Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: booting from HD on Amiga 2000  (Read 1002 times)

Description:

booting from HD on Amiga 2000
« on: March 02, 2003, 02:00:55 AM »

I bought a Amiga 2000hd on Ebay with no manuals or disks.  I do have Workbench 1.3.

What do I need to boot from the HD?  I have some basic computer skills, but no Amiga skills.

Thanks for your time

theartofzen@hotmail.com

Offline Lo

• Show only replies by Lo
Re: booting from HD on Amiga 2000
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2003, 02:05:16 AM »
Do you have an amiga monitor?  If-so, hold down both mouse buttons when you start the computer to see a bootscreen of devices.
[color=0000CC]GVP 060 @50 Pwr Twr [/color][color=FF0000]AMD_Amithlon_UAE[/color]

Offline Lo

• Show only replies by Lo
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2003, 02:06:53 AM »
Oops maybe that wasn't available in 1.3, sorry.
[color=0000CC]GVP 060 @50 Pwr Twr [/color][color=FF0000]AMD_Amithlon_UAE[/color]

Offline KidIce

• Show only replies by KidIce
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2003, 02:29:38 AM »
Oops maybe that wasn't available in 1.3, sorry.

No, 1.3 doesn't have an early startup menu.
Tried it once, and you know, I don\\\'t like being on fire.

Offline KidIce

• Show only replies by KidIce
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2003, 03:22:25 AM »
A description of what happens when you turn on your machine w/o a floppy in it would be usefull here. Does it hang at the hand holding a WB disk screen waiting for you to stick a bootable floppy in it, or does it at least give a CLI (DOS prompt in PC land)?

I find it a little odd that it isn't already booting from the HD on its own, as I can't imagine why a user wouldn't already have it set up to do so.. Take a look inside the case and make sure there is a SCSI card slotted and there is a drive connected to it. If it's all OEM parts (ie the SCSI card hasn't been removed or replaced) then it should contain a Commodore 2091 SCSI controller (or at least that's what my 2000 came w/), the drive would likely be a 50 MB Quantum Prodrive.

If there is more than one drive connected, you may have a termination problem. There are plenty of resources on the web about SCSI termination, or drop a message here and I can likely help if you don't know about SCSI.

Anywayz, if there is indeed a 2091 controller in there and a functioning drive conected to it, the next thing to check is that the "autoboot" jumper is set properly. It's by the DIP slots (w/ any luck they are populated and you've got an extra couple MB's of RAM :-)) towards the front of the board, has three pins and is labled "AUTO/DIS". Make sure the shorting brick is connecting the bottom two pins (the "AUTO" side).

All this said and done the only real thing left is that you need to set up the hard drive. You should have a disk w/ HDToolBox on it, boot w/ that disk. W/ some decent computer experience HDToolBox should be pretty straight forward to use (especially the 1.3 version). Partition the drive however you like, making sure that any partitions you create are marked as auto-mounting and that the one you intend to install WB to is marked as bootable (having more than one marked as bootable under 1.3 is not advised).

When partitioning keep in mind that while you can label the partions anything you like the usual Amiga syntax is DH0, DH1, DH2, etc. and you'll likely save yourself future headaches if you label them that way, as this is what Amiga programs are going to expect.

Once you have your partitions created you may have to reset your machine to "mount" them (been awhile since I've used 1.3 HDToolBox). Either way, as long as you've saved your settings to the drive from HDToolBox a reset isn't going to hurt.

Boot off the HDToolBox or WB floppy again and format the partitions you've created, there should be an icon for the format command in the System drawer. Go ahead and name the partitons whatever you like, but useful titles like Workbench, Games, Utilities, etc will help install scripts that try to guess where things should go get the right answer. :-)

Last, install WB to the bootable partion. IIRC, there should be a disk to do this, if not or you didn't get one you can just copy all the files from the WB disk you do have w/ the copy command in a CLI:

copy DF0: DH0: all

If you plan on adding a drive then make sure it is under 4 GB's as the old FastFileSystem can't handle anything larger than that.
Tried it once, and you know, I don\\\'t like being on fire.