Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Yup, I just banned him...  (Read 16202 times)

Description:

Offline slaapliedje

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by slaapliedje
Re: Yup, I just banned him...
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2013, 05:33:11 PM »
I find it kind of useful to know who's been banned and for how long.  If you happen to be corresponding with someone that you only know through here, and they get banned for a week, at least you'd know why they weren't replying.

slaapliedje
A4000D: Mediator 4000Di; Voodoo 3, ZorRAM 128MB, 10/100mb Ethernet, Spider 2. Cyberstorm PPC 060/50 604e/420.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2013, 05:38:07 PM »
Quote from: cgutjahr;750005
The "electric cars" section is a total waste of space and only exists to create some revenue for the site owner. And, more importantly: every time you stumble over it you're reminded that said site owner is trying to cover that up.

in this case id say: whatever! if it is a revenue to site owner allowing us to use this site to post our crap, im all for it. i have not even noticed that section and surely it does not take any unnecessary room as long as none is posting there, so whats there to complain about? even though i have usually been critical about the site owners practices in many cases, this in my eyes is nitpicking.

this said i dont see it as reason enough for banning whomever, though a week ban may be within a moderation error tolerance. ive been banned like that in here and on aw.net and got over with it. i hope thats what cj will act like as i see him as valuable poster. honestly id go for general amnesty and have people like franko and vox again here, no matter if i agree with them or not.

Offline mrmoonlight

• Show only replies by mrmoonlight
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2013, 05:52:12 PM »
Quote from: wawrzon;750022
in this case id say: whatever! if it is a revenue to site owner allowing us to use this site to post our crap, im all for it. i have not even noticed that section and surely it does not take any unnecessary room as long as none is posting there, so whats there to complain about? even though i have usually been critical about the site owners practices in many cases, this in my eyes is nitpicking.

this said i dont see it as reason enough for banning whomever, though a week ban may be within a moderation error tolerance. ive been banned like that in here and on aw.net and got over with it. i hope thats what cj will act like as i see him as valuable poster. honestly id go for general amnesty and have people like franko and vox again here, no matter if i agree with them or not.

I will second that bring back Franko  he will liven the place up and he can teach me a bit more ,best wishes Brian.
Amiga 1200 E-Matrix 32 bit Fast-Ram 20 gb wd harddrive
Amiga 1200 Compact Flash CF IDE Back Plate Adapter

Hisoft promidi Interface
MP3 MAS player
Amiga 600
ACA620EC Accelerator Kipper/type
CF 4GB
C/F HD
 Pioneer CD/DVD
Hisoft promidi Interface

Offline EDanaII

• Show only replies by EDanaII
    • http://www.EdwardGDanaII.info
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2013, 06:02:10 PM »
Franko, as best I can tell, has been banned from just about every forum he has joined...

Let's say, for the sake of argument, that such advertising does bring in revenue and keeps the site going. If money is good, then more money is even better. So, now, the owner opens more electric car forums and people start responding to them... there's a chance that this forum could stop being about Amigas and be about electric cars.

Is the above scenario a stretch? Yes, a little bit, but it could happen and suddenly "Amiga.org" is no longer of any use to the rest us. It's better if the Owner just opened up a TeslaRules.com forum and be done with it.

That said, CommodoreJohn can sometimes be a bit over-vocal. He often protests to strongly over issue that I, ordinarily, would have let go. But banning him at all for protesting an irrelevant forum to me is a bit much. Myself, as a moderator, would have likely responded "your protest is noted" and let it go at that.

But then again, as a moderator/admin of another Forum, I wouldn't be opening up any sub-forums that violate the actual purpose of the site. So, no, there won't be any Amiga sub-forums on my B-17 site even if it did make me money. Instead, I'd likely create another Site called "the Lovers of Amiga and B-17 Forum." I suspect it would be a pretty empty forum, but I bet it would generate as much money  as the Tesla forums are generating here...
Ed.

Offline cgutjahr

• Show only replies by cgutjahr
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2013, 06:21:14 PM »
Quote from: EDanaII;750027
Franko, as best I can tell, has been banned from just about every forum he has joined...

Yep, maybe the people wanting him back should take that as a clue.

Is the above scenario a stretch? Yes, a little bit, but it could happen

Something similar already happened. For the better part of a year, the owner(s) of the site were doing their best to create as many flame fests as possible - we all remember the CUSA threads which were created and constantly bumped by "Tedd", or how Franko was allowed to insult whoever he wanted or derail as many threads as he could muster.

All of that was an obvious attempt at boosting the site statistics (because that's what flame wars do, at least in the short term) - and the only reason you'd want to do that is to increase potential advertising revenue.

Just look at what that did to amiga.org...

Offline ferrellsl

• DavidseltyAJ
    • Show only replies by ferrellsl
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2013, 06:32:04 PM »
Quote from: J-Golden;750018
The reason Commodrejohn was banned for a week was because he broke the TOS after he was given a warning.

I announced it for several reasons.  First was that I usually make it known when I do this because I feel everyone deserves to know when such an action is taken.  I do not ban from the shadows nor do I do it without giving a warning or five.  By making it a news item I can make sure everyone has a chance to know what a Mod has done, not to showcase the individual.

Second, the reasons he was banned echoed of an on going issue on A.ORG.  My, "There's a new Sheriff in town" talk could have been done better, but on the same note there is no one perfect way to describe or explain my position.

Was there more to CJs ban then what is in the thread?  Yes.  Am I going to talk about the particulars?  No.  The OP covered the breaches so, hopefully, this will be avoided in the future.

Truth is I HATE putting out names.  The only reason I do it here is for the reasons I mentioned above.  If you think my tactics are too much one way or another, okay, that's fine.  But if you want to express yourself about me or anyone else on A.ORG in an abusive way, that's not fine.

People are allowed to have a difference of opinion and as I've said on countless occasions that is what makes the Amiga so great!  But when you purposely post to cause discord or anything else that breaks the TOS, how can you NOT get penalized?  

Oh, and if you think I am allowed to run around banning people willy-nilly, I already have, and replied to, a PM from SysAdmin to explain my actions.  It's all part of the job.  I know it is thankless.  But I still do it and I'll continue to do it the best way I know how.

I'm glad he's been banned for a while.  On many threads, he drove people off by using it as a bully-pulpit especially if it was a thread of his starting.  Anyone who disagreed with him or had a differing viewpoint, was in simpler terms, called an idiot and told to shut up.  I think that's been a problem for A.org for a while now, people who want to use the forums to be bullies rather than a place of discussion and information sharing.

Offline LoadWB

• Show only replies by LoadWB
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2013, 06:38:04 PM »
Amiga.org used to be a great forum for hackers (the good kind,) those in the know, those moderately in the know, and those who wished to be could mingle; 99% of the threads in the hot list were directly Amiga-related.  It used to be an Amiga forum.  Now it's devolved into an IRC channel.  Sometimes I wonder why it's still at the top of my "awesome bar."

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2013, 06:38:37 PM »
Quote from: wawrzon;750022
honestly id go for general amnesty and have people like franko and vox again here, no matter if i agree with them or not.

oh have not noticed vox is back anyway.;)

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2013, 06:46:05 PM »
Quote from: cgutjahr;750031
Yep, maybe the people wanting him back should take that as a clue.

why? i can well make up my conclusions myself. im sorry, but i refuse to be given clue by sorts of moderation that bans people on those sites you have in mind (i can name only two).

Something similar already happened. For the better part of a year, the owner(s) of the site were doing their best to create as many flame fests as possible - we all remember the CUSA threads which were created and constantly bumped by "Tedd", or how Franko was allowed to insult whoever he wanted or derail as many threads as he could muster.

All of that was an obvious attempt at boosting the site statistics (because that's what flame wars do, at least in the short term) - and the only reason you'd want to do that is to increase potential advertising revenue.

Just look at what that did to amiga.org...

whatever, thats another subject that has been discussed to the death on appropriate occasion. on those subjects i usually agree, but not in this case, and i ask who of ask has actually been harmed by this action. anyone?

Offline SpeedGeek

« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2013, 06:58:45 PM »
Announcing a members ban (temporary or semi-permanent) is not done to showcase or cause further insult to the banned member. It's done to let other members know why this happened and REMIND all members that they DID agree to follow this sites rules when they signed up.

If no explanation was posted then it would lead to SPECULATION of why the member was banned and there would still be member disagreement over the ban. This would result in even more wasted space.

The worse thing that has happened here is that CJ has joined a growing list of banned and reinstated members. The best thing that can happen is that CJ and the others will return with some respect for the mods and rules even if they disagree with them.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 08:44:27 PM by SpeedGeek »

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2013, 07:10:01 PM »
Quote from: SpeedGeek;750039
Announcing a members ban (temporary or semi-permanent) is not done to showcase or cause further insult to the banned member. It's done to let other members why this happened and REMIND all members that they DID agree to follow this sites rules when they signed up.he others will return with some respect for the mods and rules even if they disagree with them.

if you say so.. when i was banned for a week or so, none cared to mention this let alone dedicate a thread to this event :( ... sad..

Offline vox

• Show only replies by vox
    • http://anticusa.wordpress.com
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2013, 07:38:34 PM »
Quote from: wawrzon;750035
oh have not noticed vox is back anyway.;)

Being back on personal request, I still vote for general amnesty, even I am not a president :-)
Future Acube and MOS supporter, fi di good, nothing fi di unprofessionals. Learn it harder way! http://www.youtube.com/user/rasvoja and https://www.facebook.com/rasvoja

Offline kickstart

• Show only replies by kickstart
« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2013, 07:50:42 PM »
@owner admins or whatever

After this power demonstration, i don't know commodorejohn or his opinions at this moment and i don't care of it... why not fix the login problems?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 05:07:29 AM by Argo »
a1200 060

Offline Tempest

• Show only replies by Tempest
« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2013, 09:19:27 PM »
Quote from: kickstart;750042
@owner admins or whatever

After this power demostration, i dont knot commodorejohn or his opinions at this moment and i dont care of it... why not fix the login problems?

Why bother login in, this site isn't worth it.

I already removed amiga.org from my bookmarks a couple of years ago because it just isn't worth it anymore but occasionally I visit this site, just like today.

This was once a great site with lots of usefull information for Amiga owners but the last couple of years it's gone downhill really fast.

The reason commodorejohn was banned is bogus and making a news item out of it is totally ridiculous. That's just crap moderation, no way around it, just man up and admit it.

Please mister crap moderator ban me for live, I have no intensions to visit this site anyways as it has nothing to do with Amiga anymore. Luckily there still are some sites that do.

Offline yssing

• Show only replies by yssing
    • http://www.yssing.org
« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2013, 10:30:44 PM »
What a kindergarten!

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #44 from previous page: October 13, 2013, 10:43:01 PM »
Quote from: ferrellsl;750032
I'm glad he's been banned for a while.  On many threads, he drove people off by using it as a bully-pulpit especially if it was a thread of his starting.  Anyone who disagreed with him or had a differing viewpoint, was in simpler terms, called an idiot and told to shut up.  I think that's been a problem for A.org for a while now, people who want to use the forums to be bullies rather than a place of discussion and information sharing.

Well, not without admitting my own faults (of this nature), you're not the most laid back easy going guy yourself.

And the demeaning and abusive language is why some people like AmigaDave are not seen here any more.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"