Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Upgrade to Windows 8 Pro for only $39.99!  (Read 29743 times)

Description:

Offline tone007Topic starter

Upgrade to Windows 8 Pro for only $39.99!
« on: July 03, 2012, 01:12:05 PM »
Not even Windows 3.1 was this inexpensive!

http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/b/bloggingwindows/archive/2012/07/02/upgrade-to-windows-8-pro-for-39-99.aspx

I wonder how it'll sell.  I think the low price will make it move.
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
Re: Upgrade to Windows 8 Pro for only $39.99!
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 02:21:40 PM »
Hmm, I can upgrade XP?
I have two copies of that, so I might upgrade one.

BTW - I paid less for Windows Home Server 2011 (which is Win7 based).
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 02:23:50 PM »
How you liking WHS 2011, Iggy?

I recently switched from FreeNAS to WHS 2011 on my one NAS server and I'm loving it so far.

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 02:34:55 PM »
Nice try but they'll have to pay me a lot more than 40 dollars to use their software.

Offline gaula92

• Show only replies by gaula92
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 02:58:05 PM »
Ufff... Microsoft sofware makes me feel sick.

It's been seven years since I last had a Windows computer, and I will NEVER go back to that world of bloat, virusses, malware, registry nightmares, slowness, fragmentation and uglyness.

Linux covers my daily needs: it runs on my Pandaboard ES silent fanless computer wich boots in seconds with it's TI kernel. It's free, fast, light and secure. If I'd still be using Windows **** after all those years I'd feel pretty idiotic.
Other OSes I use are Amiga OS (on minimg, fpga-arcade) and Risc OS (on the Pandaboard ES, too).

WHY on earth would anybody use Microsft Windows these days? No, seriously: Lubuntu is SO easy that even my parents use it every day and I didn't have to teach them a single thing! Using M$ **** is nonsense.

The only Micro-**** software I run is...well, MSX-DOS on my Altera DE1 home-made MSX2+ computer :D
And it'll remain like that.

If I only had M$ Windows to choose from, I'm sure I'd leave computers for good.

Offline Heiroglyph

• Show only replies by Heiroglyph
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 03:07:59 PM »
They will have a hard time getting most people to "upgrade" from Windows 7 even for $40.  Win7 is really the best version yet.

I run a lot of alternative OS's but I still spend most of my time there.

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 03:26:26 PM »
Quote from: gaula92;698879
Ufff... Microsoft sofware makes me feel sick.

It's been seven years since I last had a Windows computer, and I will NEVER go back to that world of bloat, virusses, malware, registry nightmares, slowness, fragmentation and uglyness.

Linux covers my daily needs: it runs on my Pandaboard ES silent fanless computer wich boots in seconds with it's TI kernel. It's free, fast, light and secure. If I'd still be using Windows **** after all those years I'd feel pretty idiotic.
Other OSes I use are Amiga OS (on minimg, fpga-arcade) and Risc OS (on the Pandaboard ES, too).

WHY on earth would anybody use Microsft Windows these days? No, seriously: Lubuntu is SO easy that even my parents use it every day and I didn't have to teach them a single thing! Using M$ **** is nonsense.

The only Micro-**** software I run is...well, MSX-DOS on my Altera DE1 home-made MSX2+ computer :D
And it'll remain like that.

If I only had M$ Windows to choose from, I'm sure I'd leave computers for good.

You have to love the **** that people talk.  Do you think Linux or MaxOS or Amiga OS would be any different it had 95% desktop market share ?
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline Ilwrath

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 03:43:38 PM »
Quote from: tone007;698856
Not even Windows 3.1 was this inexpensive!

Yeah...  That's a deep discount, for sure.  I think it kinda shows how desperate Microsoft is for a new runaway hit.  They want some splashy numbers to throw around.  Their last two operating systems have had fairly slow uptakes, and Office 2010 uptake has been glacial, as far as I can tell.  Their biggest competitor is by far their own older products.

I wonder how it'll sell.  I think the low price will make it move.

I tend to think you're right.  Though it is interesting, selling the upgrade to Windows 8 from XP cheaper than the upgrade to Windows 7 is.  It almost admits that Windows 8 has less to offer desktop users than Windows 7, which isn't far from the truth, IMHO.

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, 04:01:13 PM »
Windows 7 is the new XP, I have no doubts about that.

Just like people absolutely refused to give up XP when Vista (or even 7, for awhile) came out, same thing will happen with Windows 8 and W7.  There's really no valid reason for any desktop user to go for it, and despite MS's claims everyone will just love the tile experience, people will avoid W8 like the plague on desktops.

Even at $40, I see no valid reason to "upgrade".

Not sure I would chalk it up to desperation, but more following the Apple model of cheaper, more frequent updates.

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2012, 04:39:54 PM »
Ignoring the windows phone xbox tile desktop, from reports I have read windows 8 is more stable and much quicker in parts than even win 7
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2012, 05:44:46 PM »
Quote from: Duce;698872
How you liking WHS 2011, Iggy?

I recently switched from FreeNAS to WHS 2011 on my one NAS server and I'm loving it so far.

It was kind of a pain to set up, but its helped tie all my hardware together.
Which reminds me, I need to update my signature.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2012, 05:46:54 PM »
As Ilwrath says, this is a desperation maneuver; evidently they've picked up on the fact that a lot of people are very, very Not Happy about the idea of being forced into using a tablet UI on a desktop or laptop, and hope that making it ultra-cheap will persuade them.

I really don't think it will, though. Microsoft obviously doesn't care about desktop users enough to give them an interface designed for their machines, which every previous version of Windows has, and cutting the price without addressing the complaint only sends a message to disgruntled users that "no, we don't think your concern is legitimate, but we're hoping we can buy your compliance." That's just damned insulting, that is.

It's not going to work. This'll probably snare a few people who were on the fence, but the majority of people who do not want a tablet interface aren't going to suddenly want a tablet interface just because it's now cheap. All this is really going to accomplish is netting them less money from the faithful who were always going to upgrade anyway. Good one, Microsoft.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline tone007Topic starter

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2012, 06:07:30 PM »
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

Offline psxphill

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2012, 06:10:29 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;698902
As Ilwrath says, this is a desperation maneuver; evidently they've picked up on the fact that a lot of people are very, very Not Happy about the idea of being forced into using a tablet UI on a desktop or laptop, and hope that making it ultra-cheap will persuade them.

It's more likely they are making it cheap to attract customers that would pirate it, if it were more expensive.

It doesn't matter how they price it, you'd still complain.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2012, 06:27:51 PM »
Quote from: psxphill;698905
It doesn't matter how they price it, you'd still complain.
Well yes, that was my point. The people who are unhappy about the direction Windows 8 is taking are not going to be swayed by price when they feel like their real concerns are being dismissed and ignored.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup