Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A few quick WinUAE questions  (Read 2048 times)

Description:

Offline blakespotTopic starter

• Visit ByteCellar.com
    • Show only replies by blakespot
    • ByteCellar - The Vintage Computing Blog
A few quick WinUAE questions
« on: August 19, 2010, 05:42:49 PM »
I am having a number of issues with my A1200 tower and am considering, to keep things easier, grabbing a cheap Core2Duo PC w/ Win7 and running WinUAE / AmigaForever.

I have a few questions.

- How well is AGA supported right now, for WHDLoad games and demos?

- RTG gfx for desktop are supported right?  On most any PC vidcard?

- Is WinUAE on a fast PC "tight" such that things are synched properly, seem authentic?

- What is the best mode to run for a "super Amiga" emu station under WinUAE?  Emulated 040?  060?  

Thanks.

bp
:: ByteCellar.com - The Vintage Computing Weblog
:: Amigas: 1000, 2000 '020, SAM440ep-Flex

Offline Thomas

Re: A few quick WinUAE questions
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 07:33:33 PM »
- How well is AGA supported right now, for WHDLoad games and demos?

Almost everything works. Most "errors" which happen in WinUAE have been proven to happen on real hardware, too. If you find something which works differently from real hardware, go to eab.abime.net and report it as a bug.

- RTG gfx for desktop are supported right? On most any PC vidcard?

As long as there are proper Windows drivers for the gfx card, WinUAE can work with it, too.

- Is WinUAE on a fast PC "tight" such that things are synched properly, seem authentic?

You can configure it to run in A500 speed, in A1200 speed or as fast as possible. Chipset timing is correct in all three speeds.

- What is the best mode to run for a "super Amiga" emu station under WinUAE? Emulated 040? 060?

All CPUs are equally fast under "fastest possible" emulation. For highest compatibility you should use a 68020 with FPU.

Offline blakespotTopic starter

• Visit ByteCellar.com
    • Show only replies by blakespot
    • ByteCellar - The Vintage Computing Blog
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 09:46:49 PM »
Is AmigaForever the most painless way to get fully setup?  Thanks.

blakespot
:: ByteCellar.com - The Vintage Computing Weblog
:: Amigas: 1000, 2000 '020, SAM440ep-Flex

Offline ElPolloDiabl

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 10:15:26 PM »
No, Amiga forever is set up to play some shareware games after installation. Otherwise it is more difficult to customise because you have to go hunting for files on the CD-ROM.
WinUAE by itself is a breeze to set up.
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline KThunder

• Show only replies by KThunder
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 01:22:25 AM »
I would say that Winuae is as compatible (with settings) as any amiga I've ever had. It is as good as the 500 with old software and the 1200 with practically everything.

If you want your scrolling etc. to be perfect it is best to set your refresh rate to the same as the video mode winuae is emulating if you can; otherwise it will not be exact, because the emulation is so tight the hardware running at a different refresh will cause scrolling especially (to some people) to be not perfect.

For example if you are running a pal mode you will want a 50 or 100 or if neither of those work a 75hz. If you use say an 85hz mode scolling won't be perfectly smooth because the emulation will be running at a slightly different rate than the hardware. If you are emulating a ntsc mode 60, 120 or 90 not 70 85 or any other. Anything other than a whole multiple of the mode you are emulating is less than perfect but totally off refresh rates will be most noticable.

btw v-sync and buffering will help this but not eliminate it as much as a refresh match.

This has never been a problem for me but some purists complain about it sometimes.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 01:37:38 AM by KThunder »
Oh yeah?!?
Well your stupid bit is set,
and its read only!
(my best geek putdown)