Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New Sonic the Hedgehog Amiga Fangame Project  (Read 6862 times)

Description:

Offline Rebel-CD32Topic starter

• Show only replies by Rebel-CD32
New Sonic the Hedgehog Amiga Fangame Project
« on: June 24, 2008, 05:11:59 AM »
It's something a lot of people wanted forever, but never got. Sonic the Hedgehog, although promised by Sega to be released on Amiga, never happened. Whether it was because Sega thought it would threaten Mega Drive sales, or if they thought it couldn't be done on the A500, we'll probably never know. Over the years, we upgraded our Amigas and installed Master System emulators and played those fun, but sub-par Sonic games released for Sega's 8bit systems. We viewed fake demos, and saw complete ripoffs, but we never had a real Amiga version of Sonic.

We should change that! There are plenty of Sonic fangames available for Windows, some for X-Box 360, and even a Spectrum version! While the Amiga probably won't get an exact replica of the Mega Drive game, we can make our own original game in the same style as the Mega Drive games, using ripped and edited graphics and sounds.

As there's no platform game engine available to use, unless a coder wants to help out, we'll have to use Backbone or something similar. I've been playing around with Backbone, and through EXTENSIVE tweaking, have come up with what is as close as you can get to Sonic using Backbone (which is an old freeware platform game maker, made partially in Amos). I can't code, so this is as good as I can do for now. I've tried to get the speed, animation, inertia and controls to feel like the real thing, but of course Backbone wasn't designed for these types of games. For example, it only allows you to choose a single frame of animation for your jump and fall, so it doesn't let you animate Sonic spinning around when he jumps. It also can't make enemies die when you roll into them, or when you jump at them from beneath. There are no diagonal tiles, and no moving platforms, or platforms that fall away when you stand on them.

Despite these limitations, I think we can still come up with a pretty fun game. I want to make this project open for the whole Amiga community to contribute to. Anyone is welcome to download Backbone (and its updates) from Aminet, and create their own levels. I can provide the game files I have created so far for people to test their levels with, and once they have made either some levels, tilesets, sprites or music for the game, they can submit it to us, where we can quality-test it and integrade it into the game. It has the potential to be massive if everyone has a go at adding a level or two, and it's really easy to do since there's a whole bunch of sites full of Sonic graphic rips.

So, to show you what I'm proposing, I have made a quick one-level demo of Sonic in Backbone. I have made two versions, one is for expanded Amigas, and really needs a 030/50 or better to run at a playable speed. The other runs in a much smaller screen, but is quicker, and should hopefully be playable on any Amiga. I have tested it on the CD32 and it was alright.

So, here are the files. Download and (hopefully) enjoy:

Expanded Amigas - http://www.spin.net.au/~amiga/Sonic.lha
All Amigas - http://www.spin.net.au/~amiga/Sonic500.lha
CD32 - http://www.spin.net.au/~amiga/SonicCD32.zip

Extract the game to a directory in Workbench and double click the icon. The game can be played with the control pad or joystick or keyboard. For that authentic Sonic feel, plug in a Mega Drive pad. The CD32 version needs to be burnt with MakeCD on the Amiga or something like Alcohol 120% on Windows. It should boot on any CD32. The game works in both PAL and NTSC, whichever your system is running in. It won't run on RTG or AmigaOS4 or anything like that, this is a game made with an OLD Amiga program for OCS Amigas.

If anyone wants to get involved, shout out.
Amiga user forever.

Offline zyphoid

• Show only replies by zyphoid
Re: New Sonic the Hedgehog Amiga Fangame Project
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 05:29:19 AM »
Great news!! I'm glad to hear of this task..superb!!

Check the links I got errors when trying the urls
A1200T Mid-Night 060@50mhz tv tuner,voodoo banshee,usb subway,mediator,Dual Multi partition 200Gig 2.5/3.5HD, Twin dual-layer lite-on dvd 52x dvd-rw, sx-32pro030@50mhz my favorite system what xbox came from til someone says otherwise,A500 Efika...

Offline TheMagicM

• Show only replies by TheMagicM
    • http://www.BartonekDragRacing.com
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 05:58:07 AM »
any screenshots?
PowerMac G5 dual 2.0ghz/128meg Radeon/500gb HD/2GB RAM, MorphOS 3.9 registered, user #1900
Powerbook G4 5,6 1.67ghz/2gb RAM, Radeon 9700/250gb hd, MorphOS 3.9 registered #3143

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 06:05:52 AM »
I just checked the links and they worked okay, it seems the server is redirecting them to users.spin.net.au instead of www...

All I can suggest is to try again, if anyone else reports the same problem I'll see if I can find somewhere else to post the links.
Amiga user forever.

Offline zyphoid

• Show only replies by zyphoid
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 01:45:08 PM »
It's good now. I hope this project gets lots of respect!
 :-D
Edit Hold shift for problematic browsers
A1200T Mid-Night 060@50mhz tv tuner,voodoo banshee,usb subway,mediator,Dual Multi partition 200Gig 2.5/3.5HD, Twin dual-layer lite-on dvd 52x dvd-rw, sx-32pro030@50mhz my favorite system what xbox came from til someone says otherwise,A500 Efika...

Offline Chain

• Show only replies by Chain
    • http://chain.3dgrafika.cz/aktivity
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 01:53:03 PM »

TheMagicM wrote:
any screenshots?

8-)
too lazy to use shift key properly...

Offline A4000_Mad

• Show only replies by A4000_Mad
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 03:42:36 PM »
@ Rebel-CD32

8-)  8-)  8-)

I started a thread requesting Sonic for the Amiga a few months ago and was helped to find the emulator AmiGenerater for my A4000/PPC. However, I then didn't want my daughter switching on such a valuable machine all the time to play Sonic, and had to ban her from doing it. I've just dowloaded the file above and tried it on her A1200 Desktop with Blizzard 030/50 on a Philips CM8833 monitor. It's fantastic!!! Many thanks indeed  :-)  :-)  :-)
:cheers:
A4000 Mad

Offline tokyoracer

• Show only replies by tokyoracer
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 05:48:41 PM »
I'm a great fan of Sonic and will be supporting you all the way. Looking forward to see more shots of it. :bow:

Offline SKAN

• Show only replies by SKAN
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 06:20:11 PM »
Great news!

This thing can turn into a nice community project, but i guess a properly asm-coded engine would be better imho...

Anyway, you can achieve impressive results with AMOS too (just have a look at Dawnbringer's games)
[...emulation is for sissies...]

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2008, 07:10:40 PM »
...although promised by Sega to be released on Amiga...

Er, when did this happen?

Offline Flashlab

• Show only replies by Flashlab
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2008, 07:14:24 PM »
The things that make Sonic a great game are speed and the loops IMHO. Those things won't be able with Backbone or Amos. Without those I'm afraid this project won't be anything more than nice try but no sigar.

Maybe if we could get a programmer on this project this would be something that could be cool though. Maybe the programmer that works on Mr. Beanbag, Tricky, can be involved? She mentioned turning her engine into a game creator app not too long ago.
Amiga 4000D Cyberstorm PPC 060@50 604@200 SCSI 130Mb Ram G-Rex Voodoo3 PicassoIV Paloma Ariadne Delfina Lite

Online Flash version of BoulderDash: Offline...

Offline AmiBoy

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2008, 08:35:06 PM »
@ Rebel-CD32

Sorry to go off topic but are you the guys who where on here months ago asking if people wanted to help be games designers/creatos?

If so do you guys have any plans to do any isometric turn based dungeon crawlers like Legend/Worlds or Legend and others?
Escom A1200, Power Tower, OS3.9 & BB2, HD-Floppy drive, Mediator PCI, Voodoo 3 3000 16MB, Soundblaster 4.1, TV Tuner Card, 10/100MBit Ethernet card, Apollo 68060 66MHz with 64MB, 9.5Gig HD and 52xCDRom

Also one spare unworking bare A1200

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2008, 09:49:02 PM »
Glad you got it to work Zyphoid, and thanks for letting people know how to get it. I'm not sure why, but my ISP's webspace has been kinda unreliable lately.

Chain, cheers for the screenshot, you made my job easier :)

A4000_Mad, I hope your daughter enjoys the game, we'll certainly try our best to make some fun levels for it. How well did Sonic run on the PPC? That's something I'd love to see.

TokyoRacer, glad to see we have another Sonic fan here, and you certainly have enough systems to test the game out on!

SKAN, I'd love nothing more than to find someone who could code platform games in ASM to help us, or even an Amos or Blitz programmer, but unfortunately I've never learned to code, so using Backbone to put the game together is our only choice at the moment.

Matt_H, around 1991/1992 in several multiformat games magazines, they were saying that Sonic was coming out on the Amiga. This was very early on and could possibly have been nothing but rumours.

Flashlab, while Backbone doesn't let you do loops, we're still going to try and make the game as fun and fast as possible. It really is only meant to be a "nice try" anyway, because a nice try is still better than nothing, right?

While I would love to use the Mr. Beanbag engine to make a Sonic fangame (it can do almost all of what the Mega Drive Sonic game was capable of in terms of speed, parallax, colours, score display), it's not available at the moment, and I think Tricky is under enough pressure just trying to get Mr. Beanbag finished for now. I've been considering this since before I started the project, and decided that we could always just make another game once a new engine is available. It wouldn't matter if we reuse the same graphics, since they're just ripped from the Mega Drive anyway. Then we'd have two different Sonic fangames to enjoy.

AmiBoy, that was indeed us. We're still developing a few original games, hopefully to be released late this year. We're still looking for people who want to join our team, too. This Sonic project is just something I'm giving to the Amiga community to work on if they want, while I do more important work (pixelling graphics) for our commercial game projects.

As for those isometric games, I haven't played anything like them to be honest. If someone joins the team who can make such a game, we'll make it though. The more games, the better, and variety is important.
Amiga user forever.

Offline Speelgoedmannetje

• Show only replies by Speelgoedmannetje
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2008, 09:56:01 PM »
Technically beseen it really should work on a plain A500. Kid Chaos, a blatant Sonic clone, works also on it, with great speed.
And the canary said: \'chirp\'

Offline Christian Johansson

• Show only replies by Christian Johansson
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2008, 10:20:30 PM »
Looks pretty neat. Maybe you can find some coders on EAB.