Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: MorphOS Team will show MorphOS at Amiga Meeting 2010  (Read 4336 times)

Description:

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
Re: MorphOS Team will show MorphOS at Amiga Meeting 2010
« Reply #14 from previous page: July 24, 2010, 11:04:27 PM »
Thanks Andre,
That's the best piece of video I've seen from Essen yet. The development version of MorphOS looks remarkably advanced.
How come no one's posted a link to this on MorphZone?

Do you have any idea whether the Powermac was running a similar version of the OS (dev. ver. 3.0 etc.) or an offshoot of 2.5?
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline kolla

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2010, 12:14:55 AM »
Is there any work done to improve networking in MorphOS?

I know "most users" don't care about networking capabilities untill they're on the losing end as new technology is entering their homes - Windows is ready, OSX is ready, Linux is ready, all the BSDs are ready, all systems any ISP might care about are ready - is MorphOS ready?

* WPA/WPA2 wireless stack capable of EAP-TLS/TTLS/PEAP as well as PSK - WEP is vanishing rapidly (good riddance, it was broken by design).
* Multicast, which is what I use to watch TV online for a few years now - the only rudimentary implementation of multicast on Amiga was in MiamiDx, and it was not used any applications.
* IPv6, which I also have ran in production both at work and at home for many years now - IPv4 address space _is_ running out, all major systems are more or less ready and running dual-stack for many many years now, even smaller systems like Haiku has work being done to make sure they're ready. In amigaland everyone is sticking their heads in the sand.
* Implement common _modern_ protocols into the OS and the desktop, modularise transport methods for filetransfers... support for scp/sftp, webdav, dlna ...

I'm sorry, but playing full screen videos doesn't impress me much (unless you do it on Minimi or similar), and the usability of MorphOS on a laptop is more or less killed if it cannot do wireless networking properly, and MorphOS (or any OS for that matter) is of little use if fundamental networking capabilities are lacking. MorphOS' current networking stack, like the ones of OS4 and AROS, is stuck in the early 1990ies - this _needs_ to change if you want to keep up with the world around you.

What is the path forward for MorphOS, apart from supporting some more hardware - is there any roadmap or even ideas on where it will go? Am I really the only one who care about these things here? :)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 12:17:09 AM by kolla »
B5D6A1D019D5D45BCC56F4782AC220D8B3E2A6CC
---
A3000/060CSPPC+CVPPC/128MB + 256MB BigRAM/Deneb USB
A4000/CS060/Mediator4000Di/Voodoo5/128MB
A1200/Blz1260/IndyAGA/192MB
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV
MiSTer, MiST, FleaFPGAs and original Minimig
Peg1, SAM440 and Mac minis with MorphOS

Offline Methuselas

• Show only replies by Methuselas
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2010, 12:27:31 AM »
Well, sitting on the fence, this does go to show one thing. Hyperion said Moana "couldn't be done". I think the MorphOS people proved them utterly wrong. This hardware is cheap and readily available. More bang for your buck. I'm rather disappointed that Hyperion hasn't learned anything from this, but at the same time it helps to hold more merit that I was correct in my assumption that all this "new" hardware from their partners is simply a hardware dongle. It's not about software piracy anymore. It's all about squeezing as much capital from their market as possible.

1.5 Ghz Powerbook = 289$ for the next seven minutes on Ebay.
Sam440 = 600$ (estimate - I'm too lazy to look up the actual price, but it's close)

"Branding" aside, you can see where I'm going with this.......
\'Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation.\' - Bruce Lee

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.\' - Dark Helmet :roflmao:

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

Offline pampers

• Show only replies by pampers
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2010, 12:40:57 AM »
koalla: who cares about ur moaning?

Offline SACC-guy

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2010, 08:46:38 AM »
I hope that means that the MorphOS team will consider showing at AmiWest2010.

Offline Andre.Siegel

• Show only replies by Andre.Siegel
    • http://www.power2people.org
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2010, 09:05:40 AM »
@ SACC-guy

None of the developers lives even close to Sacramento. In fact, they are all based in Europe. One was in the Anarctica for quite a while but getting from there to Sacramento would not have been any easier :)

Stefan Stuntz, who created MUI, is currently in the final stages of biking from Mexico to Canada. It appears that he will leave North America soon, however, so he will not be around long enough to make a "quick detour" to California in time for Amiwest I am afraid :-) (Plus, his US visa is getting close to be expired.)

Also, while AmiWest has a long tradition, which is certainly something to be proud of, in terms of visitors numbers there are many equally important or bigger events in Europe that are simply not advertized as much on amiga.org. For the costs of flying out developers to AmiWest, you can visit a whole series of European events and ultimately show MorphOS to more people.

If we are lucky, AmigaDave will attend again this year and bring his MorphOS hardware. That way, interested visitors will be able to play around with MorphOS itself which is probably the best advertising anyway.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 09:09:21 AM by Andre.Siegel »

Offline SACC-guy

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2010, 09:22:30 AM »
I understand. AmigaDave is very helpful and generous with his time and gear.
I got to meet him last year for a few minutes.

I feel that the morphOS team should consider "finding" some stronger way to address the US market. If AmiWest is the only show on the west coast...

Any and all vendors should be there in some way. IMHO

In my case, I lost track of MorphOS. But when my amigaone died and I still can't get it repaired.
I ran into morphOS 2.5 as as long as I had macs, I decided to try it.

But, the which works better...hit or miss? or outreach?
Cost effective maybe? If groups like SACC work hard to draw users to buy amiga stuff, shouldn't vendors?
If vendors don't excite users by outreach, users by nature move on.
Like me, My broken A1 has caused me to move on to other ppc hardware and software!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 09:43:01 AM by SACC-guy »

Offline cv643d

• Show only replies by cv643d
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2010, 10:45:58 AM »
I like how the Powerbook is such a nice compliment to MOS, both look very professional. Anyway, I made up my mind, I am going to cancel this eMac I was going to pick up today for 50e to wait for MOS3 for Powerbook :)

Thanks for the videos, keep them comming.
Amiga articles
"New shell. It was finished a while back, but I still see bugs, haha" - SSolie

Offline Andre.Siegel

• Show only replies by Andre.Siegel
    • http://www.power2people.org
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2010, 10:48:46 AM »
@ cv643d

It is going to be a long wait. Having an eMac around should make the waiting more enjoyable even if it just ran the MorphOS demo version.