Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: msdosUAE faster than WinUAE?  (Read 1798 times)

Description:

Offline LoTopic starter

• Show only replies by Lo
msdosUAE faster than WinUAE?
« on: December 07, 2002, 12:55:32 PM »
dosUAE looks to be very difficult to endure what
with all those command line switches.  I would
assume it to be faster without the overhead of
windblows, otherwise whats the point other than
running on older IBM-PC's?
  :-?
[color=0000CC]GVP 060 @50 Pwr Twr [/color][color=FF0000]AMD_Amithlon_UAE[/color]

Offline bhoggett

• Show only replies by bhoggett
    • http://www.midnightmu.com
Re: msdosUAE faster than WinUAE?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2002, 01:23:21 PM »
dosUAE originated when a lot of people still preferred to use DOS , specially when running emulators. It hasn't been updated for some time, and does not have JIT at all. There is absolutely no point in running dosUAE today unless your PC is so old it cannot run Windows. Even then, UAE would be so slow as to be practically unusable.

If you're going to be running Amiga emulation in DOS, Fellow is a better choice.
Bill Hoggett

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2002, 01:45:35 PM »
If you run WinUAE and then DOSUAE, you might think that DOSUAE was faster!!!

But if you look carefully you will notice that DOSUAE has no real time timer, which means that keyrepeats are unusable for exaple. DOSUAE tends to be less compatible (due to the lack of a real time timer) and for number cruching and graphics opperations are slower than WinUAE.

The problem I find with WinUAE is audio support... Audio quality is poor even with my Professional Studio Audio sound card. But DOSUAE generally has no sound card support.

Offline alphonsus

• Show only replies by alphonsus
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2002, 10:31:18 PM »
What are you using to judge the sound output? and how have you set the sound system up? and what are you running it on?
AMPlifier pre OS3.9BB2 was very naff - especially on mp3s. The latest version with the 1.4 mp3 codec is much better - very little aliasing of high frequency signals.
Are you using the right AHI driver for your version of WinUAE? Tweaking AHI inside the emulation took me a while, and it was by guesswork, listen to result, change, reboot amiga and listen again.
And is your PC capable? Mine's an 1800+ athlon using SDR RAM, and it's happy except when I alt-tab between amiga and pc (addressed in the latest version 0.8.22r4 if I read the bugfixes right - not at home right now and separated from it)
If I can help, contact me.
Alphonsus.
Saw the light in 1990, found WinUAE in 2003