Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Did we all just witness Windows start to die?  (Read 10493 times)

Description:

Offline ashtontrist

• Show only replies by ashtontrist
    • http://www.fashiongames247.com/
Re: Did we all just witness Windows start to die?
« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2013, 12:33:06 PM »
I dont think Windows is dying. However a lot of things need to be changed. For example if you have used all OS from XP to Win8, You will find there isnt much difference anywhere. So it really that upgraded. In Win8 the only feature they have added is that the welcome page looks somewhat like a android mobile..

Offline djos

• Show only replies by djos
    • http://users.adam.com.au/djorlc/
« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2013, 12:48:22 PM »
XP to Win8, mate I started with dos 2.1 !!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Amiga 1200 w/ ACA1220 16Mhz 128MB w/ RTC, 4GB CF-HDD, Roland MT-32 MIDI Synthesiser
Amiga 500 w/ KS2.05, 1Mb Chip-Ram, CF-IDE w/4MB Fast-Ram, FDD Boot Selector, HxC RevC Floppy emulator
Commodore 64 w/ 1541 Ultimate-II inc Tape Adapter, JiffyDOS, 1541 Disk Drive, 1531 Datasette, Flyer Net Modem

Offline motrucker

« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2013, 01:10:24 PM »
This garbage that the tablet is taking over is just that, garbage. HP has said they are not going to make ANY desktop pcs from now on - only tablets. Yet another great business decision from HP.
MS has severely shot them selves in the foot with Windows 8.
I love my Amiga as much as anyone here, but I also have learned to get along with Windows (XP through 7 with Vista my current choice) and a nice big pc tower - still the best game machine in town!
A2000 GVP 40MHz \'030, 21Mb RAM SD/FF, 2 floppies, internal CD-ROM drive, micromys v3 w/laser mouse
A1000 Microbotics Starboard II w/2Mb 1080, & external floppy (AIRdrive)
C-128 w/1571, 1750, & Final Cartridge III+

Offline som99

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by som99
    • http://www.som99.se
« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2013, 01:24:20 PM »
Quote from: djos;741981
XP to Win8, mate I started with dos 2.1 !!!

Same here, still got my Commodore PC 20-II with 10" monochrome display,  it came with dos 2.1 but I later installed Windows 2.0,

Offline NovaCoder

« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2013, 01:29:50 PM »
PC sales are in decline, have been for some time now, the figures are out there and it doesn't look pretty.   Windows as a desktop platform is therefore also 'dying', Windows on mobiles/tablets is a different creature.

As Intel’s PC processor division sees significant declines, the company has predicted that tablet computers could reach price points as low as $150 (£98) by this year’s holiday season.

PC Sales slump continues

:)
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2013, 01:58:30 PM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;741839
ZDNet is such tripe.  Every week they publish some new article "death of this or that!!" (I'm looking at you, Ed Bott and SJVN!)  it's just loud-mouthed commentary and opinion pieces to bring in advertising dollars and drum up arguments from the same bunch of commenting jackasses, not real tech news.  I'll normally pass on reading anything there, although if Big Dave is commenting it might be worth a look...

+1.  I think we can tell who's readership is dying. A PC is a personal computer. A Tablet is a form factor. But as we know sales and foot print are two separate things.

IMO Win 8 on a touch screen device is great(if hybrid). If people bothered to use an MS account to log on and learn the simple touch screen gestures they'd actually "get it". I get frustrated on my Work Win7 laptop now when I touch the screen and nothing happens. I also find it a little frustrating on my Win8 non-touch main PC. But what I find especially interesting is that when Microsoft release something new they get bagged for changing something that didn't need changing.  When they don't change they get bagged for not being innovative.  Bit of the Bart Simpson syndrome there.
It strikes me that so called "technologists" can be the most conservative of people.

Just as a side note.  iPad sales have "fallen" 14% this qtr compared to last year. Is that the death knell of the iPad?  I think not.  But the news for PC sales is that they've "slumped" 10%.  Note the "language" difference. Enjoy the tech media ride!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 02:22:21 PM by gertsy »

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #50 on: July 24, 2013, 03:40:07 PM »
And the ribbon in Word/Excel etc is even harder to use on a touch screen than it is on a non-touch screen.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2013, 06:17:00 PM »
You also have to take many of those "slump" numbers with a grain of salt.

Some statistics firms, for instance - will list a Windows RT or Pro tablet as a PC in the numbers, but an iPad or Android tablet is classed as a tablet.  A Windows RT tablet is in no way a "computer", lol.  It's barely a tablet.  Traditional PC sales *are* declining, but I am more inclined to think that people simply aren't buying/replacing machines as often as they used to.  The technology has slowed down.  I used to build a new gaming PC every XMas.  I now do it every 2-3 years, as there's simply no logic in spending many thousands of dollars for what will get me 10% FPS in games between the two difering older/newer machines.

+1 to the words about ZDNet.  I used to really enjoy visiting their site, but the place has gotten extremely "click whorish" lately where stories are puffed up as propaganda pieces solely for the purposes of driving traffic while containing no real meat to the article.  I prefer The Verge these days - while not perfect, there's a lot less doomsaying going on there.

I feel the press often doesn't get the bigger picture.  Most people do not ever buy a tablet to replace a full fledged PC.  I own both an iPad and an Android device, and the thought of tossing out my $5000 gaming PC and using the tablets solely is ludicrous.  Not doable.  I am a computer enthusiast working in the trade, and a tablet will never replace my PC.

For a segment of the market, it is doable.  My mother, for example - has had a Mac since 2009 or so.  Used to do everything on it.  Got her an iPad last year and she rarely touches the Mac anymore.  About the only time she uses it is when she types up/prints recipes or Christmas cards and the like.

That being said, her needs are *extremely* limited.  Her computing requirements generally consist of nothing more than checking Facebook, her Hotmail email, and playing those goofy Popcap games like Bejewelled.  Tablet is purpose built for people like that, IMO.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #52 on: July 24, 2013, 06:28:32 PM »
Quote from: persia;742014
And the ribbon in Word/Excel etc is even harder to use on a touch screen than it is on a non-touch screen.

The ribbon interface is the epitome of horrific, terrible, badly thought out design. I wish death upon the person who thought it up, and their families. There is much hate here.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #53 on: July 24, 2013, 06:30:04 PM »
Just in case no one got it, I really hate the Ribbon Interface!!!!!!!!

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #54 on: July 24, 2013, 06:38:41 PM »
Quote from: persia;741961
I look forward to websites dedicated to PC believers.  Maybe a red (Windows 8) versus blue (Windows 7) camps, both demanding new hardware for their aging OSs as the world moves on largely oblivious to them.
I like how you're no longer even pretending to make an argument, just snidely insisting that This Is How It Will Be because blind faith in the predictions of a bunch of tablet zealots. Don't stop believin', man! Hold on to that feelin'!

Quote from: motrucker;741984
This garbage that the tablet is taking over is  just that, garbage. HP has said they are not going to make ANY desktop  pcs from now on - only tablets. Yet another great business decision from  HP.
Wait, I thought they went back on that? (Because, you know, it was a stupid decision intended to "look decisive" by their CEO-of-the-month?) Or did they change their mind again?

Quote from: gertsy;741991
Just as a side note.  iPad sales have "fallen" 14%  this qtr compared to last year. Is that the death knell of the iPad?  I  think not.  But the news for PC sales is that they've "slumped" 10%.   Note the "language" difference. Enjoy the tech media ride!
Quote from: Duce;742037
Traditional PC sales *are* declining, but I am  more inclined to think that people simply aren't buying/replacing  machines as often as they used to.  The technology has slowed down.  I  used to build a new gaming PC every XMas.  I now do it every 2-3 years,  as there's simply no logic in spending many thousands of dollars for  what will get me 10% FPS in games between the two difering older/newer  machines.
Exactly. There's no evidence that PCs are being used less, just  bought less (and even that's being played way the hell up.) But  that doesn't fit with the death-of-the-PC narrative tablet zealots want  to create, so it can't be the case!

Quote from: bloodline;742042
The ribbon interface is the epitome of horrific,  terrible, badly thought out design. I wish death upon the person who  thought it up, and their families. There is much hate here.
Amen.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline psxphill

« Reply #55 on: July 24, 2013, 08:26:58 PM »
Quote from: Duce;742037
Some statistics firms, for instance - will list a Windows RT or Pro tablet as a PC in the numbers, but an iPad or Android tablet is classed as a tablet. A Windows RT tablet is in no way a "computer", lol. It's barely a tablet. Traditional PC sales *are* declining, but I am more inclined to think that people simply aren't buying/replacing machines as often as they used to.

Yeah the take up rate of Tablets and the slow down in growth of PC's are mostly independent. It's like trying to draw conclusions from the difference in sales of washing powder and potato chips.

Windows 8 & especially 8.1 is actually really good if you try it. I wouldn't go back to Windows 7 now. I remember going from Windows 3.1 to OS/2 Warp and it was good, but then Windows 95 was much better. Some people still love OS/2 Warp, but I prefer better functionality & better performance (even if that means learning something new).

It is annoying that Windows RT is locked down, because it is basically a full operating system. There is a jailbreak for it, but it's not permanent (it's not a major problem to redo it after each reboot but it is an annoyance).

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #56 on: July 24, 2013, 08:44:31 PM »
@psxphill, tablets and desktops are both computers, one is declining in sales numbers, one is increasing in sales numbers.  Yeah, it could be coincidence, and the nay sayers could be right the two aren't related.  But more often than not if you have two similar things and one is going up and the other down there is a link...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline Acill

« Reply #57 on: July 24, 2013, 09:07:09 PM »
I now work for Intel and if the PC is dying then someone better tell all the damn manufactures this more clearly so I can get a break from all the 12 hour days we've been slammed with the last several months pushing out chips! They sure the hell havent slowed down buying them.
Proud Retired Navy Chief!

A4000T - CSPPC - Mediator
Powerbook G4 15", 17"
Powermac G5 2GHZ
AmigaOne X5000
Need Amiga recap or other services in the US? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com and take a look or on facebook at http://facebook.com/acillclassics

Offline nicholas

« Reply #58 on: July 24, 2013, 09:47:05 PM »
Quote from: djos;741936
I've seen NT4.0 running on SGI and DEC Alpha machines too. :cool:

It runs quite nicely too.

I saw it running on a PPC machine once but not sure what the actual hardware was.  Might have been an RS/6000 or StarMax model but don't quote me on that.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline maffoo

• Show only replies by maffoo
« Reply #59 from previous page: July 24, 2013, 09:51:47 PM »
Quote from: persia;742059
@psxphill, tablets and desktops are both computers, one is declining in sales numbers, one is increasing in sales numbers.  Yeah, it could be coincidence, and the nay sayers could be right the two aren't related.  But more often than not if you have two similar things and one is going up and the other down there is a link...

I think the more likely explanation is that the vast majority of people have a PC that suits their needs - any PC built within the last few years is more than adequate for most people, so they are being replaced when they break rather than when a faster model comes along. The market for new PCs has shrunk, so they sell less.

Tablets, on the other hand, have only been on the market for a few years - there are a lot of people out there who would like a tablet but haven't got one yet so there is a bigger market for them, and they sell more as a result. Eventually most people with a need for a tablet will have one, they will be fast enough for their needs, and the market will shrink just as it has with PCs.

IMO, the traditional PC will be around for a long time - tablets complement PCs, but don't replace them. I use my Nexus 7 a lot, and it's far more convenient than my PC for quickly checking something on the internet, but if I want to do any "real" work I use my PC.