Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Aros ppc port to ps3.Now that we have homebrew.  (Read 5391 times)

Description:

Offline nikodrTopic starter

• Show only replies by nikodr
Re: Aros ppc port to ps3.Now that we have homebrew.
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2011, 04:19:44 PM »
Yes that can happen under linux,but now that the hypervisor no longer prohibits access to the rsx and 3d acceleration is possible i think an aros version running under gameos without the need to load linux.Wouldn't that be better?

Offline nicholas

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2011, 04:34:44 PM »
Quote from: nikodr;607905
Yes that can happen under linux,but now that the hypervisor no longer prohibits access to the rsx and 3d acceleration is possible i think an aros version running under gameos without the need to load linux.Wouldn't that be better?

Have you got any experience writing graphics drivers for undocumented NVidia hardware??
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2011, 04:40:39 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;607909
Have you got any experience writing graphics drivers for undocumented NVidia hardware??

Very good point Nicholas. That why I think Linux will probably be the best place to start with this. The hardware is undocumented, but not completely unknown. There are already projects underway to create 3D accelerated drivers for PS3 Linux.
Then Linux hosted AROS will show some improvement and then if some courageous soul want consider a full AROS port - we'll see.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2011, 04:58:40 PM »
The gfx hardware in the ps3 is quite similar to a gf8600. Given time I dont think it'd be a huge stretch to get drivers written for it. The "problem" as I see it is the simple fact that it seems unlikely (and the responses in this thread support this idea) there'd be much interest in it. The only people who would be interested are those with a ps3 and an interest in AROS (or at best amiga os). Even then it'd be more of an interesting novelty than something a lot of people would use. For the same money or less a person could buy a significantly more powerful x86 AROS box, which is more practical to use as a desktop system, being that it actually is a desktop system  :) Im just not sure how much money could be raised to get a port of AROS onto a system that is relying on a hack to a console. This isnt to say Im against the idea, but as I said it'd mostly just be an interesting novelty, which doesnt pay the cost of a developer porting AROS to it (assuming someone interested in doing so can be found at all). While I wasnt a big fan of the idea for OS4.x for ps3 either at least I saw why people might be interested a few years ago.
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline Iggy

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2011, 05:35:14 PM »
Well, we know we're not going to see a port of a commercially available NG OS like AOS4 or MorphOS since that would place the developers in a precarious legal situation.
That only leaves AROS as a prospect on the PS3. I can't see enough interest to justify a native port, but it will be interesting see AROS run under Linux.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2011, 06:57:07 PM »
People seem to forget one thing,the amount of ps3 sold over those years.I know that there are plenty of them out there,so i dont think that one should go out and buy it just to run aros,but one that already has it -and we are talking about milions of machines sold- could just install it.
See the difference?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 06:59:08 PM by nikodr »

Offline nicholas

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2011, 07:02:34 PM »
Quote from: nikodr;607929
People seem to forget one thing,the amount of ps3 sold over those years.I know that there are plenty of them out there,so i dont think that one should go out and buy it just to run aros,but one that already has it -and we are talking about milions of machines sold- could just install it.
See the difference?

Are you capable of either coding the port or paying someone who is to do it?
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2011, 07:07:30 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;607930
Are you capable of either coding the port or paying someone who is to do it?

For coding graphics drivers no.But if and when the required skd libraries for cross compiling are available to the users i will have no problem to setup the sdk and start porting it.I could use my ps3 to test the port.So while i cant code gfx driver,under linux i could try to port it.

Seriously i believe in the next months an explosion of homebrew will happen on ps3,and people are really close to bring back linux without the hypervisor reistricting access to 3d.

Nicholas if you remember : back there used to be some 3d graphics coding under linux and sony killed it with firmware updates,so i believe there are people out there that know.

Maybe we should try to find them.

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2011, 07:13:06 PM »
Just found this http://psl1ght.com/ this is what i have been looking for.It seems that it enables user to code programs that would run under gameos,that is a kind of sdk.I will try to install it along with anything else and try to go from there.

Offline Iggy

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2011, 07:44:27 PM »
Quote from: nikodr;607936
Just found this http://psl1ght.com/ this is what i have been looking for.It seems that it enables user to code programs that would run under gameos,that is a kind of sdk.I will try to install it along with anything else and try to go from there.

Go for it. I don't think Nicholas was trying to discourage you. But if anyone want to try, again, why not?

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2011, 08:05:29 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;607942
Go for it. I don't think Nicholas was trying to discourage you. But if anyone want to try, again, why not?

I am installing the sdk under ubuntu right now,since it is over 2.3 gigabytes of data it will sure take time,but it seems to install ok.After i manage to install the examples i will try to get aros on it.I take it that aros works under framebuffer if no 3d acceleration is found?While there is some 3d access i dont know if it is enough for it to run on gameos.In which aros forum should i post if need any help?

I want to do the port,if no gfx drivers are required i believe i can do the port.

Offline Iggy

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2011, 08:55:38 PM »
Quote from: nikodr;607947
I am installing the sdk under ubuntu right now,since it is over 2.3 gigabytes of data it will sure take time,but it seems to install ok.After i manage to install the examples i will try to get aros on it.I take it that aros works under framebuffer if no 3d acceleration is found?While there is some 3d access i dont know if it is enough for it to run on gameos.In which aros forum should i post if need any help?

I want to do the port,if no gfx drivers are required i believe i can do the port.

Wow! For today, you are my hero.

Offline mpiva

• Show only replies by mpiva
    • http://members.shaw.ca/michpiva
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2011, 08:58:56 PM »
Quote from: jorkany;607874
There's a great media system for the Xbox, but other than that I can't think of a single other even modestly popular application to come out of console hacking.

That depends, do you consider emulators an application?  My Wii is homebrewed and I have to say it's MUCH more fun playing retro games on my Wii than on my PC.  And XBMC is not the only great program of this sort.  I use WiiMC all the time.  There's also some cool MOD players, Shoutcast players, etc.

I'd like to put this thought out there: the whole idea of running a desktop OS on a game console has very little traction and even less ROI.

I'd agree that desktop OS's are not well suited to consoles. Consoles are entertainment systems so they're well suited to entertainment apps.  However, having said that, I would not be at all opposed to having AROS on a PS3 so that I could run AMC. I'd probably also use OWB on AROS as well (yes, the PS3 browser really is worse than Amiga web browsers).  I doubt I'd ever want to do wordprocessing or spreadsheets on the PS3 but, theoretically, the AROS user interface could be modified to work well with a PS3 controller on a HDTV.

It would actually be very nice to boot a PS3 into AROS with a simplied interface that displayed the weather, showed RSS and twitter feeds, showed when I had new email, etc. And where I could easily stream music/video, play slideshows, run emulators to play retro games, and do some basic webbrowsing, and perhaps play some AROS games.  Why does AROS need to remain a "destop" OS?  In fact, maybe a unified goal of trying to design the best "console" OS could help encourage more development in AROS.
-- Michael A. Piva --

"In engineering, there is no single truth, no one right answer; there\'s a canvas, and you paint it your way, only with chips or gates or subroutines rather than actual paint. That\'s the Amiga..."
-Dave Haynie

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2011, 09:04:20 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;607953
Wow! For today, you are my hero.

It appears that there is some problem in the ftp server of suse,and it halts when it downloads some files....damn will have to retry later...

Offline Louis Dias

« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2011, 09:04:30 PM »
Quote from: JJ;607896
I would imagine for the cost of a PS3 you could buy a smilar powered computer.

Agreed XBMC being the only exception leave consoles to being consoles.

But you will probaly find some solace in lou_dias

And what solace is that supposed to be?

« Reply #29 from previous page: January 21, 2011, 01:16:19 AM »
Sdk installed succesfuly.I tested to make the applications included and they seem to compile ok generating the needed elf files,i also downloaded the utilities geohot used and others to make pkg files,so the next step is that i am downloading the aros source for ppc from http://aros.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/nightly-download?20110120/Binaries/AROS-20110120-linux-ppc-system.tar.bz2 once it is downloaded i will try to make a configure for a ps3 output and see what it does.

Will notify all.Let's pray this works.

EDIT: I am not trying to be a smart guy or something,i just need all the help i can get for this.I know it may sound strange to want to port aros to ps3,but if someone can help practically and offer some advice i would be glad to have it.I dont want to make you have other opinions regarding the state of ps3 if it a good console computer or something.I believe as a hobby idea it would be cool and fun to watch sony's machine to run aros :)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 01:20:06 AM by nikodr »