Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: legal to make star trek game ?  (Read 3678 times)

Description:

Offline rednovaTopic starter

• Show only replies by rednova
    • https://sites.google.com/site/rednova3d/
legal to make star trek game ?
« on: January 24, 2016, 03:32:28 AM »
Hi all:

I remember a long time ago there was a free star trek game for amiga.
Is it legal for me to make a new star trek game if it is free/PD ?
-mobilis in mobile-

Offline kolla

Re: legal to make star trek game ?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 05:04:28 AM »
Depends on what jurisdiction you are in. In your case, the US, I guess you should ask the owners of the Star Trek franchise, which I believe is Paramount, they are the ones who decide how legal it is for you.
B5D6A1D019D5D45BCC56F4782AC220D8B3E2A6CC
---
A3000/060CSPPC+CVPPC/128MB + 256MB BigRAM/Deneb USB
A4000/CS060/Mediator4000Di/Voodoo5/128MB
A1200/Blz1260/IndyAGA/192MB
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV
MiSTer, MiST, FleaFPGAs and original Minimig
Peg1, SAM440 and Mac minis with MorphOS

Offline amigakid

• Show only replies by amigakid
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 05:25:22 AM »
It is illegal unless you get the approval since Star Trek is registered and trade marked to the owner/franchise.  I would write to Paramount and ask for permission, and state that it is not for retail, self monetary gain and for Public Domain.  Also wouldn't hurt to note that it is for a computer no longer in production and as a personal project because of your love of the Star Trek Franchise (doesn't hurt to butter them up some ;)).

Offline 7valleys

• Show only replies by 7valleys
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2016, 11:31:59 AM »
Illegal is not the proper word, it's a violation of copyright, they can sue you in court for any financial damages they feel are justified and the US is noted for judges making big monetary judgements against copyright infringers....

Online AndyFC

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016, 02:32:20 PM »
Not an answer to whether it's illegal/whatever, but there were plenty of Star Trek PD games (as well as ones related to other brands).

Is it something which will harm the franchise or their market (I doubt paramount is planning to release an Amiga Star Trek game soon).

Perhaps contact some of the authors of current 'unofficial' Star Trek s/w which has made it to release and see if they contacted Paramount. https://play.google.com/store/search?q=star%20trek&c=apps
A1200 in DIY Tower. 3.2 ROMs (softkicking 3.2.2), OS 3.2.2 with ClassicWB, CF card, CD RW and IDE to SD adapter running off the internal IDE port (using the A4000 4-port IDE adapter from Amigakit), Pistorm 32 lite with Pi4/2GB/Emu68 or Blizzard 1230-IV, with 32MB 60ns RAM and 50MHz 68882 FPU. 3COM PCMCIA Network card running with Miami DX.
MorphOS on PowerMac G5 and ATI 9600 pro

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2016, 02:51:58 PM »
If its free I's assume it would fall into the same category as other fans created media (like fan fiction or video).
Basically, its tolerated.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline psxphill

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2016, 04:01:32 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;802895
If its free I's assume it would fall into the same category as other fans created media (like fan fiction or video).
Basically, its tolerated.

Yeah, they have tolerated free stuff for years.

But as soon as there is money involved then BAM http://deadline.com/2015/12/star-trek-fan-films-lawsuit-paramount-axanar-1201674185/

I'd say that you probably wouldn't even come up on their radar, but the smurf game did. Sure there were PD games in the past, but that was in a time when it was hard to know what infringement was going on and it would have been pretty hard to find someone responsible for producing it. Now they just need to send a C&D email to your host.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 04:06:46 PM by psxphill »

Offline Templario

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2016, 06:10:20 PM »
It is illegal for the copyrights, you remember the case of The Smurf game, other option make a game inside the Star Trek Universe no using the names and characters from the movies, making an own universe.
Amiga 500 with ROMs 1.3-2.05 and M-Tec AT 500 with hard disk and 4MB Ram.
WinUAE + Original OS 3.5&3.9
Sam440ep 800 MHZ + OS 4.1 F.E.
Sam460ex 1 GHz + OS 4.1 + Update 6. K.O.
MacMini 1.5 GHz + MorphOS 3.9
PowerBook G4 1.65 + MorphOS 3.9

Offline psxphill

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2016, 07:56:35 PM »
Quote from: Templario;802910
other option make a game inside the Star Trek Universe no using the names and characters from the movies, making an own universe.

Star Trek takes place in our universe. A game without the Star Trek name, none of the characters, ships, concepts etc isn't really going to be a Star Trek game.

TBH you'd be better off producing a game based on your own ideas anyway.

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2016, 08:41:10 PM »
I don't know, the crude Star trek games we had on early, build it yourself PCs were some of the most popular games available (alongside the Lunar Lander games).
But I would have to assume that the game being considered is much more complex.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline scuzzb494

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2016, 12:29:04 AM »
Quote from: rednova;802859
Hi all:

The game wasn't free. I certainly bought mine from a shop. PD Houses generally charged for their disks. Came on two disks... STGame and STData. By von Tobias J Richter who also created a shed load of very cool Star Trek animations which are also available on PD Disks. Interestingly disk one states that the game was created by AGAtron.. Amiga Graphics and Animations though also refers to another name Unique Computing Angus Bell. The second disk STData has German text referring to yet another name and a PDHouse and disk reference.

The disk also carries a Richter animation and pictures of NCC-1701-A Enterprise which has a maximum speed of WARP 12.

The documentation was produced on 11th August 1989. The game appears to have German origin.

I doubt very much that the game could have been produced without referring to the franchise and company owner that held the copyright. Star Trek will hold a worldwide right over the use of its name and I am sure that in these days of internet factoring there are paid representatives tracking all activity of brand names. The risk is not only whether a product can benefit from the brand but whether also it can damage. So I am guessing even folk that display images of product on their websites are at risk of being served.

By the way... STAR TREK The Game on just two disks is very good and most enjoyable. I have also Star Trek the 25th Anniversary game and I still prefer the PD game. Truly amazing given the two disks it comes on. I have the plastic sleeved version of the PDGame which I purchased from my local Amiga store back in 1994.

The simple solution is to write to the company that holds the copyright.

Offline paul1981

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2016, 12:49:36 AM »
Quote from: rednova;802859
Hi all:

Make the game, credit it to GreenNova productions and then anonymously upload it somewhere.

Offline rednovaTopic starter

• Show only replies by rednova
    • https://sites.google.com/site/rednova3d/
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2016, 01:22:34 AM »
Thank you all for the replies.
I think now that I'm probably better off making new original games
different from one who has copyrights.
-mobilis in mobile-

Offline slaapliedje

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by slaapliedje
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2016, 01:43:29 AM »
For what it's worth, I had read somewhat recently somewhere that it depends on what Franchise and their history of dealing with such things.  From what I'd read Star Trek owners were generally okay with people making things for it.  Star Wars, not so much.  I think something like Marvel (especially now that Disney owns them) would also probably raise a stink on any of their properties.

Maybe make something in the Firefly Universe?  We could always use a game like that.
A4000D: Mediator 4000Di; Voodoo 3, ZorRAM 128MB, 10/100mb Ethernet, Spider 2. Cyberstorm PPC 060/50 604e/420.

Offline save2600

• Show only replies by save2600
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2016, 01:47:23 AM »
Just call it Star Trak.   ;)

Captain Jerk, Lieutenant Manure, Shotty, Mr. Schlock, Commander Pavel Jackoff, Ensign Ho, Mr. Soho.. you get the idea.   :laughing:

Remember Star Drek from the Dr. Demento show? I do!  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioH0POPyeEQ
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 01:56:21 AM by save2600 »