Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Yup, I just banned him...  (Read 16216 times)

Description:

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
Re: Yup, I just banned him...
« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2013, 10:43:01 PM »
Quote from: ferrellsl;750032
I'm glad he's been banned for a while.  On many threads, he drove people off by using it as a bully-pulpit especially if it was a thread of his starting.  Anyone who disagreed with him or had a differing viewpoint, was in simpler terms, called an idiot and told to shut up.  I think that's been a problem for A.org for a while now, people who want to use the forums to be bullies rather than a place of discussion and information sharing.

Well, not without admitting my own faults (of this nature), you're not the most laid back easy going guy yourself.

And the demeaning and abusive language is why some people like AmigaDave are not seen here any more.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline CritAnime

• Previous Life Time Member
    • Show only replies by CritAnime
« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2013, 11:39:23 PM »
Well this was a interesting read.

Offline ElPolloDiabl

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
« Reply #46 on: October 14, 2013, 03:21:22 AM »
It wasn't just arguing. It was repeating the same argument over and over again.
The last time jumping through several threads.

I think the mods here are more generous than other places.
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show only replies by TheBilgeRat
« Reply #47 on: October 14, 2013, 03:25:09 AM »
Boooring.

Offline desiv

• Show only replies by desiv
« Reply #48 on: October 14, 2013, 03:40:04 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;749979
You folks all act like this is some kid's club and you can just revoke someone's access to to tree house.

Actually, they can, and there is nothing childish about it..
There are LOTS of places where you will get banned if you don't act like an adult.

Now, I have no idea if the ban was deserved or not..

But this IS their site and they DO have the right to ban whomever they feel violated their ToS.

I get really confused when adults don't understand that, because it is exactly the way it works in the adult world...

And as for "gloating," that's one way to look at it.
Another is that it's way of letting people know what will happen.

At work, when people get in trouble for going places the "shouldn't" on the internet, they are always asked to step down and no one knows about it..

In my mind, if we were able to state just once that "Mister X was let go because he went places he shouldn't have on the internet," then maybe some other people would be less likely to try it themselves..

And in a free market (and the Internet is the ultimate in free), there are checks and balances..
If it happens too little, the site becomes a troll central (for good or bad).  If it happens too much, people stop going there..
Site mods try to find a balance..

And that balance can (and probably should) include bans to help keep it balanced.

It happens in the real world.  It happens on the Internet...
Big deal..  Such is life..  ;-)

desiv
Amiga 1200 w/ ACA1230/28 - 4G CF, MAS Player, ext floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 500 w/ 2M CHIP and 8M FAST RAM, DCTV, AEHD floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 1000 w/ 4M FAST RAM, DUAL CF hard drives, external floppy.

Offline AmigaClassicRule

• Show only replies by AmigaClassicRule
« Reply #49 on: October 14, 2013, 05:08:38 AM »
Quote from: desiv;750090
Actually, they can, and there is nothing childish about it..
There are LOTS of places where you will get banned if you don't act like an adult.

Now, I have no idea if the ban was deserved or not..

But this IS their site and they DO have the right to ban whomever they feel violated their ToS.

I get really confused when adults don't understand that, because it is exactly the way it works in the adult world...

And as for "gloating," that's one way to look at it.
Another is that it's way of letting people know what will happen.

At work, when people get in trouble for going places the "shouldn't" on the internet, they are always asked to step down and no one knows about it..

In my mind, if we were able to state just once that "Mister X was let go because he went places he shouldn't have on the internet," then maybe some other people would be less likely to try it themselves..

And in a free market (and the Internet is the ultimate in free), there are checks and balances..
If it happens too little, the site becomes a troll central (for good or bad).  If it happens too much, people stop going there..
Site mods try to find a balance..

And that balance can (and probably should) include bans to help keep it balanced.

It happens in the real world.  It happens on the Internet...
Big deal..  Such is life..  ;-)

desiv

You also forgot to mention for the grown ups here that for each action comes responsibilities and consequences.....

Offline SysAdmin

• News posting Auto Agent
    • Show only replies by SysAdmin
    • http://www.a-eon.com
« Reply #50 on: October 14, 2013, 07:35:42 AM »
Quote from: cgutjahr;750005
Not sure I would refer to his thread (it's still there, btw.) as "taking a dump". The "electric cars" section is a total waste of space and only exists to create some revenue for the site owner. And, more importantly: every time you stumble over it you're reminded that said site owner is trying to cover that up.

This is your assumption and it's incorrect. In reality I inherited Amiga.org from Wayne and Tedd which already included sub-forums called Coffee House which are discussions that have nothing to do with Amiga. These forums have tens of thousands of messages that I don't read and have no interest in like Politics. My gut feeling when I took over the site was to eliminate these non-Amiga forums. If I did that I would upset tons of members that post in and enjoy these sub-forums. I don't want to upset Amiga.org members or take away their Coffee House since it already existed when I took over the site.

So if I have to keep the Coffee House around as the site owner I added a couple of forums I have interest in, Electric Cars for example. I don't make revenue from that sub-forum, I own and am interested in Electric cars. I consider Electric cars the Amiga of the car industry. Misunderstood, trolled, strong feelings for and  against them. Like an Amiga when you try one you will understand why  owners love them.

So the short answer is either the entire Coffee House goes bye bye or I have 2-3 topics in the Coffee House I have an interest in. You don't have to read them if you have no interest. Just like I don't read CH / Politics.

Sorry that I am just now posting in this thread, my grandmother past  away yesterday and I have not been on the site much since then.
Posts on this account before August 4th, 2012 don\'t belong to me.

Offline SysAdmin

• News posting Auto Agent
    • Show only replies by SysAdmin
    • http://www.a-eon.com
« Reply #51 on: October 14, 2013, 07:39:43 AM »
Quote from: kickstart;750042
@owner admins or whatever

After this power demonstration, i don't know commodorejohn or his opinions at this moment and i don't care of it... why not fix the login problems?

We are working on a solution to fix the login problem forever.
Posts on this account before August 4th, 2012 don\'t belong to me.

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
« Reply #52 on: October 14, 2013, 12:18:58 PM »
Hmm step out for a few days and look what's happened. Could do with some colour around the place. Don't know the background but sounds as if a warning was given but ignored. C'est la vie!

Offline yssing

• Show only replies by yssing
    • http://www.yssing.org
« Reply #53 on: October 14, 2013, 01:27:22 PM »
@SysAdmin >> While we are at the subject of fixing things on the site, maybe it would be possible to add bootstrap or make the site responsive using an other tool.
I browse this site using my phone more than I use a computer.

Offline LoadWB

• Show only replies by LoadWB
« Reply #54 on: October 14, 2013, 02:13:27 PM »
Quote from: yssing;750115
@SysAdmin >> While we are at the subject of fixing things on the site, maybe it would be possible to add bootstrap or make the site responsive using an other tool.

Adding features isn't really fixing things.  Anyway, I've had good results using the "mobile" style selection at the bottom of the page with the NetFront browser built into my phones.

Offline yssing

• Show only replies by yssing
    • http://www.yssing.org
« Reply #55 on: October 14, 2013, 02:31:18 PM »
I never noticed that scheme before :D
It's ugly, but it works.

I would in this case, argue that adding responsive, is infact fixing things, since the site does not render very well on small screen devivces.

Offline broken

• Show only replies by broken
« Reply #56 on: October 14, 2013, 03:35:39 PM »
Quote from: SysAdmin;750102
I consider Electric cars the Amiga of the car industry. Misunderstood, trolled, strong feelings for and  against them. Like an Amiga when you try one you will understand why  owners love them.

lol

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #57 on: October 14, 2013, 05:14:56 PM »
Quote from: SysAdmin;750102
Misunderstood, trolled, strong feelings for and  against them. Like an Amiga when you try one you will understand why  owners love them.

That's what i think about redheads.
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #58 on: October 14, 2013, 05:18:27 PM »
Quote from: yssing;750115

Screw using a smartphone. If you really cool you would be browsing using a classic Amiga. Which is what i would be doing if i actually owned an Amiga  : /
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline LoadWB

• Show only replies by LoadWB
« Reply #59 from previous page: October 14, 2013, 06:24:47 PM »
Quote from: Kesa;750124
That's what i think about redheads.

See attached.

Quote from: Kesa;750125
Screw using a smartphone. If you really cool you would be browsing using a classic Amiga. Which is what i would be doing if i actually owned an Amiga  : /

I am considering trading in my Amiga for an electric car.