Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Getting started  (Read 2410 times)

Description:

Offline drtedTopic starter

• Show only replies by drted
Getting started
« on: August 13, 2003, 11:38:12 PM »
It's been about 10 years since I used an amiga, which was an A500. I've seen slashdot occasionally post articles about the amiga and the amiga OS. Recently, I've been gaining interest in the amiga again. Doing a bit of research, I noticed that it runs on the PowerPC.

Can I run it on my iBook, or another apple system? If so, where do I find the amiga OS? If not, what hardware do I need for the amiga OS and where can I find that?

Offline iamaboringperson

• Show only replies by iamaboringperson
Re: Getting started
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2003, 11:47:12 PM »
you wont find AmigaOS4 on your notebook
infact you wont find AmigaOS4, full-stop.

the first step IMO, is to buy a pegasos ;)

Offline xeron

• Show only replies by xeron
    • http://www.petergordon.org.uk
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2003, 11:50:06 PM »
None of the "next generation" Amiga, or Amiga-like solutions run on Apple hardware, at least not yet.

The official upgrade path, AmigaOS 4, is not available yet, but it will run on PowerPC upgraded Amiga 4000 computers, or the new AmigaOne motherboards. For more information, visit the OS4 homepage.

A lot of Amiga owners have given up waiting for OS 4, and have turned to an alternative solution, called MorphOS. MorphOS runs on another custom PowerPC motherboard, called the Pegasos. It runs old 68k and PPC Amiga programs, as well as native MorphOS programs. It is not going to be compatible with native AmigaOS 4 applications.

For more information, visit morphos.net

Personally, I'm waiting for AmigaOS 4, because I feel it will be more in line with what I want from a next generation AmigaOS than MorphOS, but whatever you choose, welcome to Amiga.org.

Edit: Oh yes, you'll find people who support either system telling you to follow in their footsteps, because their route is "the best" and the others are "wrong". At the moment, the Amiga online community suffers from a vocal minority hell bent on making a loud noise, trolling, and shouting, but make up your own mind. Read the featurelists of both, look at screenshots.

It might be a good idea to wait until BOTH products are in users hands and make your mind up then.
Playstation Network ID: xeron6

Offline artman

• Show only replies by artman
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2003, 12:36:14 AM »
@xeron

Wow, that's probably the most intelligent and thoughtful advice that I've seen given to a newcomer yet.  Totally impartial and objective too.  Great writing!  Regards...Art :-D

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2003, 12:47:26 AM »
@ xeron

Nice post! :-)

Edit: Oh yes, you'll find people who support either system telling you to follow in their footsteps, because their route is "the best"

Heh, like you just did?  :-P  :-)

It might be a good idea to wait until BOTH products are in users hands and make your mind up then.

Well, yes, if you have nothing against waiting ... and waiting ... and waiting ...
 :-P
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline drtedTopic starter

• Show only replies by drted
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2003, 01:08:12 AM »
Thanks guys. Good advice was what I was after (especially xeron!). I take it that there's no news on an OS4 release date yet. So a good place to start is to get my hands on an AmigaOne system? Now I just gotta find one in australia! Thanks again.

Offline Lando

• Show only replies by Lando
    • https://bartechtv.com
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2003, 03:18:40 AM »

artman wrote:
@xeron

Wow, that's probably the most intelligent and thoughtful advice that I've seen given to a newcomer yet.  Totally impartial and objective too.  Great writing!  Regards...Art :-D

I agree :-D

Nice one xeron!

Offline Floid

• Show only replies by Floid
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2003, 03:45:13 AM »

xeron wrote:
None of the "next generation" Amiga, or Amiga-like solutions run on Apple hardware, at least not yet.
If you know me, you know I'm waiting for OS 4, but we should remember that Genesi *have* expressed interest in seeing MorphOS run on Mac hardware.  (Amiga Inc./Hyperion/Eyetech have not for OS4, since they see it as a legal minefield, and would prefer to make some hardware revenue, of course).

So if the poor guy purchases an AmigaOne now, he'll be ready for the best of both unobtainable worlds!

Offline lionstorm

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2003, 07:23:06 AM »
welcome back drted ! Since you own a mac, why not playing around with macUAE and remember the good old days ? That would cost you nothing and will make you wait for os4 release (when it is ready).
Lio

Offline vortexau

• Show only replies by vortexau
    • http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~vortexau
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2003, 07:39:06 AM »
-vortexau; who\\\'s still waiting! (-for AmigaOS4! ;-) )
savage Ami bridge parody

Offline DanDude

• Show only replies by DanDude
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2003, 07:48:45 AM »
Tr
by iamaboringperson on 2003/8/13 17:47:12
you wont find AmigaOS4 on your notebook
infact you wont find AmigaOS4, full-stop.

the first step IMO, is to buy a pegasos ;)

You troll!  Tsk, tsk, tsk, tsk, tsk.
#AmIRC
mesra.dal.net or hotspeed.dal.net
irc2.beyondirc.net

Offline xeron

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2003, 09:42:37 AM »

Edit: Oh yes, you'll find people who support either system telling you to follow in their footsteps, because their route is "the best"

Heh, like you just did?  :-P  :-)

I didn't tell him to do anything.

Offline xeron

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2003, 09:47:19 AM »

artman wrote:
@xeron

Thanks. :-D its just that, unlike some people, I am not "allergic" to the alternative solutions, and see no point in trying to discredit it.. both the Pegasos and MorphOS look very nice indeed.

On the other hand, I think it is a very sad indictment of the online Amiga community, that when someone does post sensibly and objectively, its an event that people celebrate, rather than the norm.  :-(

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2003, 09:55:54 AM »
@ xeron

Amen to that! :-)
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)