Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Just tried AROS for the first time! WOW!  (Read 3996 times)

Description:

Offline dandelionTopic starter

• Show only replies by dandelion
Just tried AROS for the first time! WOW!
« on: June 05, 2006, 03:12:49 PM »
Hi all,

I'm a reasonably experienced Amiga user. Have become (like most of us I imagine) more and more disillusioned with what's happening with AmigaOS 4, Eyetech, Hyperion (i.e. nothing). Although I wanted to see a cheap proliferation of PPC hardware with OS4 bundled, that just doesn't look very likely now. Also, watching the painless (and astonishing) move by Apple to x86 hardware, has really made be overcome my bias against this type of hardware. Of course, it's simply everywhere, it's fast, and it's cheap. No one says you have to have Windows installed on it and ok, the wealth of different hardware types might suggest compatibility problems but as is so often said, you simply tailor your shopping list to what is known to be supported. Forgive the waffle...what I really wanted to say is..

I've just tried the AROS live CD (http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/aros/AROS-20060207-i386-pc-boot-iso.tar.bz2?download)
took a couple of mins to download, quick ISO write and a reset, and suddenly I was in a blisteringly fast, 1024x768 Amiga environment, running native of x86. It's the most wonderful treat to load up DOpus4, bommberman, to suddenly be the proud owner of a new Amiga computer. Of course, this is just a live CD, and there's a lot of work to be done. There IS TCP however, some browsing, IRC. That and a proper install can wait till the weekend. This is surely the most promising development in the Amiga world (not forgetting MiniMig of course)at the moment. Please support it!

I know there's a huge amount of work to be done, work is I believe happening apace to integrate 68k JIT emulation. It seems a shame that all of Hyperion's efforts haven't been poured into this project. They could have created their own AROS distribution, supplemented the code, and enjoyed a set up in much the same way as Mandriva do (i.e. we pay for advanced usage, they run the Hyperion-AROS distribution and user club). I'm CERTAIN this would get people coming back to the Amiga scene. WHY THE HELL ISN'T THIS HAPPENING?? PHew. Well. The future's bright, the future's AROS.

Much love,

Dandelion.
MorphOS on MacMini
RISC OS on RPi
Dreaming of owning another classic.

Offline Louis Dias

Re: Just tried AROS for the first time! WOW!
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006, 03:39:21 PM »
I'm waiting for SFS to be native before I install it in a dedicated harddrive...

Offline jdiffend

• Show only replies by jdiffend
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 03:39:35 PM »

dandelion wrote:

I know there's a huge amount of work to be done, work is I believe happening apace to integrate 68k JIT emulation. It seems a shame that all of Hyperion's efforts haven't been poured into this project. They could have created their own AROS distribution, supplemented the code, and enjoyed a set up in much the same way as Mandriva do (i.e. we pay for advanced usage, they run the Hyperion-AROS distribution and user club). I'm CERTAIN this would get people coming back to the Amiga scene. WHY THE HELL ISN'T THIS HAPPENING?? PHew. Well. The future's bright, the future's AROS.

Much love,

Dandelion.

I don't believe Hyperion is interested in us buying cheap hardware.  If you can buy cheap hardware it would be possible to pirate the OS and they whouldn't make their money.

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2006, 03:59:21 PM »
I think that's an over-protective and short sighted policy on their part, and let's face it it's not exactly paying off is it. Operating systems which have worked with open hardware i.e. Windows, Linux and now OS X seem to be doing rather better than OS 4 I would say. And who's talking about piracy anyway? Hyperion could support the AROS/Open Source model and make a lot more money in other ways compared to what they're making now with this closed/protectionist and stifled approach which has left them in a rather unfortunate position.

MorphOS on MacMini
RISC OS on RPi

Offline Savan

• Show only replies by Savan
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2006, 04:12:17 PM »
Hyperions hands are tied, they can not port OS4 to other platforms because they (deservingly) shot themselves in the foot by teaming up with the villiage idiots at Amiga Inc & Eyetech.

AROS is fantastic and well worth supporting.

Offline 4pLaY

• Show only replies by 4pLaY
    • https://www.amigalife.org
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2006, 04:29:49 PM »
Since this thread was started about AROS i might as well note that today a new Lunapaint v0.2.1 to be exact have been released for AROS http://www.sub-ether.org/lunapaint/ :).

Offline detz

• Show only replies by detz
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2006, 04:43:55 PM »
I did give it a look, but not in great detail. To be honestI couldn't see what advantages it has over UAE, especailly with regards to reading directories from the PC side of things.

Can anyone convince me to change my mind?

Offline 4pLaY

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2006, 04:53:43 PM »

detz wrote:
I did give it a look, but not in great detail. To be honestI couldn't see what advantages it has over UAE, especailly with regards to reading directories from the PC side of things.

Can anyone convince me to change my mind?

Probably not =) depends on what you want ouf ot it! if all you want is to run some old games or maybe the odd Application then UAE is the right choice! if you however want to be part of something for the future with native software etc then you should keep an eye on AROS and you could always run UAE on AROS as well (we do have E-UAE) =).

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2006, 05:39:33 PM »
It seems to be that (and i'm new to AROS so I tread carefully) UAE is as stated above great for playing 68K Amiga games and apps etc. in an emulated environment on a variety of machines. AROS is all about creating a new platform and a new Amiga operating system for the most abundant hardware available today. It's not about emulating the past but creating a new future for the Amiga operating system.
MorphOS on MacMini
RISC OS on RPi

Offline 4pLaY

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2006, 05:49:07 PM »

dandelion wrote:
It seems to be that (and i'm new to AROS so I tread carefully) UAE is as stated above great for playing 68K Amiga games and apps etc. in an emulated environment on a variety of machines. AROS is all about creating a new platform and a new Amiga operating system for the most abundant hardware available today. It's not about emulating the past but creating a new future for the Amiga operating system.

You are right :) if i want to run that old stuff i have old Amigas or UAE for that.

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2006, 06:00:49 PM »

Rather like the transition from 68k Mac software to PPC to x86. No one's thinking too much about running their 68k Mac software on their new spangly intel core machines and this is the same with AROS :) Just skipping the PPC bit in the middle.

MorphOS on MacMini
RISC OS on RPi

Offline 4pLaY

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2006, 06:05:45 PM »

dandelion wrote:

Rather like the transition from 68k Mac software to PPC to x86. No one's thinking too much about running their 68k Mac software on their new spangly intel core machines and this is the same with AROS :) Just skipping the PPC bit in the middle.

There is acctualy a semi working PPC version of AROS =) so those die hard PPC fanatics can run it as well if they want to  keep it up 2 date with the x86 version.

Offline Boot_WB

• Show only replies by Boot_WB
    • http://www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2006, 06:11:07 PM »
I tried the live CD on my laptop.  I can't remember the error exactly, but it was asking me to select the screenmode from a list, and none of them worked :-(.

Haven't tried it out on the desktop yet, but will give it a try soon.
Mac Mini G4 (1.5GHz, 64MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.6
Powerbook 5.8 (15", 1.67GHz, 128MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.8.

Windows-free since 2011-2014 (Damn you Netflix!)

Offline Louis Dias

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2006, 06:16:09 PM »
I want to run it on my Wii!

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2006, 06:16:17 PM »

Works here on my no-name-el cheapo laptop. Maybe try the latest build?
MorphOS on MacMini
RISC OS on RPi