Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Voodoo3 + Radeon in Mediator1200, Screenmodes Question..  (Read 3704 times)

Description:

Offline tboneTopic starter

• Show only replies by tbone
Voodoo3 + Radeon in Mediator1200, Screenmodes Question..
« on: June 10, 2013, 03:43:47 PM »
Hi all,

i've got my Radeon9200 with that 3.3v hack running in my Mediator1200, along with that oldschool Voodoo3 I used several years.

Now I want to see all the screenmodes of the Voodoo and the Radeon in Screenmode-Prefs, but somehow I can not.

If I keep voodo and radeon monitor drivers in devs:monitors, only the voodoo screenmodes show up, but I still get that additional fastmemory from the radeon gfx-memory. I need to remove the voodoo monitor, to get the radeon screenmodes show up.

How can I have screenmodes of both ?! Is that, because I just copied the old voodoo monitor and renamed it to radeon (set boardtype-tooltype to "radeon" as well).. ?!

ps: This is my first post!.. o) I've been reading here for years and like to say thank you for so many useful information and ideas.. o)

Nice regards,
Rob.

Offline pVC

Re: Voodoo3 + Radeon in Mediator1200, Screenmodes Question..
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 04:47:16 PM »
I can't test now... and I'm not sure if I remember correctly, but did you need to attach second gfx card from Picasso96-mode program? From pulldown menu there.

And when you get both modes to work, if inactive screen goes blank, then there was some monitor tooltype (display chain or similar) to get both displays kept active.
Daily MorphOS user and Amiga active.

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 07:08:51 PM »
Mhh, yes I attached my displaymode settings to the radeon via picasso96mode, at least I think I did.. o) I guess, in case I missed that, the radeon would not be usable at all, wouldn't it? I'll have another look at this..

What I did as well was to change every mode-id of the radeon-display-modes to be different from voodoo display-modes. I did that in p96mode, because I thought, displaymodes having the same id leads to problems like I have (modes not showing). Unfortunately that did not help, so I'm kind of clueless what to try next.

But wait..
Another thing comes to my mind right now, I have different p96mode-settings files for each monitor driver (set by tooltype "P96SettingsFile" or something). I thought that is a good idea, and I was afraid to delete anything good, which worked nicely with the voodoo. Perhaps there needs to be one p96settings file only (used by both monitor drivers) ?!

That "DisplayChain" setting, I changed already. Thanks for mentioning and your help!.. o)

Offline zipper

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 08:24:01 PM »
Quote from: tbone;737426
Another thing comes to my mind right now, I have different p96mode-settings files for each monitor driver (set by tooltype "P96SettingsFile" or something). I thought that is a good idea, and I was afraid to delete anything good, which worked nicely with the voodoo. Perhaps there needs to be one p96settings file only (used by both monitor drivers) ?!

Yes, I did have settings for 3 monitors in the same settings file - but best to check that the settings do fit for both cards.

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 11:43:39 AM »
Ok, thanks guys, I made it work.. o)

P96Mode supports dedicated settings for each gfx board, i did not realize that. Settings for each gfx board can be edited seperately in the tool, and settings can be saved into one single file. So I have that single file now, used by two monitor drivers and all the modes of both cards show up in the screenmode prefs now. Very nice.. o)

The not so nice thing is, that whenever I try to open two screens (one on each board), the system "recoverable alerts" and chrashs sooner or later. So that's nothing I can use right now. It's not a big problem, just wanted to see if that's possible and how that feels with 2 monitors connected. I'll stick with using one gfx board, which is proven to work.. o)

Thanks again!
Rob.

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 12:48:37 PM »
I had success using both cards at the same time without any "Recoverable Alert" now, while playing around and creating some kind of multiboot workbench-setup for a  real-A1200/winuae/amithlon installation.

For  this to work I ended up with individual p96mode_settings-files again. If  done correctly and every monitor has it's own p96mode_settings, it is  possible to have all resolutions shown in screenmode prefs as well, but you need to make sure, the settings have been attached to the board indiviually. So  having all the settings in one single file is *not* necessary for this  to work at all. Additionally it is very troublesome, if you attach settings to your  boards and remove one of the boards later on. Then there is a mis-assignment  between gfx-board and p96mode prefs, because it "attaches" its settings  to boards by index number!

E.g.: If board #0 is a radeon and board #1  is a voodoo and you remove the radeon, the voodoo is board #0 now and  these settings (actually fitting the radeon) will be used for the voodoo3, which leads to problem as you can imagine. I  wonder why p96mode prefs is that "dumb" ?! Is there a way to make it actually look up what type/kind of board is available and use matching settings instead of simply applying settings by index and counting the number of boards in the system ?! You could not even swap pci-ports of the gfx boards, the p96mode settings won't match anymore.

Well, to make a long story short, for multiboot systems, it seems best to attach settings to boards only, when they are the only one in the system, so every board has it settings attached to board #0. You can only use the first board in the system then, that's a drawback but you gain kind of  plug-n-play feature.. o) Remove any board and the next one takes over automatically, because its settings have been attached to index #0 as well. You need to make sure to load only the one and only fitting monitor-driver for this to work of course (I use "showboards" to detect which gfx board is available and run that monitor-driver eventually).

Offline ChaosLord

• Show only replies by ChaosLord
    • http://totalchaoseng.dbv.pl/news.php
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2013, 02:14:57 PM »
How much gfx ram does ur Voodoo card give u? 8MB?
How much gfx ram does ur Radeon give u?

Need to know for gamecoding purposes.
Wanna try a wonderfull strategy game with lots of handdrawn anims,
Magic Spells and Monsters, Incredible playability and lastability,
English speech, etc. Total Chaos AGA

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2013, 02:35:00 PM »
It's 16mb on the voodoo, usable are 14mb for applications (2mb used by mediator-drivers/internal handling)

The Radeon has 128MB onboard, and is set to "give" 32mb gfx-mem for applications, while the rest is added as fast-ram to the system.

If there's something that needs more gfx-mem, I would not hesitate to make more of the radeon ram available of course.

Offline ChaosLord

• Show only replies by ChaosLord
    • http://totalchaoseng.dbv.pl/news.php
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2013, 02:45:58 PM »
Thanx :)
Wanna try a wonderfull strategy game with lots of handdrawn anims,
Magic Spells and Monsters, Incredible playability and lastability,
English speech, etc. Total Chaos AGA