Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Completely off topic...but is Windows XP dead?  (Read 7015 times)

Description:

Offline AmigaClassicRuleTopic starter

• Show only replies by AmigaClassicRule
Completely off topic...but is Windows XP dead?
« on: January 24, 2013, 07:11:04 AM »
I mean I love Windows 7. Windows 7 is an awesome operating system and I hate Windows 8 with the greatest of passion, but Windows XP is a great Windows OS too and wondering if it is really dead now?

Offline Bif

• Show only replies by Bif
Re: Completely off topic...but is Windows XP dead?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 07:43:35 AM »
I haven't used XP in a couple of years so no idea. At the time it seemed to actually run the stuff I needed to run.

However, recently I tried to install Visual Studio Express 2012 on a machine that's only about 3 or 4 years old that came with Windows Vista and that was a no go - needs Windows 7 or newer. Heck it didn't even bother checking for Windows 7 during the install, it just fails with an obscure error when you run it. Anyway I found that a bit shocking. I guess even Vista is almost 6 years old, but still I thought that was a bit quick of MS to be pulling the plug on supporting it with their own products.

I snidely figured this was how Microsoft was going to make money off their "free" products, forcing us to buy their latest OS all the time now. It would also make their "latest OS" adoption rates improve so things like Windows 8 won't be deemed a failure if you NEED it to run stuff. I think they are a bit worried that people are just happy to use whatever Windows OS came on their computer until the computer is dead and buried - I'm certainly in that category, I'll never do a Windows upgrade.

Anyway, if Vista is already considered this dead to them then XP is going to be even deader. But at long as it runs whatever you want to run I guess it's fine, though you might want to keep it off the internet if MS has stopped releasing security patches.

Offline Belzelcior

• Show only replies by Belzelcior
    • http://www.advanced.se
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 07:45:27 AM »
Dead? Well, that's really a point of view.

According to Microsoft, end of support is April 8, 2014 (XP SP3 and Office 2003) where end of support means no new security updates, non-security hotfixes, free or paid assisted support options or online technical content updates (read more at http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/endofsupport.aspx).

Offline CritAnime

• Previous Life Time Member
    • Show only replies by CritAnime
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 08:55:50 AM »
Lots of businesses still use xp. The hospital I work for still has windows xp desktops but they are phasing in Windows 7 machines now to replace broken machines. Windows xp has been a solid platform for Microsoft and is still solid now.

Offline pVC

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 10:28:17 AM »
Microsoft says: "Support for Windows XP is ending on April 8, 2014. If you're running this version after support ends, you won't get security updates for Windows."

Not too long until that :/ I've been thinking what to do with family members with XP:s still in use and working perfectly fine for them. Almost grabbed cheap Win 8 upgrade offer which is available for this month still, but seems it doesn't work with P4/2.8GHz CPUs we have around. Missing the NX bit... soo.. I guess we'll let them be XP still and see what happens :)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 10:35:05 AM by pVC »
Daily MorphOS user and Amiga active.

Offline yssing

• Show only replies by yssing
    • http://www.yssing.org
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 10:34:05 AM »
I still use XP on a daily basis, I prefer it over other windows distros

Offline AppleIIGuy

• Show only replies by AppleIIGuy
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 11:21:12 AM »
we use xp at work for the computers that control hardware, and Win 7 for other use

Offline rvo_nl

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by rvo_nl
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 11:54:31 AM »
XP was a very solid OS but win7 and win8 are a lot better, IMO. especially with classic shell installed, windows 8 is very nice. It removes the new interface and brings back the old start menu. Just my opinion.
Amiga 1200 (1d4) Kickstart 3.1 (40.68), Elbox Power/Winner tower (450w psu), BlizzardPPC 603e+ @240mhz & 060 @50mhz, 256MB, Bvision, IDE-fix Express, IndivisionAGA, 120GB IDE, cd, dvd, Cocolino, Micronik Keycase, PCMCIA Ethernet, Ratte monitor switcher, Prelude1200, triple boot WB3.1 / OS3.9 / OS4.1, Win95 / MacOS8.1

Offline CritAnime

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 12:24:46 PM »
I think until the security patches stop been released for xp there is no need for people to immediately upgrade but maybe at the very least start thinking about saving money for new hardware. While I like Windows 7, And grudgingly use 8 on my wifes laptop, I don't think there is any need for panic just yet if people are comfortable and still have software that works.

Most businesses that still run XP, and a lot of public services do, will probably be already looking to start upgrading the Windows 7. There is already some systems that are Windows 7 at the hospital I work at in key areas just to make sure comparability and stability is there. After all we don't want an X-Ray machine doing a BSOD on us midway through a scan lol.

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 12:33:15 PM »
My company only upgraded my work computer to Windows 7 three months ago. My personal machine still runs XP. Most software still supports XP. The end is nigh, but it's not here yet.

Offline CritAnime

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 12:39:49 PM »
Quote from: Matt_H;723793
My company only upgraded my work computer to Windows 7 three months ago. My personal machine still runs XP. Most software still supports XP. The end is nigh, but it's not here yet.

Exactly. :)

I have a relative that was still using my old Win 98se Dell, that I gave her 8 years ago, up to the begining of last year. She never went on the net and only did word processing and played a few games. I would imagine there is an army of people that are like this with XP.

Offline k4lmp

• Show only replies by k4lmp
    • http://www.k4lmp.org
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2013, 01:12:20 PM »
I run Linux on all my machines, but have XP loaded under VirtualBox on all of them.  I use it for WinUAE, and other things.  XP is my favorite Windows version.  I will keep using it until I can't, then I will use Windows 7.  I like Windows 7 pretty good as well, but not as much as XP.  As far as Windows 8, won't use it.  I tried it for awhile under VirtualBox, when they had the free trial, and hated it.  I think XP use will be around for a long time.  They may not support it, but will still have all the updates available under Windows Update, to the point where support stopped.  That just means there will be no new patches put out.  I downloaded all three service packs, and IE 8, so I can upgrade it mostly without even going to Windows Update.  I don't use it as a main OS, so, I am not worried about viruses and such from web browsing.  I download everything on the Linux side.  I do have Avast loaded on the XP, though, to scan downloaded files.  XP is a great OS, and I think it's use will continue for some time.  Just my opinion, though.

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2013, 01:13:32 PM »
On older machines there is really no reason to move off it.  But both home and corporate users will find that any new PC or MB/CPU/Memory upgrade will most likely not have support driver support for xp.
It's definitely on the cart..

Windows 8 is a different OS experience to Windows 7/Vista.  On a touch device it's totally different than mouse based.  If you are prepared to re-learn how to do certain things it's quite powerful.  But a lot of people expect it to work the same as the previous OS, I did. Once I understood what they were trying to achieve I understood the benefits.  Still I wish you could see your apps running in some kind of task bar at the bottom of the screen. Flicking through pages is fine if you have touch but a pain with a mouse.  SP1 please...sorry ranting off topic..
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 01:20:20 PM by gertsy »

Offline Ral-Clan

• Show only replies by Ral-Clan
    • http://www3.sympatico.ca/clarke-santin/
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2013, 01:15:17 PM »
Quote from: CritAnime;723794
Exactly. :)

I have a relative that was still using my old Win 98se Dell, that I gave her 8 years ago, up to the begining of last year. She never went on the net and only did word processing and played a few games. I would imagine there is an army of people that are like this with XP.

I still use Windows XP and it does absolutely everything I need it to do (video editing, music, desktop publishing, 2D and 3D graphics, emulation, word processing, internet) - and I would say that I am a more intensive computer user than your average homeowner who just uses his/her computer for e-mail/internet and the occassional game.

I also have a couple of highly useful applications (i.e. Windows 98 era) which will still run on Windows XP but apparently won't run on later version of Windows.

I hope to be able to continue using XP even past 2014 if possible - I certainly still continue to use AmigaOS and I did use Windows 98 long past its support date (until about 2007).

In fact, I've been thinking about what will happen when / if I actually need to upgrade my hardware.  I'd like to find a more modern system that will STILL run Windows XP - mainly for the sole attraction of the additional CPU cores that will make my existing video editing software etc. even faster.

I wonder if you could even take a machine manufactured in 2012/2013, wipe the more modern OS and install Windows XP on it.

I have heard about the virtual machine support in the new versions of Windows.  This seems good.

I'm not really concerned about lack of software support once XP is no longer supported my MicroSoft - heck, if I did I wouldn't be using Amiga stuff as well.  I'm sure there will be a huge body of independent users and programmers still supporting Windows XP (you can still find good support and modern applications / hacks for Windows 98 if you look).

I've always been a fan of older software.  For example, I think a hard working, creative person can do more with an older version of Photoshop (or, heck, even DPaint) then a less motivated person can do with the latest cutting edge version.

So - is the ONLY really compelling reason to upgrade to a later version of Windows (if you're happy with older software) the lack of security patches?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 01:18:04 PM by ral-clan »
Music I've made using Amigas and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2013, 01:28:21 PM »
Quote from: ral-clan;723797

So - is the ONLY really compelling reason to upgrade to a later version of Windows (if you're happy with older software) the lack of security patches?

Nup, Lack of driver support for new hardware is the biggy. And growing...

I like your usage profile, simular to mine.  I have still have Windows 98 apps (32 bit) that run fine on Win8.  Studio 5 is one example.  In fact I haven't had an XP app/game I've purchased, that I can think of, not run on Vista-Win7-Win8.

PS: It's more modern apps that want you to upgrade and try to block you from installing older versions of their app on new OS's.  Nero is one example. But they are usually easy to get around.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 01:32:53 PM by gertsy »