Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Commodore trademark has a new daddy  (Read 24047 times)

Description:

Offline Krischan76

• Show only replies by Krischan76
Re: Commodore trademark has a new daddy
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2011, 03:22:29 PM »
Oh crap - I translated from my native language directly without consulting a dictionary. Funny meaning still.

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2011, 03:38:29 PM »
Oh, huzzah, now the PC clones can have stickers on them without paying a licensing fee. HUZZAH, I SAY.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2011, 04:06:11 PM »
Quote from: digitex;673599
Well, we got 'mo!
On Dec 22, 2011 Commodore USA, LLC and Amiga Inc. signed a new contract granting us EXCLUSIVE WORLDWIDE rights to ALL format computers branded with the Amiga trademark IP. These registered trademarked logos include the BOING Ball, TIC/Check mark, letter A and the word AMIGA logos. Form factors include, but are not limited to Desktop, HTPC, Tower AIO/ Keyboard etc. This contract will run through Dec 31, 2018, with optional renewals. Additionally we have been granted the right to enforce the Amiga trademark IP, in instances where we feel the trademark property has been either used in an unauthorized manner or in a form not allowed under current international and US law. We look forward to releasing our initial Commodore Amiga branded computers beginning by the end of the first quarter 2012.

Uh, given that Amiga Inc.'s own ownership of those things is in question, you may have have just bought a bridge in Brooklyn...

Offline Amiga_Nut

• Show only replies by Amiga_Nut
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2011, 04:10:02 PM »
This is an absolute disaster for the community.

The C64x, the most ambitious of all Commodore USA products, is to put it bluntly the bare minimum. The keyboard has no PETSCII decals, is less contoured than the original, there is no way to use ANY C64 related peripherals under emulation (be it real 9 pin joysticks or 1541 replacement SD drives), does not come with a decent OS and is so over priced it makes Alienware PCs look cheap.

Leave it.

Offline spihunter

• Show only replies by spihunter
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2011, 04:57:53 PM »
Enjoy the Amiga curse!. You guys deserve it more then anyone!. I give you 6 months tops.

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2011, 05:08:07 PM »
They are still under the impression they can throw a bunch of workstation components in a case that any other company would charge $4,000 for and by virtue of the Amiga name, slap a $5,000 premium on it because it has the Amiga name on it.  The Amiga name has no value to people using commodity high end workstations, sorry - much less the hysterical thought of said workstation PC's coming with Commodore OS, LOL.  The Toaster days are long gone, sorry.

They can't, much less in a HTPC case like they had mocked up, lol.  I'm not sure if they put much thought into how that HTPC case would become a microwave over with a couple CPU's and Quadro cards in it, not that they would fit anyways.

Personally, I'll wait for my Amiga boing ball branded bathroom fixtures.  That's where the big cash cow lies, boys.

Offline giZmo350

• Lifetime Member
  • Gulfport, Miss
    • Show only replies by giZmo350
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2011, 05:13:52 PM »
Quote from: digitex;673599
Additionally we have been granted the right to enforce the Amiga trademark IP, in instances where we feel the trademark property has been either used in an unauthorized manner or in a form not allowed under current international and US law.

Told ya this would happen!

I wonder what CUSA will do to those not paying a royalty for using the BOING Ball, TIC/Check mark, letter A and the word AMIGA logos on their websites or other uses such as merchandise.
A500: 2MB Chip, 8MB Fast, IndiECS, MiniMegi, IDE4ZorroII on Z-500, KS1.3/KS3.1, WB3.1&BWB

A2000HD: 2MB Chip, 128MB Fast, P5:Blizz 2060@50MHz, PCD-50B/4GBCF, XSurf100, RapidRoad, IndiECS, Matze RTG, MiniMegi, CD-RW, SunRize AD516, WB3.9

A1200: 2MB Chip, 64MB Fast, 4GBCF, GVP Typhoon 030 @40MHz w/FPU, Subway USB, EasyNet Ethernet, Indi AGA MKI, FastATA MK-IV, Internal Slim CD/DVD-RW, WB3.5

Surfing The Web With AMIGA Is Fun Again!

Offline amigasociety

« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2011, 05:22:59 PM »
All this does not mean they can now go after Hyperion and Aeon again for use of the AmigaOne and AmigaOS names, can they?

tj
AmigaOne A1222 (Tabor)
AmigaOne X5000

Offline TheDaddy

• Show only replies by TheDaddy
    • http://www.loriano.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2011, 05:28:27 PM »
So nobody can use the letter "A"? :D

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2011, 05:35:25 PM »
Quote from: spirantho;673603
It's good that all the Commodore and Amiga branding is united under one roof again.....

.. as long as the names aren't just used to stick on generic PCs as leverage to sell machines anyway.

+1

But congrats, in any case.  Best of luck! :)
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline spirantho

« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2011, 05:43:56 PM »
Quote from: amigasociety;673634
All this does not mean they can now go after Hyperion and Aeon again for use of the AmigaOne and AmigaOS names, can they?

tj

Nope. That's already been settled, they can't be tried again, it'd just be thrown out of court.

Plus I seriously doubt C=USA either have the money to go through such a court case, or to be stupid enough to try, given the fact that it's already been decided in Hyperion's favour (and before anyone pipes up saying Hyperion didn't win, it was quite obvious that Hyperion had the stronger case otherwise Amiga Inc wouldn't have capitulated so easily - that's as good as winning).
--
Ian Gledhill
ian.gledhill@btinternit.com (except it should be internEt of course...!)
Check out my shop! http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ - for 8-bit (and soon 16-bit) goodness!

Offline Terminills

• Grand Conspirator
    • Show only replies by Terminills
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2011, 07:06:21 PM »
Support AROS sponsor a developer.

edited by mod: this has been addressed

Offline Delta

• Show only replies by Delta
    • http://www.atelierdujeu.com
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2011, 07:18:53 PM »
So that's a big annoucement for them? ....ooooo...kaayy...  Now what?

A company selling fake 64s and planning to build fake Amigas buying the rights from a company doing absolutely nothing...  Wow! bright future ahead...

/end of huuuuuge sarcasm
-=Delta

Offline Kronos

• Resident blue troll
    • Show only replies by Kronos
    • http://www.SteamDraw.de
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2011, 07:21:37 PM »
Did AInc really capitulate or did they just found a way of getting what they wanted (being able to licence "teh name" to someone else) without further cost ?

Hyperion having a stronger case ??? Wasn't it something around:
"Since we didn't fullfill our part of the contract(s) we now demand that we are allowed to pull a clause that has been illegal from day one (read reordering creditors)"

The whole court case was a complete mess from both sides and the quality of the settling wasn't much better, so yes I'm quite sure a good lawyer could find a loophole allowing NotC=USA  to sue Hyperion over the use of the Amiga-trademarks.

Do I think they will go down that way ? *shrug* ..... but I sure keep a king-size bucket of popcorn ready just in case ;)
1. Make an announcment.
2. Wait a while.
3. Check if it can actually be done.
4. Wait for someone else to do it.
5. Start working on it while giving out hillarious progress-reports.
6. Deny that you have ever announced it
7. Blame someone else

Offline Akiko

• Show only replies by Akiko
« Reply #29 from previous page: December 30, 2011, 07:24:41 PM »
Quote from: amigasociety;673634

tj

I shouldn't think so, logos form part of the settlement between Hyperion and Inc.
I'm not sure on A-eon, if they have acquired the AmigaOne name somehow from
Hyperion, are if it was transferred from Eyetec who were granted the original rights
from Ainc.