Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Forum Moderation Techniques  (Read 15224 times)

Description:

Offline Argo

• Show only replies by Argo
Re: Forum Moderation Techniques
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2004, 03:28:29 PM »
Your post is just one post to you. To Wayne and the rest of the staff, it is one of many of the same. After awhile it gets kind of grating, irritating. Not that your doing something wrong, but it's like answering the same question every five minutes. It's a matter of perspective.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2004, 04:24:26 PM »

lempkee wrote:
well i didnt know it was locked even! , but i gave up on replying once the others started to TWIST everything said , making it look like pegasos 2 was 3 times cheaper than a1 and beeing far superior etc, i posted prices here in norway (RETAIL) showing its not even half the price and so on, too much FUD in that thread and it would have needed 20 or 30 amigaone users to put out the fire 10 pegasos people posted (or non pegasos people who just "WANT TO MAKE TROUBLE".

i am sort of glad it was stopped/locked but i am not very happy about the ways everything goes atm, amigaone users normally dont even attend such threads in general as they know what will happen, its a shame as it might make people choose the wrong solution due to FUD and bias.

my opinion anyway, and i dont think moderators here are too powerhungry but i do feel that they are biased from time to time, but i understand the problem for them also but i would love to see them stepping out and showing some interest and knowledge about the AMIGA OS instead of aros and mos all the time , we all know that they know it, they are moderators and they should be uptodate on everything, hence when they see trollbait they should eithe 1. EDIT IT , 2. remove it! or 3. (the worst one really) reply to it.

sorry for the harsh words but i am pretty confident that theese are things that needs to be looked into!.

cheers

There are plenty of AmigaOS posts!!! Certainly as many as there are MOS and AROS posts. There isn't going to be much traffic regarding OS4 yet for one reason, no users have had a chance to play with it yet.

You cannot blame the moderators for the content of this site,  you have to blame us, the users for the content, the moderators are jsut there to stop fights and keep it clean.

Offline TheMagicM

• Show only replies by TheMagicM
    • http://www.BartonekDragRacing.com
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2004, 04:29:25 PM »
It had nothing to do with power hunger (I locked the thread)....Banning/Locking someone from AO is a last resort in my book.  The thread had gone away from just comparing two machines to mud slinging.  Sorry if you dont agree but I get tired of it.  And yes, I do keep track of people that cause problems.   Locking threads is something that I'll do more often if needed..it seems as though I watch over children arguing about who in what company said this and that about another guy in a company?  WTH is that about?  

I'm more then willing to read about comparasins between a A1 and Pegasos as long as its about hardware/software and not just plain mud slinging.

lempkee:
I posted a price on the A1 (500 or 800) compared to a Peg, but that was in no way intended as a slam etc.  So dont take it to heart :)   I just could not remember off the top of my head what the price was at the time.  

Even though I am a Peg user, slamming a A1 user will not be tolerated and vice versa.

Thanks for your feedback  Brian!  If at any time you feel as though something is not right or needs improvement, by all means, ask a moderator or post up!  :-)

Alex
-TheMagicM
PowerMac G5 dual 2.0ghz/128meg Radeon/500gb HD/2GB RAM, MorphOS 3.9 registered, user #1900
Powerbook G4 5,6 1.67ghz/2gb RAM, Radeon 9700/250gb hd, MorphOS 3.9 registered #3143

Offline lempkee

• Show only replies by lempkee
    • http://www.amigaguru.com
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2004, 04:31:59 PM »
bloodline:Read my post again! , u clearly didnt get my point at all , it was AMIGA OS vs Morphos vs Aros.
Whats up with all the hate!

Offline TanZyr

• Show only replies by TanZyr
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2004, 04:40:34 PM »
@Argo and others,

"It's a matter of perspective."

Another point of perspective, and a little reality for the "bungled and the botched", is the FACT that the ability to post on this or any other Amiga forum is a PRIVILEDGE, not your RIGHT - there IS a difference... learn it, cattle. It is at the site admin's (and moderators') pleasure alone that we're able to gather here, via software running on THEIR property, utilizing THEIR bandwidth and storage space, and discuss everything relating to the Amiga.

Remember that the next time you cry about things here, on AmigaWorld, Moobunny, ANN, etc being "unfair" in relation to your self diluted sense of "rights": it's THEIR sandbox, play by their rules or YOU don't have to play in it at all - make your own.

:destroy:

TanZyr (who appreciates being given the priviledge)
Man will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most times he will pick himself up and carry on...
-- Winston Churchill...

Offline MarkTime

• Show only replies by MarkTime
    • http://www.tanooshka.com
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2004, 04:47:50 PM »
There has never been a web site in the entire history of the internet where moderation techniques have been used successfully to block out difficult or emotional posts, and we are left with only useful and informative posts.

And yet, we see this same mistake made repeatedly over and over again.

So then someone says 'do we need power hungry moderators.'

I know exactly why that statement is offensive to a moderator, and I don't wish to be that offensive.  Nevertheless, we have to traverse some tricky ground here...  the purpose of moderation as stated: to ensure only useful and productive  posts, has never been achieved and will never be achieved.  So what is the real purpose in moderation?  A display of power.  That is an accurate statement.

I don't have a particular issue with the moderation on this site, it seems usually to be fairly light, and not coming too often.   I don't think the moderators are power mad, they just use their power at times, in a response to the frustrations members are having about posts.  Unfortunately,  I think there is a misunderstanding amongst the membership about what moderation can and cannot do, and its the membership, constantly harassing the webmasters with complaints, that is the real problem.

Everyone, if you ever wrote a webmaster complaining that a thread was out of control --> you are the problem.

my 2 cents.

Offline Hooligan_DCS

• Show only replies by Hooligan_DCS
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2004, 04:55:43 PM »
I just read that thread. After the first couple/few pages, there was so little useful/accurate content that it is very unlikely that the original poster would have found it of any use. I didn't lock it, but I would have done.

Why you think you can decide what is helpful for someone and what is not? If this is really your honest opinion, better quit being a moderator as you really ain't got what it takes.

Offline Ryu

• Show only replies by Ryu
    • http://www.intuitionbase.com
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2004, 05:10:16 PM »
well if you read the thread you would see the majority of the latter postings werent answering the original question, so therefor they were off topic, so they either deserved to be removed or the thread locked... as it has already been stated removing posts always causes a lot of outcry so it was assumed better to lock the thread to stop other OT posts being made... weather or not you or anyone else things those OT replied were of any use to anyone is not the point. The reason for the locking was because the thread had become off topic... at least thats how I see things.
Yours
Darren aka Ryu
-----------------------------
www.IntuitionBase.com
My Amiga 1200 webserver

Offline lempkee

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2004, 05:19:08 PM »
i agree with hooligan here.

-

anyway:
there is a reason why i never applied for moderator privi. here on amiga.org , i am too biased to be one, i have no problems stating that i am an amiga fanatic and beeing that 100%.

people who is biased shouldnt be moderators, they should be in the middle and have "experiences/interest" within all subjects and be able to stop/start a discussion or put it on the correct track again.

i never said its an easy job, but i still expect the moderators to do it properly and correct!.

or? , maybe a moderator is too high on my LIST atm , i normally read moderator's post twice or so just as i expect them to have a point in what they are saying + helpfull information and so on.

damage controll is important and we have seen VERY little at that here on amiga.org lately , we see threads where aros is forced into without any meaning, just propaganda! (infact in any threads from pc to c64) , we do see pegasos people giving fud and we do see amigaone users spilling FUD aswell and so on, this is where the moderators should know better and jump in and FIX pronto!

we recently saw a rather sad post by wayne who said that trolls where taking over the DMZ forum, well they wouldnt have done this imho if moderators where abit more "INTO it" in the whole forum/news sections etc.

another thing is the "MAKE FUN of PHOTO's" in the photo albums , when did a moderator look in thoose threads last? , there is alot of INSULTS towards amiga.inc , towards david haynie etc.

really not a funny sight for the ones its about!

i encourage everyone posting all that crap there to edit it out before moderators see it! , but i do encourage the moderators to act fast and go trough it!.

good luck and keep in mind, i do like this site but there is alot of useless things popping up all the time without moderators dooing anything about it.

cheers

ps:sorry for rant , but i am sure i DO have a point!

Offline Hooligan_DCS

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2004, 05:25:21 PM »
I continue this much: I have no objection that the thread under discussion was locked, nor I have anything bad to say about the moderation so far.

That comment just made me rolling eyes as I am 100% behind free speech and free thinking. And the last I want, is somebody to think and tell whats best for ME.

Offline lempkee

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2004, 05:34:59 PM »
hooligan: indeed and this is where the line between MODERATORS and NORMAL users should be!

Offline lempkee

« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2004, 05:39:19 PM »
ryu:yes i know , but it wasnt off topic when i last visited it and by then your post was like 2-3 pages behind! , i just dug out the posts which i knew where fud (about price amigaone vs peg) and so on.

my point is that moderators should do what i tried to do and they should have done it much sooner, i know its hard but heh who said it was going to be easy to be an moderator? and i am pretty sure most of you moderators are busy looking after trolls in the DMZ etc.

cheers

Offline Ryu

• Show only replies by Ryu
    • http://www.intuitionbase.com
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2004, 05:48:35 PM »
I disagree lempkee, what you did was to become involved in the thread, something a moderator mustn't do, as soon as they do they are unable to properly moderate a thread because by then your own opinions take over....

On another note I see my names being dragged through the mud on another forum site... such is life I guess.
Yours
Darren aka Ryu
-----------------------------
www.IntuitionBase.com
My Amiga 1200 webserver

Offline mikeymike

• Show only replies by mikeymike
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2004, 05:53:43 PM »

Hooligan_DCS wrote:
I just read that thread. After the first couple/few pages, there was so little useful/accurate content that it is very unlikely that the original poster would have found it of any use. I didn't lock it, but I would have done.

Why you think you can decide what is helpful for someone and what is not? If this is really your honest opinion, better quit being a moderator as you really ain't got what it takes.

Yeah, thanks...

I think I can decide what is helpful for someone or not when mud is just being slung for three pages on end.  If you think that would be useful to anyone, why don't you take up moderating elsewhere and see how well your ideas on the subject do for you.  I'll continue to trust my judgement and liase with the other AO staff.

And anyway, it would hardly be the end of the world, if I locked a thread, and the original poster requested that I unlock it because they were finding the discussion useful!

Offline lempkee

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2004, 06:04:42 PM »
ryu:if posting the truth is getting involved , hell then i dont see why we have moderators, if i hadnt interveined then the guys who have no clue whould have belived that the pegasos was 3 times cheaper than the amigaone in retail.

and so on..

moderators should jump in and solve problems like this, as its infact damage controll , we see moderators do this on their "fields" why wont they do it on other fields?

Offline Hooligan_DCS

« Reply #29 from previous page: February 03, 2004, 06:08:36 PM »
Yeah, thanks...

I think I can decide what is helpful for someone or not when mud is just being slung for three pages on end. If you think that would be useful to anyone, why don't you take up moderating elsewhere and see how well your ideas on the subject do for you. I'll continue to trust my judgement and liase with the other AO staff.

And anyway, it would hardly be the end of the world, if I locked a thread, and the original poster requested that I unlock it because they were finding the discussion useful!

I am not talking about that thread so could you forget it aswell. Couldn't care less about its destiny and it was ok it got locked.

no, you really can't decide what is helpfull for me.. unless of course you are a psychic.