Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New DOSbox up for testing and...  (Read 5231 times)

Description:

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
Re: New DOSbox up for testing and...
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2011, 08:36:59 AM »
If you guys must know i was a wee bit drunk  :p  I started drinking passion pops at 11am   :drink: and got my hangover at 5 pm. I think I'm partied out. God it hurts right now   :(
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2011, 08:57:58 AM »
Nothing to be ashamed of Kesa. I hear Richard Gere is a charismatic person and has charmed many people to voluntarily be raped by hamsters.

That aside though,..... Passion Pops,.... what the heck are you thinking? That stuff is vile. I can excuse experimentation with hamsters, but drinking that stuff is unforgivable for anyone claiming to be male.
Not just that, but it also instantly changes your status from a man to a woman. Not that there's anything wrong with that, Im quite fond of woman, I just though you should know.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 09:02:42 AM by fishy_fiz »
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2011, 09:40:09 AM »
Ah, but i am a uni student and uni students are supposed to drink goon. I also love the taste (purple is watermelon). Nothing like it! :)

The only think i can remember about Richard Gear is in the movie The Jackal. His Irish accent is beyond lamo :hammer:  

WTF is this about hamsters? (I prefer possums myself)
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline Tripitaka

• Show only replies by Tripitaka
    • http://acidapple.com
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2011, 10:58:30 AM »
Well done Fishy, good job....
.... I'm going somewhere else now.
Falling into a dark and red rage.

Offline fishy_fiz

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2011, 11:51:19 AM »
All sillyness aside Id appreciate it if anyone with an inclination could try it out on thier systems and give me feedback please.

http://myfreefilehosting.com/f/70d248f68f_5.48NB

The one error reported so far suggests that double buffering needs to be disabled in the config file if using intelgma, but Ive yet to try it on that hardware myself and didnt need to on my hardware. Just keep it in mind if your aros hardware is using intel gma graphics.

Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 11:54:56 AM by fishy_fiz »
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2011, 12:19:50 PM »
Great! Thanks Fishy! I have 8 gigs of dos games I REALLY have to try to add to my aros box now.

Steven

Offline XDelusionTopic starter

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2011, 06:41:20 PM »
Quote from: fishy_fiz;668287
All sillyness aside Id appreciate it if anyone with an inclination could try it out on thier systems and give me feedback please.

The one error reported so far suggests that double buffering needs to be disabled in the config file if using intelgma, but Ive yet to try it on that hardware myself and didnt need to on my hardware. Just keep it in mind if your aros hardware is using intel gma graphics.

Thanks in advance

I was just about to bring up the Double Buffering issue...

and I'm running a board with on-board NVIDIA GFX.

Anyhow, right off the bat I realized that the mouse was indeed fixed!!! I fired up the first Crusader game and was delighted to see that it was playable! I then went straight to Dark Forces, Exhumed, Prisoner of Ice, and eventually Batman Arkham City which ran much much better than I expected!!! Who would have known that this version of DOSbox would somehow manage to make Windows 7 games playable and at full speed with only a mere 512Mb of RAM!!! You are a miracle worker!!!! It made me forget about all those Hamster and Possums that have congregated inside Kesas' rectum.

On that note, now that he's a woman, I wonder if he's going to pose in Lycra for us sometime? I wonder if him and Richard are going to be making a Pretty Woman II?

On the down side, I have noticed that some games (unless played in a really small screen) still suffer from sound hick ups and the occasional wobblyiness in controls, even though my system should in theory be fast enough to keep up.

For the note I am running a 2.1Ghz machine with 512Mb of RAM and a 400Mhz front side bus. I'm considering installing Windows onto a second drive on this computer so I can compare how DOSbox acts under it compared to how it runs under AROS.

Maybe I just need to invest in a slightly faster machine with a better bus?

All in all, I am VERY VERY impressed!!! I can not thank you enough for all the time you've put into getting this right!!! Even with the occasional sound pops! Oh, but wait I will say that I do hear a constant Industrial Static noise in the background when I play some titles, I.E. Prisoner of Ice. Strange, but thankfully more or less an isolated incident thus far.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2011, 01:23:23 AM »
Fish informed me that Windows 95 should work with this version of DOSbox.

I'm about to attempt this my self using this guide:

http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?t=17324

And here are some images to give you and idea of what you might be able to expect.

http://ykhwong.x-y.net/sshots/sshots.html

Jedi Knight and Half-Life will hopefully be playable, maybe not on my current computer, but a faster one.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline fishy_fiz

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2011, 06:49:19 AM »
Ah, very cool. I see from those screenshots that current svn version of dosbox now has 3dfx emulation and that d3d is now available to Windows under Dosbox.
I'll have to download it and have a look. This could potentially bring quite a few new playable games to the table and make some others quite playable, even on more modest computers (assuming supported 3d hardware is available).

I cant wait to check out 3d accelerated halflife on AROS  :)

Offline Amiduffer

• Show only replies by Amiduffer
    • http://www.geocities.com/laverdiereaf/
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2011, 06:59:37 AM »
Quote from: fishy_fiz;668265
Men in lycra give me an overwhelming desire to poke my eyes out.

Please hide all sharp objects when looking at this picture. Yes it's me.
Amiga 3000D UP and running! Hear that clicking. 8)
Amiga 3000D & 4000D in storage sadly.

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2011, 04:24:33 PM »
I need a copy of Win 95a.

Installed B and it ain't pretty. Run32.dll crashes left and right!!!

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2011, 06:26:54 PM »
Quote from: fishy_fiz;668287

Thanks in advance

If this manages to get my DOS copy of X-COM:  "Terror From The Deep" running then I'll be the happiest man on Earth.  :-D
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2011, 06:38:54 PM »
I don't see why it wouldn't.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2011, 07:13:28 PM »
Does DOSBox provide GUS emulation?
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline fishy_fiz

« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2011, 07:55:46 PM »
@amiduffer

That's both interesting and creepy at the same time  :)

@nicholas

Yep, it does (emulate GUS).

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #29 from previous page: November 19, 2011, 08:02:54 PM »
Quote from: fishy_fiz;668457
@amiduffer

That's both interesting and creepy at the same time  :)

Disturbing Hugh?

I don't know about some of these people around here. :)