Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Oktagon 2008 SCSI Controller: How do you turn on the controller chip.  (Read 2252 times)

Description:

Offline cehoferTopic starter

I had a HD crash on my A4000D.  I read around here and on aminet and got a program that would fix the 4G limitations of the 2008.  However, I had to turn off the controller chip to do this or just pull the eprom.  Well, I elected to use the Oktagon utility and shut it off.  I did not have any success with the program so i want to reactivate the original controller.  The manual says to boot off the floppy and use the utility again.  When I try this I says that the controller is turned off and I start getting SCSI yellow warnings to click the right mouse button and I have to reboot.

Any ideas other than get a real controller?  I would just call it quits with this controller but it controls my SCSI ZIP drive.  I got lots of zips now I can put on flash drives or CDs if I ever get it working again.

Offline Chain

• Show only replies by Chain
    • http://chain.3dgrafika.cz/aktivity
are you using Binddrivers before activation?
too lazy to use shift key properly...

yes, that is in the startup-sequence on the floppy.

Offline spirantho

Oktagon 2008 SCSI Controller: How do you turn on the controller chip.
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 11:44:33 AM »
The Oktapussy drivers on Aminet should work just fine with the 2008 - that's what I have in my 4000. They usually create not an "oktagon.device", though, but a "2nd.scsi.device" and a "SoftSCSI_OktagonC9XEA.device" or something (check the resident libraries with Sysinfo, or Ranger or something). HDToolbox will usually pick it up too.

I don't remember ever having problems with re-enabling the ROM though. Tried reseating the card? Sounds like a hardware error....
--
Ian Gledhill
ian.gledhill@btinternit.com (except it should be internEt of course...!)
Check out my shop! http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ - for 8-bit (and soon 16-bit) goodness!

Oktagon 2008 SCSI Controller: How do you turn on the controller chip.
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 04:35:38 PM »
Oktapussy is what got me into trouble.  I cannot get it to work.  This all came about when my 250MB drive crashed and I got a 73GB 10KRPM SCSI drive to replace it and over come the 4k barrier of the Oktagon2008.  I guess I can play with oktapussy again though.

Ok,  I went back to the drawing board.  I removed the board out of my Amiga 4000/060 and installed it in my 4000/040.  I booted off the original disk and was able to turn the controller back on.  It must have been something in the 060 causing problems?  Anyway, I connected my SCSI Zip drive to it and it sees it just fine.  However, it can handle reboots no problem but when I power down and then back up, it gives me an error that it cannot find the softscsi.device.  I open oktagon prefs and all options are ghosted.  I then reboot off the floppy again and I am good until a cold restart.  

When I checked the box to enable the controller, I clicked "save".  I even looked in the pull down menus but nothing.  The oktagon icon is in the expansion drawer and there isn't anything special in the startup-sequence of the floppy other than "binddrivers".  Do I have to have a HD attached to make it work on a cold boot?  I am using a 40GB IDE HD in the 4000.

Offline Thomas

Look into the Expansion drawer. Binddrivers itself does not contain any drivers, it's just the command to load everything from the Expansion drawer.

I'll have to check.  I know I was fighting it late last night.  I thought I put the "oktagon" driver in the expansions drawer.  I'll have to check that.

Re: Oktagon 2008 SCSI Controller: How do you turn on the controller chip.
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2020, 03:51:24 AM »
Wow After 11 years, I was able to burn the Oktagon V6.10 eprom.  Now I need to test to see if I can get past the 4 Gig barrier.