Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Jens Schönfeld  (Read 14387 times)

Description:

Offline NovaCoder

Re: Jens Schönfeld
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2008, 01:29:34 PM »
Yep, if we had a few more like him then we'd all be happy campers  :idea:

:-D
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline Everblue

• Show only replies by Everblue
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2008, 04:48:00 PM »
Cycle perfect amiga clones ftw o/

:lol:

Offline gklinger

• Show only replies by gklinger
    • http://www.vex.net/~falco
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2008, 04:55:29 AM »
I've had a few interactions with Jens and I always found him to be helpful and generous. I get the feeling he really enjoys what he does which is probably as good an explanation as any as to why he's successful doing it.
Call me Golan; my parents did.

Offline mahen

• Show only replies by mahen
    • http://mahen.free.fr
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2008, 04:20:05 PM »
Does anyone know whether the Clone-A will implement the AGA chipset ?

Offline Everblue

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2008, 04:48:57 PM »
AFAIK, no.

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2008, 06:37:52 PM »
Jens, if you are reading this entertaining thread about yourself, I have a question.

Are you coming to AmiWest 2008 next month?  We all would love to see what, if any progress has been made on your Clone-A project and congratulate you on producing the Indivision AGA scandoublers many of us will be purchasing at the show from AmigaKit!   :-D
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline Nostalgiac

• Show only replies by Nostalgiac
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2008, 08:32:21 PM »

pan1k wrote:
JENS is the MAN! I had purchased a Buddha earlier this year, and then a X-Surf. There was some sort of conflict with the two (Both were his products) and he sent me out a replacement MACH chip right away.

AHA - I got the buddha more or less by mistake (mine) and did not really need it. So when I stuck in the x-surf.. zip/nada.. I did not pay much attention to it and put the buddha in storage.

Is that "MACH" chip for the Buddha or the x-surf ? As I would not mind putting the Buddha back in with a 2gb CF card

ta
Tom UK
2000/2060/128mb/2320/2gb/C64-3D/Hydra-Aminet on OS 3.9

c128/1541/1750/1351 with Dolphin Dos and eprom burner

Offline jrfjunior

• Show only replies by jrfjunior
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2008, 09:07:25 PM »
I recognized Jens work for Amiga community. Great products. But the last two times I sended messages with questions about his products I get no answer. I thought that is about less time available due his work.

[]s

Offline Everblue

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2008, 08:40:04 AM »
We certainly need more info on Clone-A.

Offline Jupp3

• Show only replies by Jupp3
    • http://jupp3.amigafin.org
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2008, 11:05:00 AM »
Long ago I contacted him asking if it would be possible to disable FIFO on HyperCOM 3+ (as it prevents most serial devices from working properly, such as mice, graphics tablets etc. - what else would anyone connect to serial port anyway?)

As that seriously dictates what can and can't be done with the product, I expected it to be available as an option, but was as default on.

Anyway, the answer was that it cannot be disabled. He adviced me to buy similar Individual Computers product instead, that connects to the clockport.

Which I didn't. I bought a second hand A2232 which works liek a charm, and serial ports work as expected (data sent as received, and not delayed by FIFO buffer). Hypercom is in my closet, as it turned out to be a totally useless product.

Earlier I had bought Deathbed Vigil NTSC DVD. Back then I had only PS2 which refused to play it, which I assumed to be becouse it was a DVD-r disc (as PS2 has problems with low quality pressed discs aswell)

Anyway, few years later I bought a proper DVD player, and it still refused to play. Not long after I also bought a DVD drive, and it refused to read on that aswell. Anyway, contacted Jens again, as the original is "only DVD-r", I thought maybe I could get a replacement copy for postage or something. Anyway, he promised to give me a lousy 10e discount of new PAL version :-P

Luckily I postponed the purchase of Catweasel PCI untill he dropped the support for MorphOS for issues totally unrelated to the MorphOS development team.

So lots of disappointments for me. But on the other hand, even if boycotting would seem a right thing to do sometimes, he just happens to also be the only manufacturer of many interesting devices, such as MMC Replay. At least I have learned to be a bit more careful when dealing with Individual Computers devices (in which I failed with MMC Replay, as it later turned out that the "old" ethernet expansion doesn't physically fit the device)

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2008, 01:36:15 PM »

amigadave wrote:
Jens, if you are reading this entertaining thread about yourself, I have a question.

Are you coming to AmiWest 2008 next month?  We all would love to see what, if any progress has been made on your Clone-A project and congratulate you on producing the Indivision AGA scandoublers many of us will be purchasing at the show from AmigaKit!   :-D

Jens will be at AmiWest next month.
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2008, 01:39:33 PM »

jrfjunior wrote:
I recognized Jens work for Amiga community. Great products. But the last two times I sended messages with questions about his products I get no answer. I thought that is about less time available due his work.

[]s

Often it is better to ask general questions to a dealer or the community. Jens is indeed extremely busy, he tries to answer all direct questions but sometimes time does not permit.
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline ZeBeeDee

• Show only replies by ZeBeeDee
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2008, 03:40:58 PM »

Jupp3 wrote:

Earlier I had bought Deathbed Vigil NTSC DVD. Back then I had only PS2 which refused to play it, which I assumed to be becouse it was a DVD-r disc (as PS2 has problems with low quality pressed discs aswell)

Anyway, few years later I bought a proper DVD player, and it still refused to play. Not long after I also bought a DVD drive, and it refused to read on that aswell. Anyway, contacted Jens again, as the original is "only DVD-r", I thought maybe I could get a replacement copy for postage or something. Anyway, he promised to give me a lousy 10e discount of new PAL version :-P

This will tell you why: Link
To err is human ... to BOING divine!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Daedalus

• Show only replies by Daedalus
    • http://www.robthenerd.com
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2008, 06:22:19 PM »

Jupp3 wrote:
Long ago I contacted him asking if it would be possible to disable FIFO on HyperCOM 3+ (as it prevents most serial devices from working properly, such as mice, graphics tablets etc. - what else would anyone connect to serial port anyway?)

As that seriously dictates what can and can't be done with the product, I expected it to be available as an option, but was as default on.

Anyway, the answer was that it cannot be disabled. He adviced me to buy similar Individual Computers product instead, that connects to the clockport.

Which I didn't. I bought a second hand A2232 which works liek a charm, and serial ports work as expected (data sent as received, and not delayed by FIFO buffer). Hypercom is in my closet, as it turned out to be a totally useless product.

Ummm... Back when the HyperCOM was designed, the serial port was an important port for communications - I know I used both ports at high speed, one for a modem, one for a null-modem network to a PC, and the HyperCOM's FIFO buffer was great to have, not to mention the second parallel port! I never wanted to connect a mouse to it, seeing as the internal serial port would be fast enough for that kind of device, and anyway, my Amiga has a dedicated mouse port :-P
Engineers do it with precision
--
http://www.robthenerd.com

Offline Schoenfeld

• Show only replies by Schoenfeld
    • http://icomp.de
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2008, 05:49:05 PM »
Thanks everyone!

I do try to help where I can, but I can't of course be everybody's darling. Just today, I had a guy who was asking for Indivision AGA as if it was vapourware, because his reseller didn't send it to him yet (how could he, they're in transit *to* the resellers!). This guy preferred to call me a jerk because I called him imaptient, and I have asked him to please not buy my product.

Yes, I will be at Amiwest this year; I'll be on holidays for the first time in four years. All other trips were jet-set-like "arrive, be at the show, fly back home", so I could not really relax. This year I'll tour the Nevada desert with a friend (who BTW also has an Amiga history - he wrote the multidisk.device for the Amiga-Catweasel), visit a few national parks, then head over to California to visit my friend Chris Hülsbeck and on the last weekend we're in Sacramento for the Amiwest show.

Those of you who were at Amiwest 2006 also got to know Oliver, who is the main developer of Clone-A. Since this is not just "my" but strictly "our" baby, I will neither show, nor talk about Clone-A. Oliver and I will be doing this together. However, the next news release for Clone-A is still a few months away, because it is changing almost weekly. Let me just translate what I wrote yesterday night in a German forum:
The release of Indivision AGA gives a hint at the video-output-unit of Clone-A, with Clone-A requiring more features than Indivision AGA offers.

Please be patient - it'll be worth waiting for. And I have other projects, too. One of them will be revealed at Back in time live in Stockholm this saturday.

Jens

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
« Reply #29 from previous page: September 09, 2008, 05:56:20 PM »
Thanks for the update Jens and enjoy your holiday.  

Why is it I can just picture you backpacking in a remote, uninhabited area of the Nevada desert where you come across a strange, geeky looking guy in an Amiga t-shirt who says "Hi, when is the Clone A due?".  ;-)
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.