Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Xbox 360 Specification  (Read 3296 times)

Description:

Offline fx

• Show only replies by fx
    • UHC Tools
Re: Xbox 360 Specification
« Reply #29 from previous page: May 15, 2005, 02:48:08 AM »
People seem to be missing the important part here and that is which system has the best games?

And we all know the answer to that: Nintendo :)
Slightly bored and severly confused..

Offline Waccoon

• Show only replies by Waccoon
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2005, 05:38:34 AM »
Samanosuke:  ...I reckon Sony need to release the PS3 as soon as they can, even if it means rushing the development, or else they will be left for dead.

Hardly.  Sony is the ultimate hype machine.  I never thought PS2 would manage to dominate 80% of the industry with its awful complexity and poor visual quality... not to mention that it looked terrible.  A black box with 1980's-style cooling fins?  I couldn't believe that people said Dreamcast looked "off-the-shelf" while they drooled over Sony's rectangular box with a blue sticker.

Then again, Microsoft and Nintendo basically handed the market over to Sony the first time around.  Xbox 360 is smaller and definately not a PC clone this time.  Hopefully Nintendo will get their licensing strategy straight sometime soon.

Lou Dias:  And the 'Cube's bus is 165Mhz. It can run at just over 200 but...  [Link]

Most manufacturers have multiple versions of their products.  They rarely know what they are going to release until the last second.

Also, I've seen pictures on a website that opened up the cube and found that the GPU was actually the 202.5 MHz version

Depends when it was manufactured.  It's impossible to manufacture a chip to run at an exact frequency, so taking a faster chip and underclocking it isn't unusual.  The PS2 has also been redesigned internally a few times, and I don't mean the stupid "mini" PS2.

Nintendo always downplays it's systems' true power and are still doing this even with Revolution...

Well, it should be a given that Revolution will be faster than XBox and whatever seeing how it will be released much later.

I wouldn't say they downplay the power of the system.  They just don't make it the end-all of existence like Sony does.  

Lou Dias:  That's a big problem on this site. Everyone is ready to start a flame war over the slightest wording in a post... Sad...

I vote this Ironic Statement of the Year.

Offline stefcep

• Show only replies by stefcep
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2005, 09:15:16 AM »
I don't think that has translated into console sales for Nintendo, certainly not in Australia, where the shelf space for Gamecube is about one third of xbox or PS2.  Quality marketing is what will determine success of failure: the Amiga is a case in point, as is Dreamcast.  Incidently I just bought my first console for my son a PSone.  I can't believe how crap the 3d graphics on this machine are and it just goes to show how marketing won it for Sony.  As for gameplay I think there are only about 10 titles worth having and at $10Aus each I'm not complaining...

Offline coldfish

• Show only replies by coldfish
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2005, 10:58:20 AM »
...PSone. I can't believe how crap the 3d graphics on this machine are, and it just goes to show how marketing won it for Sony. As for gameplay I think there are only about 10 titles worth having...

Its easy enough to think that, -in hindsight-.  

Back in 1995, when my PS1 displaced my A1200 as my primary games machine, I have to say I was pretty impressed with the PS's GFX and gameplay in comparison!

Is there anything that even comes close to Castlevania-SOTN for sheer brilliance in a 2D game on Amiga?

Offline fx

• Show only replies by fx
    • UHC Tools
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2005, 12:24:49 PM »
Is there anything that even comes close to Castlevania-SOTN for sheer brilliance in a 2D game on Amiga?

Nope :D SOTN rules.

But I wonder what would have happened if the Amiga had been big in Japan? I don't think there's much going on in SOTN that couldn't have been pulled off on a A1200, atleast if it had some Fast Ram.
Slightly bored and severly confused..

Offline Doobrey

• Show only replies by Doobrey
    • http://www.doobreynet.co.uk
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2005, 09:06:31 PM »

Piru wrote:
woohoo :-)

Now replace Nintendo and PS2 with OS4 and Morphos (in no particular order)
On schedule, and suing

Offline Louis Dias

« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2005, 10:04:13 PM »

Waccoon wrote:
I vote this Ironic Statement of the Year.

Hey, I was fighting back. :P

By the way, I agree with everything else you said...There is hope for you yet.  :D

Offline coldfish

« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2005, 05:16:05 AM »
Quote by fx:
Nope :D SOTN rules.
But I wonder what would have happened if the Amiga had been big in Japan? I don't think there's much going on in SOTN that couldn't have been pulled off on a A1200, atleast if it had some Fast Ram.

Me too, one of my biggest disappointments when I bought the A1200 was how badly it's hardware resources were underutilized by software developers.  Most games were just slightly tweaked ECS titles.

You only have to look at the 32bit, '020 equipped arcade machines (like; Elevator Action returns, Dungeon Magic, Gunbird) to get a rough idea of what the 1200's potential was.

http://www.mameworld.net/maws/

A HD equipped vanila A1200 can probably do anything the NeoGeo can do, and just look at some of the awesome games on that platform, Metalslug1-5, Blazing Star, KOF-94-2002 ect...

Ah well, long live emulation!

-sorry for the off topic-

Offline neofree

• Show only replies by neofree
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2005, 05:46:50 AM »
It seems the PS3 is PowerPC based too.. AND MUCH BETTER!!! I shall wait for the good stuff!!! :)

Offline coldfish

« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2005, 09:18:50 AM »
PS3 -is- much better...

...if you believe the hype.  

However, Sony themselves have quoted performance of 1.8 terraflops (theoretical) and the 360 has a -theoretical- performance of "over a Teraflop" so my guess is the performance comparisons between the two will be much the same as this or any other console generation, and once again, it will come down to the individual's own brand preference.

I'll be getting a 360 mainly because I have an Xbox and want to continue with many of the exclusive titles I enjoyed, like Halo and Morrowind.  

Later, I'll probably get a PS3 for and/or Revolution, depends on price at the time and the quality of titles that catch my eye.

Pfft, Just like this (and every other) generation really...

Offline Phoenix

• Show only replies by Phoenix
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2005, 05:13:50 PM »

samanosuke wrote:

Phoenix wrote:
Looks like a SKY+ box to me!!, I like my XBOX for gaming but it's no sub for a good Multimedia machine.

What are you talking about? I have some 80 odd Divx films occupying my Xbox HDD along with hundreds of CDs. Not to mention almost every game for every console. The Xbox rocks at multimedia.

Back onto topic everyone I speak to is excited about 360 so I reckon Sony need to release the PS3 as soon as they can, even if it means rushing the development, or else they will be left for dead.
What about multimedia periphals?
Rising from the ashes
Base the hardware on the future and use the convictions of the past..

Offline cdfr

• Show only replies by cdfr
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2005, 05:33:18 PM »
I really don't get why people bought the XBOX and will buy the 360.
What is the point to run the same games that runs on a PC in a lower resolution, with less detail etc ? Are there some very good XBOX games that never had PC versions ?