhammer. Just my opinion :)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 11:37:09 PM by Kesa »
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2011, 11:36:37 PM »
Quote from: Kesa;606940
You are joking right?  :confused:

Last year i played Dune2000 from start until the end and it is really showing it's age. Remember that the game is the same as Dune 2 but with better graphics and music.

Let's see. No presets available for making custom squadrons, stupid AI, etc. But the biggest criticism of all is the same for all other Real Time Strategy Games - the lack of strategy. They really should be called Real Time Tactics (RTT) instead because the person who can point and click the mouse faster will usually prevail which isn't really strategy.

If you are going to make an RTS (RTT?) i think you should look at modern games that puts focus on strategy like Warhammer. Just my opinion :)

To be honest, on the computer, virtually none of them are "strategy" games unless you get into something like Hearts of Iron.

Somewhat unrelated, I'd LOVE to see a game in the vein of the Close Combat series for the amiga. Obviously might need to be simplified a bit. Heck, could even have graphics ala Cannon Fodder :)

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2011, 11:43:22 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;606937
Factors I tend to look for in RTS

I would like to see a more sophisticated unit balancing system than rock, paper, scissors!

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2011, 11:52:52 PM »
Quote from: Kesa;606942
I would like to see a more sophisticated unit balancing system than rock, paper, scissors!

yes, like what then :)

Offline ChaosLord

• Show only replies by ChaosLord
    • http://totalchaoseng.dbv.pl/news.php
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2011, 12:15:08 AM »
Make a remake of Age of Empires II: Age of Kings: The Conquerors Expansion.  The Ultimate best "RTS" game ever!

Once the remake is done then you can start expanding on it and improving it!  Woohooo!!!
Wanna try a wonderfull strategy game with lots of handdrawn anims,
Magic Spells and Monsters, Incredible playability and lastability,
English speech, etc. Total Chaos AGA

Offline ChaosLord

• Show only replies by ChaosLord
    • http://totalchaoseng.dbv.pl/news.php
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2011, 12:20:14 AM »
Quote from: Kesa;606940
But the biggest criticism of all is the same for all other Real Time Strategy Games - the lack of strategy. They really should be called Real Time Tactics (RTT) instead because the person who can point and click the mouse faster will usually prevail which isn't really strategy.
I call "RTS" games what they are.  They are action games.  Fast, furious, relentless, action.

If RTS games are strategy games then Turrican2, Ms. Pacman, and Stunt Car Racer are strategy games too!
Wanna try a wonderfull strategy game with lots of handdrawn anims,
Magic Spells and Monsters, Incredible playability and lastability,
English speech, etc. Total Chaos AGA

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2011, 01:06:16 AM »
Age of Empires II? Hearts of Iron? Don't make me laugh! :roflmao:

If you are up for a real startegy game try chess! Can't argue with chess being the ultimate game of strategy. The best strategist's in the world are chess players!

Offline Cammy

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2011, 02:14:55 AM »
Quote from: TheBilgeRat;606932
That it be playable with 1 meg chipram :)

I second this! I'd love to have a new Amiga RTS game that runs on the real hardware, and there's certainly no need for the game to require more colours or a higher resolution than an OCS Amiga can handle. Since this is a small one-man project (at least for now) it would be smart to keep it simple, not trying to add too many advanced features right off. Even he level of complexity of something like the first Warcraft game would be more than welcome to the Amiga platform.

Check this out for example, this artist pixelled a whole set of graphics for a 16 colour RTS game and nothing ever seemed to come about from it, perhaps you could team up and build the game that he was designing here: http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=10001.0

If you want to see what kind of RTS a 1MB Amiga is capable of other than Dune 2, download this abandoned example game: http://aminet.net/package/game/strat/battlecraft
A1200 030@28Mhz/2MB+32MB/RTC/KS3.1/IDE-CF+4GB/4-Way Clockport Expander/IndivisionAGA/PCMCIA NIC
A1200 020@14Mhz/2MB+8MB/FPU/RTC/KS3.0/IDE-CF+2GB/S-Video
CD32 020@14Mhz/2MB+8MB/RTC/KS3.1/IDE-CF+4GB
A600 030@30Mhz/2MB+64MB/RTC/IDE-CF+4GB/Subway USB/S-Video/PCMCIA NIC/USB Numeric Keypad+Hub+Mouse+Control Pad
A500 000@7Mhz/512kB+512kB/ROM Switcher/KS3.1+1.3/S-Video

Get AmigaOS

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2011, 03:03:35 AM »
I don't think 1MB is enough to make an RTS game anything great. It's just not enough Ram.

I remember playing Dune 2 on my A500 with 1MB RAM and was really frustrated at the way it slowed down to a crawl everytime more than 1 unit was on the screen. Then i watched it on a friends PC with 8 MB Ram and watched it fly!

I'm sure it may be possible to get around this somehow but does it have to be only 1 MB? I'm pretty sure most people who would play this 1MB RTS game who have classic Amigas to play them on would have expanded and upgraded them significantly with more RAM and faster CPU's enough to make a 1MB benchmark seem small minded. And you know the year is 2011 and not 1990. In 1990 1MB was a good target to aim for but in 2011 i think we can be a little more ambitious than that. What about 8MB running 25Mhz?

I don't see the point in limiting new games to OCS or ECS. It wouldn't hurt or be too hard to put more colours and a higher res in there. Especially after seeing the fantastic glow icons being made.

Just my opinion :)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 04:55:30 AM by Kesa »