Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: PLCC extraction help!  (Read 1261 times)

Description:

PLCC extraction help!
« on: May 26, 2008, 12:49:36 AM »
I bought a PLCC extractor at radio shack - it seems to be the same model everyone sells - and I'm trying to pull a chip with it, but the plastic frame of the extractor will not sit against the socket properly. It looks to me like either the metal hooks are too long to fit, or else I'm not doing it right. Can someone who's actually done this before offer any advice, please?

Offline Damion

Re: PLCC extraction help!
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 02:14:27 AM »
Just make sure the little metal hooks are fully underneath the chip, and you should be fine. Two ways to go from there -- you can squeeze the tool together (the plastic will eventually seat against the socket) and the chip will "pop" out, or you can try to gently wiggle it out a bit at a time. (I prefer the second method if possible.)

The last time I had to remove an Agnus, I was able to use the hooks to carefully lift the chip out a little at a time... absolutely no chance for damage that way. If the chip doesn't want to budge, you may have to give the tool a squeeze. Either way though, I've *never* (knock on wood) had a PLCC socket break on me.

Offline weirdami

• Show only replies by weirdami
    • Http://Bindingpolymer.com
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 02:21:27 AM »
if your agnus folds in half, be sure to send us pictures.
----
Binding Polymer: Keeping you together since 1892.

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 02:21:36 AM »
my problem seems to be that I just can't get the hooks under the chip, at all. I'm flabbergasted; I position the tool over the two slots at the corners, and try to gently insert the clips, but I can't figure out how to get them in there. they just sort of sit next to the chip. (I'm trying this on a different chip that I don't need.)

Offline Damion

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 02:25:10 AM »

pkillo wrote:
my problem seems to be that I just can't get the hooks under the chip, at all. I'm flabbergasted; I position the tool over the two slots at the corners, and try to gently insert the clips, but I can't figure out how to get them in there. they just sort of sit next to the chip. (I'm trying this on a different chip that I don't need.)

That's odd... well, I know the hooks on the RS tool definitely *will* fit under the Agnus with a bit of wiggling.

-edit- If the hooks aren't all the way underneath, the tool may put a nice scratch on top of the chip you're removing (annoying).

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 02:28:30 AM »
yeah, I'm just having no luck here and have now scratched the crap out of the poor amber chip I've sacrificed to practice. I tried inserting the tools clips into an empty socket to see if they will go all the way down, and it was a _really_ tight squeeze. I'm half tempted to just get out a solder scraper and use the pointed end but i'm fairly sure that's the frustration speaking and should be ignored. :)

Offline Plaz

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 02:44:38 AM »
Is the plastic part preventing the metal hooks from going deep enough? Try pushing the plastic back far enough to expose more of the metal. Don't squeeze on the plastic handle untill you have the metal teeth deep enough. It may be a little tricky and you may have to do one end at a time. And I agree with the wiggle technique.

Plaz

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 02:50:28 AM »
no, the plastic part never comes down far enough to make a difference. when I put the tool into the empty socket I had to push fairly hard to get it to squeeze itself into place, as there was resistance from the walls of the access hole...