Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: SCART cable with exposed metal  (Read 1302 times)

Description:

Offline blindguyTopic starter

SCART cable with exposed metal
« on: August 07, 2019, 06:16:38 PM »
I bought a SCART cabel from the Amiga Kit Amiga Store and I need some of your thoughts.
I didn't notice in the description that they were trimmed 25-way modified connectors which have been cut down to 23-way (2x holes removed).
So when I received the cable I was surprised to find a piece of the metal which is the remander of the cut pins on the side of the cable.
I am VERY worried about using this on my precious Amiga. 
They are very resistant to me returning the object and have not yet provided a RMA and keep telling me it is fine. 
Also, as I am in the US, it will cost me more to ship the cable back to the UK then it is worth but I DO NOT want to put thi in my Amiga.
The Amiga Kit Amiga Store is insistant that this will not harm my computer but I'm pretty sure that they will not give me a new A500 when my goes up in smoke.

Can you guys please take a look at the pictures I have and let me know your thoughts.

I am upset as I wanted to buy one of their new A500 covers and a few other things from them but after this I can not trust them to refund shoddy work so I will probally never do business with them again.

Offline TribbleSmasher

Re: SCART cable with exposed metal
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2019, 07:02:18 PM »
It doesn't look very nice but you will probably not damage your Amiga - if the plug fits, that is.

Offline Brian Hoskins

• Electronics Engineer & Computer Programmer
    • Show only replies by Brian Hoskins
    • brianhoskins.uk
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2019, 07:23:38 PM »
The problem is that genuine 23-pin D-Types are rarer than Hen's teeth.  So the only (affordable) means by which these cables can be created and sold is to cut down 25-way connectors.

Now, obviously, cutting a 25-way down to a 23-way is not going to make it look like it just came off a production line.

But there's no need to worry about connecting this to your AMIGA.  The trace of copper that you see looks like it is the remains of one of the discarded pins of the 25-way connector.  So it's not connected to anything.

If you plug this in it's not going to damage your AMIGA.

Offline TribbleSmasher

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2019, 07:37:50 PM »
Funny thing is, that connector is still available, at least in Europe. The realy rare one is the THT variant for PCBs.

Female:
http://shop.griederbauteile.ch/product_info.php?products_id=10681&language=en
Male:
http://shop.griederbauteile.ch/product_info.php?products_id=10713&language=en
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 08:52:22 PM by TribbleSmasher »

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2019, 08:41:12 PM »
Thanks for the note, I'm going to see if I can pull it out with somethign.

I didn't want to do surgery to it until they refused the return/refund.

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2019, 08:44:19 PM »

Funny thing is, that connector is still available, at least in Europe. The realy rare one is the THT variant for PCBs.

Thanks for the note and yes, there are other vendors on other board advertising proper cables, I guess the Amiga Kit Amiga Store does not want to use the quality parts when they can use some junk that was left around for another purpose.

My fault for ordering from them, wont make that mistake again.

Offline Brian Hoskins

• Electronics Engineer & Computer Programmer
    • Show only replies by Brian Hoskins
    • brianhoskins.uk
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2019, 07:10:16 AM »

Female:
Male:
http://shop.griederbauteile.ch/product_info.php?products_id=10713&language=en

Interesting, thanks for the source.

Can you still get the shells though? I had a look on that site and couldn't find any 23-pin versions.

The DB-23* was kind of non-standard and not widely adopted in industry.  This is why we have these problems now.

* where 'B' is intended to refer to the shell size, even though the DB23 did not use a 'B' shell size.

EDIT: I just checked the AmigaKit website and I see that there is a notice on the product page which explains that they are using trimmed down 25-way connectors for the reason I already described.  It's pretty reasonably priced, to be honest.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 08:35:25 AM by Brian Hoskins »

Offline F0LLETT

• Amigakit / A-EON Support
  • Administrator
    • Show only replies by F0LLETT
    • Ultimate Amiga
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2019, 05:04:35 PM »

Female:

Anyone can find links to them, try and buy them. The link you posted, only have around 100. Which are priced way to high.

I am upset as I wanted to buy one of their new A500 covers and a few other things from them but after this I can not trust them to refund shoddy work so I will probally never do business with them again.

As already pointed out, it will not hurt the A500. My colleague has already told me, that he has already explained that every cable is tested before shipping. However you have not mentioned it here. It seems, no one is interested in reading the big paragraph of text explainaing the cut down connector. I think at one point I even made it red to draw peoples attention to it.

Quote from: Hungry Horace
Resolute and Industrious Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire
Ultimate Amiga Network (Home of SONY PSP Amiga Emulator and AMOS Factory)

Quote from:  He who shall not be named
"Chris is that you!!!"
My all time favorite quote.

Offline TribbleSmasher

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2019, 05:16:46 PM »
I can add upto 101 pcs, but this might be an artificial limit for non-commercial customers, who knows?
3 or 4 bucks/pc is not too much money imho, anyway.

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2019, 05:26:45 PM »
I can add upto 101 pcs, but this might be an artificial limit for non-commercial customers, who knows?

I agree, I will just have to be more careful of which dealers I purchase from in the future.

Offline F0LLETT

• Amigakit / A-EON Support
  • Administrator
    • Show only replies by F0LLETT
    • Ultimate Amiga
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2019, 05:35:30 PM »

I can actually add, 121. So they only have that many left. Its not the point, though.

Quote from: Hungry Horace
Resolute and Industrious Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire
Ultimate Amiga Network (Home of SONY PSP Amiga Emulator and AMOS Factory)

Quote from:  He who shall not be named
"Chris is that you!!!"
My all time favorite quote.

Offline TribbleSmasher

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2019, 07:26:26 PM »
I agree, for a reseller to add more value the initial price is certainly to high, but i don't know really. And maybe shipping from Switzerland to U.K. ond so forth.