Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Looking for alt OS for Atari/Mac Classic  (Read 4483 times)

Description:

Offline nicholas

Re: Looking for alt OS for Atari/Mac Classic
« Reply #29 from previous page: November 13, 2011, 11:26:15 PM »
Quote from: saimon69;667724
Not the first time that i ask, just i wonder how hard might be to do a port of AROS for mac classic and other 68k/PPC old world non/amiga machines based on 68k Amiga port, and how good might perform...

Saimon69

One of the FreeMiNT developers is working on a 68k MiNT-hosted port of AROS.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2011, 12:07:58 AM »
Quote from: saimon69;667724
Not the first time that i ask, just i wonder how hard might be to do a port of AROS for mac classic and other 68k/PPC old world non/amiga machines based on 68k Amiga port, and how good might perform...

Saimon69

I really think it would be a great idea.

68k Macs are cheap as hell and really easy to find. For example I bought mine for just $8 including shipping. I got a 68040 machine with 128MB of ram, that has both ide and scsi. On top of that it has ethernet and the chipset can handle 16 bit resolutions without any flicker. It is very well built hardware.

It makes a lot better Aros 68k machine in many aspects than most amigas, and at a fraction of their costs. Imagine finding an amiga with similar specs... How much would you have to pay to grab it?

Offline XDelusionTopic starter

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2011, 12:59:36 AM »
Quadra is going for around $100 the last I looked.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2011, 01:57:01 AM »
I do not have a Quadra, I have a Performa, which is a lot cheaper.
And then you have all the LC Mac line, which many of them have a 68040.

But anyway, mate, go ahead, make a hardware comparison between a $100 Quadra an a similarly specced Amiga and you will find a big difference in price and availability.

On the other hand, running Aros on a 68k Mac is as usefull as running MagiCMac on it ;)

Offline soviet

• Show only replies by soviet
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2011, 02:43:26 PM »
Wow gulliver you are the best :D i cant wait to try it im posting pics of it running on my quadra 950

Offline soviet

• Show only replies by soviet
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2011, 03:04:44 PM »
Hey also what kind of atari software can by run on this ? theres some place having information recomended apps or someone can trow in some links to hot apps :D

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2011, 09:52:35 PM »
Good points. :)

Quote from: Gulliver;667763
I do not have a Quadra, I have a Performa, which is a lot cheaper.
And then you have all the LC Mac line, which many of them have a 68040.

But anyway, mate, go ahead, make a hardware comparison between a $100 Quadra an a similarly specced Amiga and you will find a big difference in price and availability.

On the other hand, running Aros on a 68k Mac is as usefull as running MagiCMac on it ;)
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2011, 10:43:07 PM »
Quote from: soviet;667806
Hey also what kind of atari software can by run on this ? theres some place having information recomended apps or someone can trow in some links to hot apps :D

You can run OS friendly programs. Programs that directly hit the Atari hardware will fail.
There are tcp-ip stacks, web browsers, video players, word processors, etc, that will work quite nicely. Many of them are free/shareware. Google is your friend :)

And then where are your pics? :)

@XDelusion and @Soviet
I will seek thru my dvds to find interesting Atari stuff for you. I will let you know when I find something ;)

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2011, 11:49:25 PM »
Thank you again kind sir!!!

Quote from: Gulliver;667886
You can run OS friendly programs. Programs that directly hit the Atari hardware will fail.
There are tcp-ip stacks, web browsers, video players, word processors, etc, that will work quite nicely. Many of them are free/shareware. Google is your friend :)

And then where are your pics? :)

@XDelusion and @Soviet
I will seek thru my dvds to find interesting Atari stuff for you. I will let you know when I find something ;)

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2011, 04:29:59 AM »
Okay here we go:
Lots of applications for Atari 32bit machines. Games are easily found elsewhere on the net. Just check the Atariz.zip file for many cool apps :)

http://www.mediafire.com/?zw34o3s7y57db

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2011, 05:01:27 AM »
Gasp!!! :)

I know I'm not going to be able to spend time with this for a while, but I'm excited.

Thank you once again!!!

BTW, ever hear of Lonny Pursell? (spelling?).

He's famous for writing up a single file IRC client in GFA Basic. Good friend of mine! Lives about 4 miles away. Can't think of the name of the app though, and I need to get in touch with Lonny, it's been a while.

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2011, 05:40:30 AM »
BTW, MagiC will not work under Basilisk II either. I just tried it under MorphOS. The mac side FLEW, but MagiC gave back the same error as Shape Shifter did.

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2011, 06:12:40 AM »
@XDelusion

About your friend: Lonnie Purcell

His website: http://userpages.bright.net/~gfabasic/
His IRC client: AtarIRC

BTW, have you tried Mac emulation with Fusion 3.2?

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2011, 06:18:25 PM »
Ha ha, that's Lonny!!!

As fate would have it, one of his relatives is in the home I work at and I was talking to one of his cousins last night which brought him to mind.

Anyhow, his IRC client is really nice, though it has been forever since I used it. I do remember Lonny saying something a long time ago about how he never liked libraries and this and that, and preferred to write programs that were all contained within one file.

Anyhow, Fusion...

I heard that Fusion is generally only good to use on a RTG based system and that it did not handle too well on standard AGA. I remember trying to set it up once years ago, but got no where.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2011, 06:49:48 PM »
Quote from: XDelusion;667972
I do remember Lonny saying something a long time ago about how he never liked libraries and this and that, and preferred to write programs that were all contained within one file.
 OMG! Lonny is Franko! ;)
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2011, 09:19:01 PM »
Nope, wrong country. :)

Why? Does Franko have a thing for single file apps too?