Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Music on me 1200  (Read 4844 times)

Description:

Offline Oliver

• Show only replies by Oliver
Re: Music on me 1200
« Reply #29 from previous page: August 06, 2008, 11:20:16 AM »
@Wilse

I did the same thing at about the same time. Actually, I bought or tried demos of just about every Amiga sequencer I could find. Music-X just clicked for me, with very little effort. That's why I suggested trying a few different programs, and see what suits.

These days I mostly use Energy-XT. It has some problems, but it is affordable, and also suits the way I work.

I think there are so many available now, many with free or demo versions, it is really worth at least having a play with some Windows/Mac/Linux based environments.

@mikrucio
Do you think there is any room for old school Amiga sounds in contemporary music? I would never consider mastering on Amiga, but I think there could at least potentially be an application for use in sound generation.

The last time this kind of thread popped up here, one member mentioned a bunch of Amiga sound generators which had never heard of. I checked out some samples of his music and was quite impressed with the sound design, although the music was really a bit dark for my tastes. Of course I couldn't determine the origins of each sound, and I also can't remember his username.

These days I still use one old DOS based softsynth, AXS 2.03+, by Newstyle/Resolution Audio. I have it running on an old P2 (or 3?), using the SPDIF out of an AWE64 Gold, with the computer basically configured as a MIDI controlled sound module. I still find it useful, and all the software and hardware cost only a few dollars in total. Hmm, I still want to set up a C=64 MSSIAH system, but that's mainly just to feed my retro-lust.

By the way, what do you do with music professionally? Are you in the audio engineering side of things? I just love music as a hobby, but don't actually end up spending a lot of time playing/composing these days. I'm still trying to put together a budget (lots of DIY gear) home studio that I feel satisfied with working in.

Cheers,

Oli
Good good study, day day up!

Offline bazza1975Topic starter

• Show only replies by bazza1975
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2008, 07:47:33 PM »
Pity, i thought the good old amiga was the way to go to make early dance stuff sort of like PSB type music
There was me boasting about the potential it had.. So iwould be much beter using my laptop then.. :-(
Anyone had some experience with fl studio?

Offline TheGoose

• Show only replies by TheGoose
    • http://www.amiga.org/forums/blog.php?u=827
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2008, 08:08:07 PM »
Well I guess it could be, right? Not really into that kind of music. But to the question is SS any good for it composing features and the Paula sound, I say yes.

@Cubase LE - This is precisly why I still like Amiga & SS. That stuff is crap. Skips. Crashes. Complex. Maybe when the 8 core super pooper with a terabyte of memory comes out a winblows machine will work with music.

Outside of that rant, I just like the simplicity and directness of tracker composition. A wall of buttons does not make me feel 'creative'. And there's a challenge in making something cool with limited resources and fidelity.

G1200, A3000D, A1200 PPC AOS4.0C

I\'m on Google +

Offline Oliver

« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2008, 01:48:46 AM »
bazza1975 wrote:
Pity, i thought the good old amiga was the way to go to make early dance stuff sort of like PSB type music
There was me boasting about the potential it had.. So iwould be much beter using my laptop then.. :-(
Anyone had some experience with fl studio?

I think you will find that the sounds of most early dance music came from instruments, rather than computers. Amigas have been used quite a bit for sequencing those instruments, as have Ataris (Atari had a built in MIDI port, with good timing), Macs, and Windows machines.

These days, if you want to do music primarily using a computer, a modern machine has a lot more to offer than the old hardware. A lot of dance musicians these days are using mainly a computer, plus one control keyboard. The control keyboard will often be MIDI based, but sometimes just with a proprietary USB interface and driver. There are so many well featured audio software tools/instruments, that many people do not want to touch hardware synths at all. I still love my hardware synths though, and real analogue synthesis still has a place for me.

I have used FL Studio, and liked it. I found it quite easy to get started with. The full package comes with a very handy sample library as well. The current versions are pretty much a fully featured composition suite, unlike the early versions of FruityLoops. Some people claim that the mastering does not sound as good as Logic or Cubase. I'm not sure how that would be, as FL uses a lot of the same plug ins. It also seems that Logic and ProTools have a bit better reputation amongst audio professionals than FL. Personally, I think FL is fine, and also offers decent value for money. The forum community also seems pretty good, and active.

Offline detz

• Show only replies by detz
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2008, 04:39:44 AM »
I still use Octamed SS for all my sequencing, much to the confusion of all my friends who make music, controlling various samplers and synths and I love it.

To check out what I do go to www.myspace.com/4teenth

and have a listen...

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2008, 04:59:37 AM »

detz wrote:
I still use Octamed SS for all my sequencing, much to the confusion of all my friends who make music, controlling various samplers and synths and I love it.

and have a listen...

dude you got some wicked stuff there :-D
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline Oliver

« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2008, 05:24:36 AM »
klx300r wrote:
dude you got some wicked stuff there :-D

Ditto. Me likes it.

Is your jaz stuff coming from your band members playing instruments, or is it sample/synth based? I guess it has been re-worked in your SS sequencing anyway.

So, is SS just an easy way for you to work? Are you using PC SS or miggy?

Offline detz

• Show only replies by detz
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2008, 03:22:24 PM »
All the tracks up there are pretty much sample based, stuff from records found in charity shops, recorded into an Akai S5000, chopped up as I need. That said I do have a track on the CD that has my friend JB playing cello. Alongside that I also have various synths and outboard gear.

I use the amiga version of OctamedSS, by via UAE on a PC. As to the reasons why, I dunno, I guess it's what I'm used to, and yeah I do find it a very quick way to put together what I do. It is very complex initially, and you have to really *want* to do various things as opposed to the ease on newer programs where you can click a button to get some effect, but once I've got a block with all the ideas in, all the parts running together, I find it's quite quick from there on in to play around muting the tracks, to get an idea of an arrangement, and then make all the blocks and sequence them together.

I love my hardware and I'm not about to give that up to start using softsynths, plus believe it or not I can chop a sample up on the Akai quicker than I can in Soundforge (But recycle can come in handy, mind you...)

Offline bazza1975Topic starter

• Show only replies by bazza1975
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2008, 04:20:54 PM »
Very nice tunes :-)

What does the SS stand for in the octamed?

You run it through a pc emulator, UAE???

Whats an Akai S5000 exactly??

cheers Baz

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2008, 04:30:35 PM »

bazza1975 wrote:
Very nice tunes :-)

What does the SS stand for in the octamed?

Sound Studio

You run it through a pc emulator, UAE???

I certainly do...

Whats an Akai S5000 exactly??

An old Hardware Sampler. GOOGLE IS YOUR FRIEND! :roll:

Offline Wilse

« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2008, 05:08:47 PM »

detz wrote:

and have a listen...

Some really nice music there, squire.  

I've sent you a 'friend' request.