Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Is there any real use for 128MB on classic Amiga?  (Read 9807 times)

Description:

Offline Methuselas

• Show only replies by Methuselas
Re: Is there any real use for 128MB on classic Amiga?
« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2012, 06:52:53 AM »
Being a graphic artist, myself, I have to admit having more ram does  help. Granted, now I do as little graphic work on my Amiga or Emulated  Amiga, as possible (I am spoiled), but more ram does help. For example, a  640x400 png file I did in photoshop for Backbone blocks crashed on an  Emulated 1200 with 4MB of expansion ram, when trying to convert it to an  IFF in Personal Paint 7.1 I remember how agonizing it was to work in  Lightwave 5, on my A500 with 4.5 megs of ram.
\'Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation.\' - Bruce Lee

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.\' - Dark Helmet :roflmao:

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2012, 08:09:15 AM »
Quote from: ChaosLord;716487
Most WHDLoad games have monster anims of 3 frames.  Yes I looked at them and counted them. :)  You are really lucky to get 4-8 frames.  A typical monster anim in Total Chaos AGA might have 8-24 frames but some have 40, 64, 120 or whatever.  Its an Amiga.  It does gfx.  Why limit it?  I love my Amiga :knuddel: and I let her do what she is good at because she is so lovely and has never let me down. :angel:
Number of anim frames multiplies the MB requirements again.

I pulled up some YouTube videos of this game just based on this comment.  Shame the quality gets so chopped down on anything uploaded to that site, but still looks pretty good, and kudos for your hard work!  :)
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline ChaosLord

• Show only replies by ChaosLord
    • http://totalchaoseng.dbv.pl/news.php
« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2012, 08:48:34 AM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;716531
I pulled up some YouTube videos of this game just based on this comment.  Shame the quality gets so chopped down on anything uploaded to that site, but still looks pretty good, and kudos for your hard work!  :)

Thanxx0rz dude! :D  I was starting to get bummed about the whole thing.  Your Raise Dead spell has revived me :)

Ok the thing about those videos is that the guy who made them did them on a 780Mhz Laptop so, some of the choppiness might be YouTube's fault but a lot of it is the guy's computer just plain chops the hell out of the anims.  Speeds up, slows down, lots of frames of animation go missing here and there, sound is not always in sync...  I hate it :(

I offered to make him a special version of the game with anims that play in super slow motion so that none of the frames would go missing (no more jarring steps) but he was not interested so I kinda forgot about it.

Now that I just bought myself a brand new 3.1Ghz bgcpc I might possibly make some videos of my own, where the gfx are all there and in sync with the sound so it will at least look and sound like it does in real life (hopefully)...  I have no idea how to record such a video but at least now I have the equipment.

To the best of my knowledge (which is not very far or anything) Total Chaos was the very first playable game on YouTube.  You can actually play it on YouTube.  Yeah its amazingly simplistic compared to the real game and honestly might make you hate the game for how simple the YouTube version is,  but it "works". :)

AGA: 1992 Lives Forever
Wanna try a wonderfull strategy game with lots of handdrawn anims,
Magic Spells and Monsters, Incredible playability and lastability,
English speech, etc. Total Chaos AGA

Offline Lord Aga

• Show only replies by Lord Aga
« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2012, 12:37:56 PM »
Quote from: ChaosLord;716487

Its really easy to fill it up.  AmigaOS has RAM:  (ramdisk.device)

A lot of ppl like to play their games from RAM: the first time they try them to decide if they are any good.  Other ppl do it the other way around and only put a game in their RAM: if they do like it, to make it load faster.  These are things random ppl tell me.

I used to do this all the time with Dune II :)
'Twas lightning fast running from the RAM, and had no wait states.
Amiga WAS memory starved from the beginning. If only A1200 was launched with 2+2MB of RAM we would have had more then 2x faster machine, and with room for little extra gaming material.
Glory to the loud-mouthed Scotsman !

Offline Linde

• Show only replies by Linde
    • http://hata.zor.org/
« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2012, 01:44:00 PM »
An interesting thing to note about Doom 3 (since it was suddenly brought into discussion although the Doom in question was quite obviously the original one) is that it doesn't require more than 256 MB RAM.

I can see how more RAM could be an asset, but I'll go ahead and say that there are a lot of games that look better than TC: AGA that run on a stock A500 and some even on C64 (not that it looks bad in any way; I'd love to give it a try if it ran on my wedge). Mostly superior in style and visual coherence, but that only goes to show that hi-res graphics maximalism isn't necessarily the "right" approach to better looking games.

Offline ChaosLord

« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2012, 01:54:53 PM »
@Lord AGA

I agree!

And I used to load Wings into my 8MB ram disk.  Made things way faster.  I used to do that with several cinemaware games.  Cinemaware games were great but they sure did load a lot.

I also used to play Might & Magic II while multitasking a screengrabber.  I would grab the screen and save it to RAM (I did not even have a hard drive yet).  I would have Deluxe Paint running with my Might & Magic.  I would load up the screen grab adjust the colors and then print it out to my printer while moving on to the next area to be mapped.

Having a printed map that did not disappear between adventures, saved me a lot of time.

Everyone else was stuck with a tiny little $3000.00 640K pc but I was using 3000-4000K of my 9000K total just to play M&M2 with professional mapping ability. :laugh1:

Offline ChaosLord

« Reply #50 on: November 27, 2012, 02:22:34 PM »
Quote from: Linde;716557
An interesting thing to note about Doom 3 (since it was suddenly brought into discussion although the Doom in question was quite obviously the original one)
I don't think anyone cares about the filesize of the Original Doom in 1993.  It is 2012.  By my reckoning that makes it 19 years ago.

If you want to compare archive sizes of 1993 games then in 1993 TC was either at the 5MB level or 16MB level.  I don't remember which.  Toooo long ago.   If I had to pick I would say 5MB.

For those who are obsessed with archive sizes:
Why can't we compare the archive size that today's Doom sequel is?

is that it doesn't require more than 256 MB RAM.
You mean for the PS3 version?

So translated into English: Doom 3 requires 100% of all the ram available to the hardware, correct?

Doom 3 on PS3 ties up all the hardware resources and a player may not type a letter to grandma while the game is paused.  Is that correct?

Offline ChaosLord

« Reply #51 on: November 27, 2012, 02:25:57 PM »
If PS3 games can use 256MB then Amiga games should be allowed to use 256MB, right?

Offline Thorham

• Show only replies by Thorham
« Reply #52 on: November 27, 2012, 02:32:56 PM »
Quote from: ChaosLord;716563
If PS3 games can use 256MB then Amiga games should be allowed to use 256MB, right?
Of course, but could you give an example of a hypothetical Amiga game that would need 256 megabytes?

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #53 on: November 27, 2012, 02:34:51 PM »
Quote from: Thorham;716564
Of course, but could you give an example of a hypothetical Amiga game that would need 256 megabytes?

Well, I can just about run Quake 3 on my A1200. That uses most of the available RAM :)
int p; // A

Offline ChaosLord

« Reply #54 on: November 27, 2012, 02:39:04 PM »
A unlimited number of games can be written in the future that need 256MB or more.

Offline Linde

• Show only replies by Linde
    • http://hata.zor.org/
« Reply #55 on: November 27, 2012, 02:44:58 PM »
Quote from: ChaosLord;716561
I don't think anyone cares about the filesize of the Original Doom in 1993.  It is 2012.  By my reckoning that makes it 19 years ago.

If you want to compare archive sizes of 1993 games then in 1993 TC was either at the 5MB level or 16MB level.  I don't remember which.  Toooo long ago.   If I had to pick I would say 5MB.

For those who are obsessed with archive sizes:
Why can't we compare the archive size that today's Doom sequel is?

You mean for the PS3 version?

So translated into English: Doom 3 requires 100% of all the ram available to the hardware, correct?

Doom 3 on PS3 ties up all the hardware resources and a player may not type a letter to grandma while the game is paused.  Is that correct?

You have a really annoying habit of extrapolating people's arguments to make the most ridiculous assumptions whenever you see fit. You're flailing at a strawman here; no, I don't mean the PS3 version of Doom 3.

Regarding being "allowed" to use 256 MB RAM, don't think for a second that anyone is trying to stop you. Use how much RAM you see fit, just don't be surprised that no 2 GB accelerators exist or when only a few people are interested in frankensteining their Amigas to play your game because of its requirements. I'm content with my 8 MB expansion, it allows me to play most of the games that made Amiga matter, and lets me use all the tools where Amiga still seems to have a definite edge over current hardware to me.

Offline Thorham

• Show only replies by Thorham
« Reply #56 on: November 27, 2012, 02:58:01 PM »
Quote from: ChaosLord;716566
A unlimited number of games can be written in the future that need 256MB or more.

I have a hard time with comming up with anything. Can you give me a concrete example of a hypothetical game that would need 256 megabytes of ram?

Offline yssing

• Show only replies by yssing
    • http://www.yssing.org
« Reply #57 on: November 27, 2012, 03:08:24 PM »
I have 256 on my A1200 and I ever use it all. But I do download to ram disk and use it for temp storage, so potentially I could use it all.

Offline ChaosLord

« Reply #58 on: November 27, 2012, 03:11:17 PM »
Quote from: Linde;716567
I don't mean the PS3 version of Doom 3.

Well tell me what you do mean.  I can't read your mind.

Are you saying PS3 version of Doom 3 uses more than 256MB?
Are you saying PS3 version of Doom 3 uses less than 256MB?

Are you saying PC version (which is a port of the PS3 or XBOX version) uses 256MB?

Or are you saying we should just drop this whole discussion since it doesn't actually matter how much ram DOOM3 uses? :)

Offline ChaosLord

« Reply #59 from previous page: November 27, 2012, 03:14:28 PM »
Quote from: yssing;716571
I have 256 on my A1200 and I ever use it all. But I do download to ram disk and use it for temp storage, so potentially I could use it all.

Do you consider your Amiga to have been "frankensteined"?