Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Mac time!  (Read 5649 times)

Description:

Offline Matt_HTopic starter

Mac time!
« on: February 26, 2010, 02:01:06 AM »
So long, clunky old Compaq, and hello shiny new (well, Apple refurbished) Mac Mini! How ironic that well over 90% of the time I've spent setting it up has been getting Windows installed and then updated 97 times on VMWare - and that's before I've even migrated any of my data.

(And although I'll probably just install WinUAE under VMWare, what's the best incarnation of UAE for the Mac? Is it MaxUAE?)

I've never had my own Mac before. Looking forward to learning the quirks of OSX that only an owner can discover :)

Offline save2600

• Show only replies by save2600
Re: Mac time!
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 02:34:37 AM »
Congrats! Don't know what it's like installing WinDoze on an Intel based Mac  (and probably never will) - but kudos!  If you end up using OSX, you'll be rewarded with a very nice, neat, clean and stable computing experience that will leave you wondering why in the F!@# it took you so long to convert  :)

Offline Crom00

• Show only replies by Crom00
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 02:37:53 AM »
Quote from: save2600;545165
Congrats! Don't know what it's like installing WinDoze on an Intel based Mac  (and probably never will) - but kudos!  If you end up using OSX, you'll be rewarded with a very nice, neat, clean and stable computing experience that will leave you wondering why in the F!@# it took you so long to convert  :)

Yep..I use the E-Fix Bios adapter on a Gigabye quad core.
REally the best of both worlds. The efix allows installation of OSX and Windows on separate drives. A kick ass solution especially with a HDMI capture card AND the PC Video Toaster in the machine.

Offline pan1k

• Show only replies by pan1k
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 02:48:38 AM »
I'm a mac person. You'll enjoy it! If you need any help, just ask, but hey, if you can use an Amiga.. a Mac is sooo easy!
A4K: \\\'060, Cyberstorm MKIII Cybervision 64/3D w/ Scandoubler, Buddha Flash XSurf, MP3@64, A4K: \\\'040, Toaster, Y/C, A1200: Apollo \\\'040, A1200 GVP \'030, A1200: Stock, A2000: 68K, Trump SCSI, Supra 8Mb, and Toaster 4K, A2500: \\\'030, GVP SCSI, Supra 8MB x2, Video Toaster, CD32, Minimig, Efika and Hopefully an A4000T soon!

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 03:50:36 AM »
Quote from: save2600;545165
...computing experience that will leave you wondering why in the F!@# it took you so long to convert  :)

Money had a lot to do with it :)

@ Crom00

New BIOS adapter? How does that differ from / why not use BootCamp?
Toaster in a MacPro... sounds like a dual-booting productivity powerhouse!

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 05:01:18 AM »
Stick with WinUAE if you have an Intel Mac and are running some version of Windows through VMWare, or you can also just use Bootcamp to put Windows on a separate partition and dual boot directly into Windows to use WinUAE.  None of the other UAE versions for Linux or MacOSX are as good and clean as WinUAE.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 03:18:06 AM »
Quote from: amigadave;545181
Stick with WinUAE if you have an Intel Mac and are running some version of Windows through VMWare, or you can also just use Bootcamp to put Windows on a separate partition and dual boot directly into Windows to use WinUAE.  None of the other UAE versions for Linux or MacOSX are as good and clean as WinUAE.

WinUAE it is, then. Thanks!

Offline Crom00

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 04:17:57 AM »
Quote from: Matt_H;545174
Money had a lot to do with it :)

@ Crom00

New BIOS adapter? How does that differ from / why not use BootCamp?
Toaster in a MacPro... sounds like a dual-booting productivity powerhouse!

Flexibility. I use cheap pc hardware, motherobard with mulitple slots, I can swap pout my CPU, GFX card, etc. Esata drives Space for lots more drives..
no LEGACY PCI slots in a MacPro

On a MacPro it's not that easy to do what I can with my setup.

Bootcamp requires a MAC, and we all know the desktops are expensive.

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2010, 04:39:14 AM »
@ Crom00

Oh, I see, one of the OSx86 bootloaders. Should have picked that up earlier from "Gigabyte quad core" :)

I put OSX onto my Eee 901 a while ago, but the hardware's just not well enough supported... and the internal drive is pathetic. The whole purpose of a netbook is kinda defeated if you have to lug around an external drive, and I'm not sure I want to sink the money into it for a bigger SSD.

Offline Hell Labs

• Show only replies by Hell Labs
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2010, 11:24:15 PM »
what type of ssd though? If it's 1.8 ide, you could buy an old iPod with a smashed screen and crack it open. Dunno how much power those drives  pull though, might bring battery life down a bit.

Plus it's "apple labeled hardware" so your licence agreement is now valid.
A1200 Computer Combat. OS3.0. No accelerator, no fastram, mouse soon. And ebaying it.

Offline Crom00

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2010, 11:56:40 PM »
The Lenovo S10E series is well supported and comes with a good sized hard drive. I installed some old Mac Mini ram and I now have 2.5 GB ram and the stock 160GB hd.

This particular setup runs win7 and MacOS Leopard quite well considering its speed.
Beats taking a $2000 MacBookPro into harms way.

Offline Tension

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2010, 01:38:00 AM »
I am confused.

Why would you buy a Mac to make it run Windows?

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2010, 01:43:38 AM »
Quote from: Tension;545454
I am confused.

Why would you buy a Mac to make it run Windows?

To still be able to handle the multitudes of Windows-only programs.

And I don't have Office for Mac yet.

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2010, 01:51:20 AM »
Quote from: Hell Labs;545446
what type of ssd though? If it's 1.8 ide, you could buy an old iPod with a smashed screen and crack it open. Dunno how much power those drives  pull though, might bring battery life down a bit.

Plus it's "apple labeled hardware" so your licence agreement is now valid.

I already have such a drive... and it won't work in the Eee 901. The 901 has 2 SSDs - a fast 4GB one and a slow 8GB one. Only the 8GB one is user accessible, and the miniPCIe-to-ZIF adapter I replaced it with to connect the 1.8" drive won't work with the 4GB drive still connected. And the adapter makes it too fat to close the trapdoor. Very frustrating.

Offline Hell Labs

• Show only replies by Hell Labs
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2010, 02:49:54 AM »
Quote from: Matt_H;545456
I already have such a drive... and it won't work in the Eee 901. The 901 has 2 SSDs - a fast 4GB one and a slow 8GB one. Only the 8GB one is user accessible, and the miniPCIe-to-ZIF adapter I replaced it with to connect the 1.8" drive won't work with the 4GB drive still connected. And the adapter makes it too fat to close the trapdoor. Very frustrating.

I'm confusded here. The 4gb one is for the usual linux OS, right? but you have OSX on there, so...:confused:
A1200 Computer Combat. OS3.0. No accelerator, no fastram, mouse soon. And ebaying it.