Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Semantic Dictionary Encoding  (Read 1845 times)

Description:

Offline TekoneiricTopic starter

• Show only replies by Tekoneiric
Semantic Dictionary Encoding
« on: August 13, 2003, 08:35:54 PM »
Years ago, in another life (lots of changes makes it feel that way), I was somewhat involved with an early Amiga OS replacement project. What ever happened to including Semantic Dictionary Encoding support?

Andrea

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
Re: Semantic Dictionary Encoding
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2003, 09:07:30 PM »
It became too complex to continue with so few developers, but I would like to see it started up again.

Offline Floid

• Show only replies by Floid
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2003, 09:21:48 PM »
You learn something new every day... and funny the conversations Google finds.

Now, call me stupid, but for the sake of argument (for educational purposes)... this is basically another way of *looking* at the crossplatform problem, isn't it?  A functioning virtual machine is then an implementation, but from this perspective, its 'dictionary' (virtual machine opcodes) might be suboptimal for reasons of flexibility (making wrong/bad abstractions), compactness, and reversibility?

That last point might be telling...

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2003, 09:27:37 PM »
Floid, indeed.

It was a core feature od AROS at one point, since AROS is Multiplatform we wanted some way to run the software on any of the AROS platforms. But no one had enough time to devote to it :(

-Edit- SDE was planned for AROS  long before the concept of AmigaDE  :-o

Offline TekoneiricTopic starter

• Show only replies by Tekoneiric
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2003, 10:15:52 PM »
Yea, the nice thing about that is all the incidental programs, such as preferences could be coded easy into a portable format. They could probably be written in a script language. Many of the simple shell commands could be too. I miss the list command from the Amiga.

Reading some of the posts I made to the newsgroups years ago under my old name is really giving me the programming bug back. I need to wipe away at the cobwebs on my programming skills. I certainly have the time at it these days. I do technical support for a computer company and only have about 5 or 6 issues a day to deal with so I have lots of time on my hands. I still have my Amiga setup at home to code on.

Andrea

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2003, 10:20:08 PM »

Tekoneiric wrote:
Yea, the nice thing about that is all the incidental programs, such as preferences could be coded easy into a portable format. They could probably be written in a script language. Many of the simple shell commands could be too. I miss the list command from the Amiga.

Reading some of the posts I made to the newsgroups years ago under my old name is really giving me the programming bug back. I need to wipe away at the cobwebs on my programming skills. I certainly have the time at it these days. I do technical support for a computer company and only have about 5 or 6 issues a day to deal with so I have lots of time on my hands. I still have my Amiga setup at home to code on.

Andrea

Trot along back the the AROS website www.aros.org and join in we could use another pair of hands. Also try out the latest work!! :-)