Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AmigaForever Premium Edition 2016 - How can I install OS 4.1 FE classic?  (Read 2257 times)

Description:

Offline DandyTopic starter

• Show only replies by Dandy
    • http://www.wiehltalbahn.de/en/
I made the settings in the AmigaForever Premium Edition 2016 - system "Amiga 4000 PPC - OS 4.1 FE U1" (a copy of "Amiga 4000 PPC") according to the manual.

I inserted the "BootFloppy" as .adf in DF0: and the "OS 4.1 FE classic"-CD in the PC-drive D: (DVD-RW).

When I start the "Player", green lamps at the symbols for Floppy Disk and CD start flashing (apparently booting). If I locate the mousepointer above the Floppy Disk symbol, a bubble pops up telling

Floppy disk drive (DF0):
"BootFloppy" (BootFloppy.adf)

and if I put the pointer above the CD symbol the bubble says

CD drive:
D:

But after a few seconds the player shows an AmigaDOS-screen with this error message:

"AMIGA ROM Operating System and Libraries
Copyright © 1985-1993 Commodore-Amiga, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
Can't find System
BootFloppy:C/Assign failed returncode 20
1>

Looks like the OS4-BootFloppy could not be assigned as "Systen"?

A look at the startup-sequence in the "S"-directory in the "BootFloppy"-folder of the OS4-CD (assuming that this one is identical to the one in the "BootFloppy.adf"-file) showed:

CD "AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition:"
;
BootFloppy:C/Assign SYS: System
BootFloppy:C/Assign S: SYS:S
BootFloppy:C/Assign Devs: SYS:devs
BootFloppy:C/Assign C: SYS:C
BootFloppy:C/Assign FONTS: SYS:Fonts
BootFloppy:C/Assign KEYMAPS: SYS:devs/Keymaps
BootFloppy:C/Assign L: SYS:L
BootFloppy:C/Assign LIBS: SYS:Libs
BootFloppy:C/Assign CLASSES: SYS:Classes
BootFloppy:C/Assign LOCALE: SYS:Locale
BootFloppy:C/Assign REXX: SYS:S/AREXX
BootFloppy:C/Assign SOBJS: SYS:SObjs

Apparently the startup-sequence was executed without error until CD "AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition:", while the first assign BootFloppy:C/Assign SYS: System caused the error message.
This leads me to the assumption that AmigaForever does not know the name of the CD inserted in PC-drive D: and so the assign fails. Placing the mouse pointer over the CD symbol at the bottom of the player window also supports this assumption, as it just tells "CD drive:   D: and not CD drive:    AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition.

But why doesn't AF know the CD's name?

If I look at PC-drive D: in WinExplorer it clearly says:
DVD-RW-Drive ( d: ) AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition

And AF is set up to automount PC resources upon start - and "CD0" also has a checkmark.

But why does the "BootFloppy" not work?
:confused::hammer:
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 11:47:48 AM by Dandy »
All the best,

Dandy

Website maintained by me

If someone enjoys marching to military music, then I already despise him. He got his brain accidently - the bone marrow in his back would have been sufficient for him! (Albert Einstein)

Offline JimmiG

• Show only replies by JimmiG
Re: AmigaForever Premium Edition 2016 - How can I install OS 4.1 FE classic?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 01:01:23 PM »
Looks like maybe it isn't detecting the CD. AmigaForever 2016 comes with an older version of WinUAE which doesn't support uaegfx.device and other integration features.

I recommend FlowerPot which makes it very easy to install AmigaOS4. You can also try to do it manually by downloading the latest WinUAE and following various guides, but FP makes it so easy.

Offline DandyTopic starter

• Show only replies by Dandy
    • http://www.wiehltalbahn.de/en/
Quote from: JimmiG;822823

Looks like maybe it isn't detecting the CD.

What do you mean with  "it"?
The PC side definitely detected the CD.
If I look at PC-drive D: in WinExplorer it clearly says:
DVD-RW-Drive ( d: ) AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition

AmigaForever 2016 comes with an older version of WinUAE which doesn't support uaegfx.device and other integration features.

:confused:
How old is that version?
Even my "old" AmigaForever 2006 already supported the uaegfx.device - why should it now be unsupported 10 years later in AmigaForever 2016?
:angry:

I recommend 'FlowerPot' which makes it very easy to install AmigaOS4. You can also try to do it manually by downloading the latest WinUAE and following various guides, but FP makes it so easy.

So you say 'FlowerPot' not only makes the installation of AmigaOS4 very easy, but also updates the UAE executable in AF2016 to the latest version?
All the best,

Dandy

Website maintained by me

If someone enjoys marching to military music, then I already despise him. He got his brain accidently - the bone marrow in his back would have been sufficient for him! (Albert Einstein)