Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Duke3d speed  (Read 3717 times)

Description:

Offline CU_AMiGA

• Show only replies by CU_AMiGA
Re: Duke3d speed
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2003, 11:03:58 AM »
I think that Duke Nukem was great and worked very well indeed in my setup. I got around 20fps on the 68k version and around 30fps on the Warp version! :-) Very nice indeed!
A1200D / AGA / B1260 / 64MB RAM / KS 3.1 / AOS 3.9 / 4GB HD

Offline Cymric

• Show only replies by Cymric
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2003, 12:30:42 PM »
that_punk_guy wrote:
As a side-note Doomy, if you compile a program for another platform, it is now native to that platform... That's what porting is for. There's nothing special about the PC hardware other than brute force and popularity.

Unfortunately, brute force is exactly what you need to run 3D games. Not because the code is 'bad' or 'bloated' or even 'just C instead of ASM', but simply because you need to do a helluvalot of math in a very short time. Somehow, there's something tragically naive about all that patching a machine which does not have the power to run this sort of program (and never will either) when for a small amount of money you can pick up a used computer which does...

On the other hand, alien scum is alien scum, no matter at what frame rate. Go get 'em!
Some people say that cats are sneaky, evil and cruel. True, and they have many other fine qualities as well.

Offline realstar

• Show only replies by realstar
    • http://members.shaw.ca/realstar
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2003, 12:31:55 PM »
Just tried it on my Pegasos and I get around
58fps in 640x480 and 43fps in 800x600. Very
playable and quicker than DoomMaster's PC. ;)

Offline LP

• Show only replies by LP
    • http://bailout.dk
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2003, 01:27:59 PM »
I'm having the same setup as Gav...

It's the exact same fps I have and it's really too slow in my opinion... 6fps? <-- Bad...

But CU_Amiga mentioned something about a warp version?

Is this for 68k aswell?
I haven't been able ro find any other ports than dantes for the 68k without warp3D...

So if any have a 68k Warp3D version please share the links...

:-)

-edit-

@CU_AMIGA
20 fps on a 060??? Have you overclocked the CPU or what... Seems very fast for a 060...

Offline CU_AMiGA

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2003, 04:49:39 PM »
Hello!

Yes, i get on average around 15-20fps, NEVER goes below 11fps! :-) I even caught it going around 40fps!!! But that was at much less busy/detailed bits. Still good! :-) I think the Blizzardvision makes a massive difference. I also have 8-Bit Fast Mono as the sound output. I also use a screenmode of 320x240.  DON'T use directcgx as that will cause some problems, speaking of which, i also use CGFX v4.2! :-)

As for the Warp OS version, this requires a PPC! And that is much faster and smoother than the 68k version, but lacks any sort of sound, so i will be using the 68k version a little while longer! :-)

The versions i use are:

amigaduke_v0.3.lha - For 68k Amiga's, as previously posted.
duke3dwos beta 1 - For PPC Amiga's.

Links are:

Duke Nukem 3D 68k
Duke Nukem 3D Warp OS

I hope that this helps.

Regards,

-edit-

Oh yeah, the 060 or PPC is not overclocked whatsoever! He-He! :-)

Offline GavTopic starter

• Show only replies by Gav
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2003, 06:09:45 PM »
Ahh this aint fair :( lol its pi*sing me off really as i just bought it for that reason...20fps sounds nice to me lol compared to my great 6ps,wow sh*t fast or what....
A1200,BPPC603e+@240mhz-060@50mhz/Scsi2 192mb,Powerflyer,Mediator SX,Voodoo 3000,SB128,Tv card,SD/FF,Ethernet,CDRW.

Offline LP

• Show only replies by LP
    • http://bailout.dk
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2003, 06:16:39 PM »
Thanks...

I've got the 68k version already so I'll try to set the sound to fast 8-bit mono as you...

We'll see what happens then...

Thanks again

-LP

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2003, 06:25:35 PM »
@LP

One thing you might look at also. I found that AHI v5 really hogs the CPU! No matter what settings I used it strangled my 68040 to death. Make sure you use AHI v4.18 on 680x0, the difference in performance is astonishing.
int p; // A

Offline CU_AMiGA

« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2003, 04:57:31 PM »

Karlos wrote:
@LP

One thing you might look at also. I found that AHI v5 really hogs the CPU! No matter what settings I used it strangled my 68040 to death. Make sure you use AHI v4.18 on 680x0, the difference in performance is astonishing.

Yes! Use AHI v4.18, that is currently the best and fastest version available. Never, ever, ever, ever get AHI v5! That was desiogned for Morph OS, not Amigas! :-)

-edit-

Don't forget to download the latest paulaadio.device, i can't stress to you how important this is! VERY VERY IMPORTANT!

http://www.amiworld.it/hardware/drivers_update/ahi/PA4_27.lzx

Offline CU_AMiGA

« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2003, 05:05:26 PM »
Oh yeah, just one more thing!

-+=BEWARE!=+-

Duke Nukem 3D may wipe the partition/all of your Hard Drive, like me! :-( BEWARE!

Offline Methuselas

• Show only replies by Methuselas
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2003, 08:02:45 PM »
Duke Nukem 3D may wipe the partition/all of your Hard Drive, like me!  BEWARE!

CU,

I doubt that Duke repartitioned or wiped your drive, so much as it found a sector it didn't like on your drive. Everyone here knows that FFS wasn't that stable and I never found any bad sectors on my old drives, but can remember getting checksums that I could never fix.

You neet to calm down and BREATHE! You'll get it fixed. Stressing about it is only going to give you a heart attack and we all know that Amigas are notorious for giving high blood pressure.  :-o
\'Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation.\' - Bruce Lee

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.\' - Dark Helmet :roflmao:

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

Offline GavTopic starter

« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2003, 09:31:12 PM »
Ahh thats it i give up lol i had more fun on the ps1 version in 98..No nothing more i can do and i cant play it at 6fps now can i lol...Oh well....
A1200,BPPC603e+@240mhz-060@50mhz/Scsi2 192mb,Powerflyer,Mediator SX,Voodoo 3000,SB128,Tv card,SD/FF,Ethernet,CDRW.

Offline Zadoc

• Show only replies by Zadoc
    • http://www.zadocnightmare.com
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2003, 09:47:26 PM »
@ Gav
Ahh thats it i give up lol i had more fun on the ps1 version in 98..No nothing more i can do and i cant play it at 6fps now can i lol...Oh well....

Did you happen to read my reply concerning Duke speed on an 060 with Cyberpatcher?  I have a similar setup (A1200T/060/Mediator/voodoo3). and managed to get Duke running very comfortable, but I had to ditch Cyberpatcher as I stated before (and down below, incase you missed my post)

Ok as i have duke3d atomic edition and well how can i speed it up?
I dont think its going the speed it should on my voodoo 060 1200....Any help would be great,i have cyber patcher installed but dont know much about it

Unfortunately, I couldn't get a good speed by using CyberPatcher.

Although, it is alot to got through just to get a better framerate, switching to MuLib's MuRedox (after installing MuLib libraries) made the game far more playable.
Welcome to my Nightmare
Zadoc...and the Nightmare

Offline GavTopic starter

« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2003, 09:59:34 PM »
@Zadoc
I dont understand? im still a learner with all this ya see but if you could help me it would be great...Whats all this mulibs? MUI?

Offline Zadoc

• Show only replies by Zadoc
    • http://www.zadocnightmare.com
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2003, 04:12:39 AM »
@ Gav

MuLib is a library to help better control the MMU written by Thomas Richter.

Acording to the readme: "The goal is to provide a basis of functions to address and program the MMU in
a hardware independent, Os friendly fashion. Hence, the new version of the
Enforcer, called MuForce, will work together with virtual memory, and others.

The mmu.library is also the basis for a virtual memory project, the
memory.library. Even though the mmu.library does not provide virtual memory
itself, it builds the basics to allow an easy implementation and to avoid the
hacks required by other implementations so far."

There are a few replacements for some programs that hack the MMU (Enforcer, CyberGuard,GuardianAngle,SetCPU,Shapeshifter,
VMM,GigaMem...) and also a Cyperpatcher replacement/alternative called MuRedox.

All theses files can be found on Aminet and are compatible with the latest Mediator drivers (allowing you to run the Voodoo driver in MMU mode if you have an A1200 Mediator setup).

Give it a try and when you replace Cyberpatcher with MuRedox, you'll find playing Duke3d a far more enjoyable experience.
Welcome to my Nightmare
Zadoc...and the Nightmare

Offline GavTopic starter

« Reply #29 from previous page: November 08, 2003, 06:03:21 AM »
Ok it works perfect now :) thx.....But i now have bigger problems,i downloaded a newer mui.lib with other stuff with it from aminet...It installed various files such as muguardianangel,muforce,mufastrom,mufastzero and thats it i think..But now when i click on genesis it says could not  launch amitcp kernel....
Possible causes:
1) amitcp:kernel/amitcp does not exist.
2) another tcp stack is already running....
Someone please tell me how to fix this as im really lost without my amiga on the net as im now on sega dreamcast as i have no pc...I installed genesis again to see if that would work but it just does the same,it was fine before i installed that mmu stuff....
Any help would be great thanks......