Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Music on me 1200  (Read 4845 times)

Description:

Offline bazza1975Topic starter

• Show only replies by bazza1975
Re: Music on me 1200
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2008, 10:50:29 PM »
Ok thanks, will buy it then :-)

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2008, 07:32:33 PM »
Hi folks,

Waiting for octamed to arrive.. i have purchased a pcmcia cf-card kit, the card is 1GB. The HD in my amiga is only 80mb,  very small,, i take it i wont be able to install on the HD? Can i install it on the cd-card?? Or will i need to install a bigger HD....

cheers Baz

Offline TheGoose

• Show only replies by TheGoose
    • http://www.amiga.org/forums/blog.php?u=827
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2008, 08:51:37 PM »
Well that's plenty of space either way. You might just keep the HD if it is working well. Use the CF in your PCMCIA SLOT instead (a cheap adapter needed for that).

Amiga programs are typically pretty small compared to todays computing. Octamed comes on just 2 floppies , back in the day. That's less than 2MB if they were completely filled.

In fact bazza1975, If you are just getting into the Amiga hardware - I recommend stick with the HD.

Oh, and Octamed is completely hard drive installable, no problems.

But 'sounds' like you're on your way

:-D
G1200, A3000D, A1200 PPC AOS4.0C

I\'m on Google +

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2008, 06:32:47 PM »
Hi,

My octamed arrived today, so i can finally get started BUT,, seeing i have no cdrom in the amiga i was going to use my pcmcia-cf card to transfer the data on the cd from the pc to the amiga.... but how do i transfer everything, all 650mb! seeing i can't copy and paste.. would have been too easy :roll:

Anybody an idea?

Offline Varthall

• Show only replies by Varthall
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2008, 10:06:21 PM »
Note that the last released version of Octamed is legally available on Aminet:

Octamed Soundstudio

Soundstudio is good for 8 bit tracking, on 16 bits it's trickier to use since its remixer has a limitation of 3-4 volume values, which can't even be easily determined. For 16 bits I'd recommend DigiboosterPro, which is commercial.

Varthall
AmigaOne XE - AmigaOS 4.1 - Freescale 7457 1GHz - 1GB ram
MPlayer for OS4: https://sourceforge.net/projects/mplayer-amigaos/

Offline Oliver

• Show only replies by Oliver
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2008, 03:21:21 AM »
Hi,

I used to write music a lot with my A1200. I used it as a MIDI seqencer almost entirely, with very little sample playback. A lot of people who do tracker sequencing use mostly samples. You probably are very familiar with the Amiga sounds, so know what to expect from working with samples. It is a retro lo-fi kind of sound.

I used a program called Music-X 2.0. I liked the MIDI sequencing on this. It felt untuitive for me. I tried just about every sequencer that was ever released for Amiga. Unfortunately, Music-X was never released as a freeby, unlike BarsNPipes or Octamed. Music-X also does not provide easy access to multiple MIDI banks (basically, 16 MIDI channels, though it can do more with the right hardware/drivers). BarsNPipes has an open source 3 bank MIDI interface (3x16=48 channels).

I think it is worth trying a few different programs, before really focussing on just one, and investing a lot of effort into a particular way of working.

There are also some dedicated sound generators/software synths for Amiga. Some of these are pretty decent, and in my opinion, really take good advantage of what the Amiga can offer to contemporary music production. If you like gritty, retro, game like, or lo-fi. This kind of sound character is often used in music.

I also think it is worth understanding what you will not get from music production with an Amiga. Modern computer music production has a lot to offer in terms of usability, versatility, community support, commercial support, sound fidelity, attractive interface, cheap and reliable hardware, expandability etc. You can of course use an Amiga as part of a modern studio setup, along with other computer tools.

What exactly are you looking to do with your music? Is your focus on writing finished pieces of music, or are you mainly just wanting to play around with the Amiga?
Good good study, day day up!

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2008, 06:42:56 AM »
OctaMed Soundstudio 1.03c which is the latest version for the Amiag before they went peecee is available for free download once you register on the OctaMed forumns..cant remember the linky but just google it  ;-)
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline Oliver

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2008, 08:14:50 AM »
klx300r wrote:
OctaMed Soundstudio 1.03c which is the latest version for the Amiag before they went peecee is available for free download once you register on the OctaMed forumns..cant remember the linky but just google it  ;-)

Answered before:

Varthall wrote:
Note that the last released version of Octamed is legally available on Aminet:

Octamed Soundstudio

Soundstudio is good for 8 bit tracking, on 16 bits it's trickier to use since its remixer has a limitation of 3-4 volume values, which can't even be easily determined. For 16 bits I'd recommend DigiboosterPro, which is commercial.

Varthall

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2008, 03:05:28 PM »
@ Oliver
I think the version on aminet is not the latest which is why I   added my post :idea:
sometimes there are reasons for my insanity ;-)
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline Oliver

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2008, 04:55:44 PM »

klx300r wrote:
@ Oliver
I think the version on aminet is not the latest which is why I   added my post :idea:
sometimes there are reasons for my insanity ;-)

Oh, sorry mate; I thought you may have just missed that post.

The version on Aminet is 1.03c, the latest finished release, which has been termed 'freeware' by the copyright holders.

At their website, there is the link to sign up for the mailing list and (officially) the right to download the freeware 1.03c version.

Anyway, if the OP would like to try this famous tracker, it is available at no cost.

Personally, I think it is a really good program, but it never suited my way of working. It has had quite a following though.

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2008, 07:22:08 PM »
@ Oliver  2008/8/5 4:21

I was hoping to make dance tunes on it, also some ambient stuff. I thought lots of all early dance stuff was madw with the help of amiga's... guess i was wrong :-(

Offline Wilse

« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2008, 10:01:47 PM »

bazza1975 wrote:
@ Oliver  2008/8/5 4:21

I was hoping to make dance tunes on it, also some ambient stuff. I thought lots of all early dance stuff was madw with the help of amiga's... guess i was wrong :-(

Some was but I think you may be confusing Amiga with (whisper it) Atari?
-EDIT-
The song called 'Soap", on This Page was created entirely with Samples on OctaMED.
The one called 'Euphonia' initially was, then vocals and guitars were added, along with some Bassstation, which was controlled via OctaMED's MIDI.

Most of the rest started out as OctaMED songs too.

For the record, my A1200 with OctaMED SS 1.03c is (almost) integrated into my Logic/Mac set up.
Haven't explored that avenue properly yet, though.

Offline Oliver

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2008, 04:55:02 AM »
@bazza1975

I used to use my A1200 for writing dance and ambient tunes. I didn't use the Amiga audio much though.

At that time, the Amiga had comparatively very well featured, affordable, and user friendly sequencing software, which I used for programming my MIDI instruments.

I still find Music-X 2.0 to be have a very intuitive interface for the way I like to work. It's a personal preference though.

I used Amiga audio only to supplement my music, as I couldn't afford a sampler, and there were some soft synths which I really liked. I used TB-303 type sounds a fair bit, and there is a really gritty lo-fi 303 sound generator for Amiga which I liked. I believe it is freely available (probably on aminet).

There were a couple of guys in Perth who used entirely 8 bit Amiga samples for their music, which they played a fair bit at some underground raves (back when we had real raves). I think they managed to get some pretty decent results, though that was never really thing.

The reasons I stopped using Amiga for my music were:
-I couldn't use Amiga for my daily computing needs, and didn't want an extra machine on my desk
-The user interface for Music-X is ugly and lo res, and not upgradable for any price
-I found PC sequencing software which I like using
-PC has more versatile and affordable audio options
-Some modern MIDI equipment is not strictly satandards compliant, which causes compatibility problems with the Amiga platform (this can be corrected using MIDI data filters, but I would rather not have to)
-My old hardware was becomming a little unreliable, and Amiga gear is still rather expensive on the upkeep

I believe there are still some other forum members, who haven't yet commented in this thread, who use Amiga based sound generation, including quite a few programs I've never tried. I've heard some of their music, and was quite impressed. Sorry I can't remember any details right now, but if you search past threads for music related topics, you come up with some good pointers. I think there are still good applications for an Amiga in music, though it just doesn't suit me anymore.

Hope that helps, and sorry if I have discouraged you.

Offline mikrucio

• Party Mix \'87
    • Show only replies by mikrucio
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2008, 07:33:07 AM »
Why oh why oh why would you want to?

it's 8bit. it sounds good for 8bit, but it's 8bit.
sure you can control some external gear but you still need to record it.

Your limited in RAM.

I started on pro-tracker YEARS ago. it was fun I learnt alot.I moved on.

The only serious app that showed any promise on the amiga was Camouflage. but that was never finished.

Do yourself a favour, ANY PC based sequencer software is better than the old amiga ones. Save yourself the headache.

you can pick up a legit version of Cubase LE for like $10!

:roll:

Dont want to start flame wars about amiga this or amiga that. The Amiga is still my all time favourite computer.
But im a professional musican and producer. There is no way I could do the things i do now on an amiga. NO WAY.

Offline Wilse

« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2008, 08:43:10 AM »
@Oliver:

I bought a boxed copy of MusicX back in 1994(ish) - I still have it.
Unfortunately I never really got my head around it.

Offline Oliver

« Reply #29 from previous page: August 06, 2008, 11:20:16 AM »
@Wilse

I did the same thing at about the same time. Actually, I bought or tried demos of just about every Amiga sequencer I could find. Music-X just clicked for me, with very little effort. That's why I suggested trying a few different programs, and see what suits.

These days I mostly use Energy-XT. It has some problems, but it is affordable, and also suits the way I work.

I think there are so many available now, many with free or demo versions, it is really worth at least having a play with some Windows/Mac/Linux based environments.

@mikrucio
Do you think there is any room for old school Amiga sounds in contemporary music? I would never consider mastering on Amiga, but I think there could at least potentially be an application for use in sound generation.

The last time this kind of thread popped up here, one member mentioned a bunch of Amiga sound generators which had never heard of. I checked out some samples of his music and was quite impressed with the sound design, although the music was really a bit dark for my tastes. Of course I couldn't determine the origins of each sound, and I also can't remember his username.

These days I still use one old DOS based softsynth, AXS 2.03+, by Newstyle/Resolution Audio. I have it running on an old P2 (or 3?), using the SPDIF out of an AWE64 Gold, with the computer basically configured as a MIDI controlled sound module. I still find it useful, and all the software and hardware cost only a few dollars in total. Hmm, I still want to set up a C=64 MSSIAH system, but that's mainly just to feed my retro-lust.

By the way, what do you do with music professionally? Are you in the audio engineering side of things? I just love music as a hobby, but don't actually end up spending a lot of time playing/composing these days. I'm still trying to put together a budget (lots of DIY gear) home studio that I feel satisfied with working in.

Cheers,

Oli