Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Whatever happend to the Coldfire project?  (Read 5691 times)

Description:

Offline jdiffend

• Show only replies by jdiffend
Re: Whatever happend to the Coldfire project?
« Reply #74 from previous page: June 11, 2003, 03:41:35 AM »
There is a huge difference between a non-working prototype and a production board.  And he hasn't even demonstrated a 5407 can run the AmigaOS yet.

I won't say he can't do it.. but at this point he hasn't done it so we need to wait and see.

Offline heimert

• Show only replies by heimert
« Reply #75 on: June 11, 2003, 04:21:30 AM »
@oli_hd
Ok. Thanks for the info. Just don't go off to the bank and put a mortgage on your house.

Offline Opus

• Show only replies by Opus
« Reply #76 on: June 11, 2003, 05:30:44 AM »
I love the idea, I hope he can pull it off so my A3000T can rock and roll!  you can count on me buying one

Offline utri007

« Reply #77 on: June 11, 2003, 10:20:06 AM »
Wondering how fast it will be????

I have apollo 040 40mhz, my quake benchmark 70% screen 1x1 is 9.0xx and with 060 50mhz with same size screen it's 10.xx

My point is, will it actually make any games or ect faster, because limits of aga and amiga MOBOs

I'm interested to buy just hoping new "classic amiga mobo", it wouldn't be perfect, another point is, how long my a1200 will work??? buy a new accellator,, amiga goes broke,,,, trying to found new amiga mobo,,, does it work with coldfire accellator,,,

There is huge differences between amiga mobos
ACube Sam 440ep Flex 800mhz, 1gb ram and 240gb hd and OS4.1FE
A1200 Micronic tower, OS3.9, Apollo 060 66mhz, xPert Merlin, Delfina Lite and Micronic Scandy, 500Gb hd, 66mb ram, DVD-burner and WLAN.
A1200 desktop, OS3.9, Blizzard 060 66mhz, 66mb ram, Ide Fix Express with 160Gb HD and WLAN
A500 OS2.1, GVP+HD8 with 4mb ram, 1mb chip ram and 4gb HD
Commodore CDTV KS3.1, 1mb chip, 4mb fast ram and IDE HD

Offline xeron

• Show only replies by xeron
    • http://www.petergordon.org.uk
« Reply #78 on: June 11, 2003, 10:34:27 AM »

utri007 wrote:
My point is, will it actually make any games or ect faster, because limits of aga and amiga MOBOs

Copying to chipram will still be slow, but Quake doesn't have to do any more C2P work than say, breathless, or Doom on the same size screen, so, provided the rendering buffer is in Fast RAM on the Coldfire card, I can't see why you can't get the frame rate up with a Coldfire card, even on AGA.
Playstation Network ID: xeron6

Offline Atheist

• Show only replies by Atheist
« Reply #79 on: June 11, 2003, 02:49:19 PM »
Hi,

The FULL potential of the AGA Amigas has not been shown off yet. (I feel that way, anyway.)

I would like to know,

1) since it takes a couple of seconds for a HD to spin up, could a person load the OS into flashrom to boot up off of, is it big enough, could you put a second flashrom on there for this?

or

1a) Could I boot off of a Compact Flash card? The 25 speed ones?

2) Could you make the board support upto 3 gigs of ram? 6 of the cheaper 512 meg, ones?

I am VERY interested in one for my A2000. The price, for me, is affordable.

With this card and AOS (any version), it would be hilarious to see the faces of some windows users.

Especially if it was in an A1000!!!

AmigaOne! Old?!? Amigas are STILL amazing!!!
\\"Which would you buy? The Crappy A1200, 15 years out of date... or the Mobile Phone that I have?\\" -- bloodline
So I guess that A500, 600, 1000, 2000, CDTV, CD32, are pure garbage then? Thanks for posting here.

Offline jdiffend

• Show only replies by jdiffend
« Reply #80 on: June 12, 2003, 02:57:19 AM »
1) since it takes a couple of seconds for a HD to spin up, could a person load the OS into flashrom to boot up off of, is it big enough, could you put a second flashrom on there for this?

Not really practical... only put the drivers and Kickstart related stuff in the flashrom.  These devices have a limited life and you don't want to waste it tinkering with your startup sequence.  Once they burn out they would be difficult to replace.  And the more FLASH the more expensive the accellerator.

With USB, some built in drivers (in FLASH) and an external card reader you could do that.
You need the drivers for USB and common USB devices in ROM so they don't have to be loaded.
Since the device is easily replaced if it gets worn out that is a much smarter option than using the flash on the accellerator board.  Speed is only limited by USB transfer speeds.  If you have support for High Speed USB 2.0 it will be more than fast enough.

BTW, RAM size is limited by the OS but I can't remember what the limit is... something about the exec using some bits for a special purpose limits actual size below the limit of the CPU.  There is also a limit to how much RAM the controller on the Coldfire supports.

Offline keltic

• Show only replies by keltic
« Reply #81 on: June 13, 2003, 01:42:12 PM »
Atheist:

Yeah sure see why not(quick google search):
http://www.jactron.co.uk/ad-ide-cf.htm
http://www.emjembedded.com/products/flash/chipdisk.html
http://www.acqu.com/usa/ifd-xxx.htm

I did see some of theese for sale a while back here in Norway but i cannot remember the price, but i'm sure that if they were cheap i would have bought one pronto.

I had an idea of booting Linux from ideflash with NFS over 1gbit ethernet, having most on the files on a remote server except for boot files(/boot, /etc and so on) for making a silent pc but i never got that far  :-(

Offline Terminills

• Grand Conspirator
    • Show only replies by Terminills
« Reply #82 on: June 13, 2003, 01:52:20 PM »

Yeah sure see why not(quick google search):
http://www.jactron.co.uk/ad-ide-cf.htm
http://www.emjembedded.com/products/flash/chipdisk.html
http://www.acqu.com/usa/ifd-xxx.htm

I did see some of theese for sale a while back here in Norway but i cannot remember the price, but i'm sure that if they were cheap i would have bought one pronto.

I had an idea of booting Linux from ideflash with NFS over 1gbit ethernet, having most on the files on a remote server except for boot files(/boot, /etc and so on) for making a silent pc but i never got that far  [/quote]

I've seen the IDE CF adapters on ebay for about 25 USD  every now and then.
Support AROS sponsor a developer.

edited by mod: this has been addressed

Offline Quixote

• Show only replies by Quixote
« Reply #83 on: June 13, 2003, 03:02:53 PM »
;-) I'll definitely be buying one of these, when they are available.  Of course, I'll be buying Amiga OS 4.0 as soon as it's out for the CyberStorm, and the AmigaOne when OS 4's out for it, but in the meantime, I'm looking at my A2000 and A500 and asking myself what I'll do with them.  With a Coldfire processor in each of them, they'll be better able to contribute to my home network.