Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Team Amiga Reaction to the Bernithlon Situation  (Read 5100 times)

Description:

Offline jumpship

• Show only replies by jumpship
    • http://onlyamiga.kicks-ass.net
Re: Team Amiga Reaction to the Bernithlon Situation
« Reply #29 from previous page: December 05, 2002, 09:00:03 AM »

Marky_D_Sahd wrote:
I will boycott H&P (BTW boycotts are ALWAYS legal.  There is no such animal as an "Illegal" boycott.  As long as people are free to choose to buy a product, they will be free to choose to NOT buy that product.  Right?)

However, I don't think that boycotting Compuquick or S.Hut is a positive step.  Surely if we all successfully boycott H&P products, the problem will take care of itself:  The distributers will stop carying them.

Boycotts, like all protests, however, cause damage.  Boycotting the last few Amiga distributors seems like too much damage, to me.  Buying AMINET SET XXVII from Software Hut does not help to support H&P, but does help support the "good guys".

So, yeah, e-mail the distributors with your concerns, boycott H&P products, but DON'T shoot the bystanders.

I agree with you! It isn't the vendors fault that they are caught up in the cross fire. All that needs to happen is a complete boycot of H&P products. If you don't agree with a vendor selling Amithlon, fine don't buy it! But there is no reason to boycot the vendor because if it, otherwise you will just put them out of buisness, and that does no good for anyone.

Offline jumpship

• Show only replies by jumpship
    • http://onlyamiga.kicks-ass.net
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2002, 09:02:17 AM »
Just who are "Team AMIGA" anyway?

Offline Damion

« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2002, 09:04:29 AM »
I agree; DON'T shoot the bystanders...shoot
some pool instead! :-) Or if your not
feeling well, shoot some salad!:-o
Or "...don't shoot yourself in the  foot!"
Or billiards for the UK chaps!

OK, bed time for me now.

Offline J

• Show only replies by J
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2002, 09:12:42 AM »
Okay, here goes:

The Flag: Not one to normally defend the Germans (They bombed our Chippie  :-D  - sorry UK joke), if it was an English or GB flag I'd have felt a bit annoyed. I think most people know who they mean tho.

H&P: IMO, Pirates. I will never buy fom them. I think people should boycott them, tell them why you're boycotting.

Other Vendors: Should NOT be boycotted. Perhaps a message asking if they would send their Amilhlon CD's back to H&P.

Cheers,

J

Offline Crispy_Beef

• Show only replies by Crispy_Beef
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2002, 10:19:05 AM »
What a complete bag-o-shyte.  The situation that is.

On trying to give a neutral opinion (which is quite hard), I think it would be wrong to boycott the resellers and dealers that have worked hard, and have remained in the Amiga market for this long.  Even Haage & Partner have done some nice stuff - ArtEffect, OS Upgrades etc. - but I think they have well and truly overstepped the mark on this one.

I agree with the others that have gone before me in saying that if anything should be targetted by a boycott then it's H&P's products, which would hopefully send the message that this kind of behaviour is not acceptable.

I don't use Amithlon, but from what I have read and seen it looks like a damn good product, and can only result in more users gaining an Amiga experience and perhaps staying in the community (i.e. growth).  BM deserves to be rewarded for his excellent work.

What I find odd is why Bernie can't continue to sell his product?  I am not up on law so forgive me here.  The issue is over H&P violating Amiga's IP, so wouldn't it be possible for Amiga Inc. to issue a seperate licence to Bernie so that he could continue with his work (Amithlon), and distribute through alternative channels?  After all the issue is with H&P selling an illegal version of the product.

So to clarify, why can't Amiga and Bernie get together and cut out the middle man?

As a quick note on the Team AMIGA posting.  I must admit that I cringed when I first saw it.  Whoever heard of the "miggy pyramid" before?  A lot of it reads like a rant and was put together in 5 minutes.  It would be a lot better IMO if the author sat down and came up with a well worded and calm statement, currently it makes them look quite unprofessional.  When you do cut through the noise though, there are some very valid points there.

As for the flag, I'm not  going into that, suffice to say I don't think there is any need as flag or not we all know who they are referring to.

Anyway, that's my take on the situation.  I hope something can be worked out for Bernie's and the Amiga Markets sake.
-- Crispy

Offline Stimpzilla

• Show only replies by Stimpzilla
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2002, 10:29:58 AM »
@Crispy

Can I just chip in and say it's damn good to see that there are still a few level heads here, in amongst all this pointless system-X-is-better-than-system-Y.

Hear hear!

Stimpzilla
=======
What rolls down stairs,
alone or in pairs,
Rolls over your neighbours\\\' dog?
What fits on your back,
and it\\\'s great for a snack,
it\\\'s Log! Log! Log!

Lo-og, Lo-og
Its big! It\\\'s Heavy! It\\\'s Wood!
Lo-og, Lo-og
It\\\'s better than bad - It\\\'s Good!

Offline Crispy_Beef

« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2002, 10:55:42 AM »
@Stimpzilla

Cheers mate.  I mostly lurk in here these days, as I can't be bothered to get involved in all the bickering.  Hopefully soon enough we'll all have new toys to play with and none of this will matter.  :-)
-- Crispy

Offline Stimpzilla

• Show only replies by Stimpzilla
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2002, 11:15:34 AM »
@Crispy_Beef

S'Okay. Of course, it could be said that none of this should matter anyway...

Here's to new toys, and may they do what you want of them, pure and simple :pint:

Stimpzilla
========
What rolls down stairs,
alone or in pairs,
Rolls over your neighbours\\\' dog?
What fits on your back,
and it\\\'s great for a snack,
it\\\'s Log! Log! Log!

Lo-og, Lo-og
Its big! It\\\'s Heavy! It\\\'s Wood!
Lo-og, Lo-og
It\\\'s better than bad - It\\\'s Good!

Offline Crispy_Beef

« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2002, 01:04:00 PM »
Here's to new toys, and may they do what you want of them, pure and simple  :pint:

I'll drink to that... :pint:
-- Crispy

Offline Skyraker

• Show only replies by Skyraker
    • http://www.wolves.co.uk
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2002, 01:18:37 PM »
@mountainmyst

It's the same thing I've been saying for a week now

not exactly, you went off on one and mailed all the distributers... team amiga (whoever they are) are simply requesting people not to buy or use amithlon and send hate mail to H&P.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
I have the body of an 18 year old ......... I keep it in the fridge.

Offline Skyraker

« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2002, 01:23:31 PM »
Going on about the German flag is political correct bollocks..... anyway.. two world wars and one world cup. doo da doo da..

« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2002, 01:32:21 PM »
A reaction to Team OS/2.

Basically it started out as comp.sys.amiga.advocacy cheerleaders and now it is just a stale talking shop.

I couldn't find a better illustration of Team Amigas irrelevancy in these times that this.

« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2002, 01:37:42 PM »

Going on about the German flag is political correct bollocks..... anyway.. two world wars and one world cup. doo da doo da..

Ah yes, here we see a specimin of the British social underclass known as insensitive clueless arse scratching Top Gear reading petrol headed tits-out-fer-lads nationalistic chip on shoulder no score draw lout.

:-x

Offline Skyraker

« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2002, 01:40:13 PM »
@Blade

Ah yes, here we see a specimin of the British social underclass known as insensitive clueless arse scratching Top Gear reading petrol headed tits-out-fer-lads nationalistic chip on shoulder no score draw lout.

Heh thanks man, that means alot to me... ;)

Offline Desmon

• Show only replies by Desmon
« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2002, 09:08:07 AM »
@Blade

A reaction to Team OS/2.

Yes.

Basically it started out as comp.sys.amiga.advocacy cheerleaders and now it is just a stale talking shop.

Not quite. It was started in Fidonet AMIGA by Rick Lembree, sysop of Harbor Lights BBS.
I'll agree that it's now a stale talking shop.
Rick died some months later and the mantle was taken up by Asha Develder and Gary Peake. When Gary moved to Seattle to start work for Amiga.com he passed the coordinator job on to Skal Loret. AFAIK Gary still owns the owlnet.net domain name.

I couldn't find a better illustration of Team Amigas irrelevancy in these times that this.

Agreed.
Cache Ya,
Craig.

Busy playing with my Trainz and loving it!