Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Two New Full Systems Based on Sam440ep-Flex  (Read 11528 times)

Description:

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
Re: Two New Full Systems Based on Sam440ep-Flex
« Reply #89 from previous page: September 30, 2012, 12:45:07 PM »
@phoenixkonsole

Quote from: phoenixkonsole;709861
What does too poor Amiga compatibility mean? Has MorphOS a better backward compatibility?

Yes indeed it has, which a well known fact, and it comes from different focus from the very beginning. The MorphOS team always put backwards compatibility very high on the priority list, while OS4 team happily introduced things that affected compatibility in a negative way in the name of "evolution", sometimes unnecessarily so. This difference shows. Which is kind of funny, since MorphOS is also the more evolved one! :lol: ;)

BTW.. AROS is MorphOS done right ; ) just to provocate a bit.

I get your provocation ;), but compared to MorphOS, what is AROS top features that you think beats it? Other than the benefits tied to x86 HW, I mean the OS itself?

@Duce

This thread fulfilled its purpose many pages ago already, and since then it branched into *numerous* discussions, which is OK and is what most discussion threads usually do when the Original Topic has been *covered in full*. I had nothing to do with that, it's a natural evolution of discussions. A question was asked what it would take to make you consider OS4 as being Amiga, and I (as others) replied. And here you are, talking about Hitler and the Holocaust of Jews!? :rolleyes:. Oh man, that was a new low level even coming from you. This is a discussion board, where you discuss things, exchange views, debate, etc. If you don't agree, then say so in the discussion, but please stop this pointless negative meta-discussion about discussions you are constantly doing all the time. Funny thing you bring up Hitler in one breath, and then you advocate a totalitarian fascist view that only unidirectional opinions should be allowed in the next breath. Was that a Freudian thing? Frankly, this seems to be all you do here these days, and frankly, indeed this behavior would perhaps indeed suit better on that other site...

:rolleyes:
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 12:55:18 PM by takemehomegrandma »
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

phoenixkonsole

« Reply #90 on: September 30, 2012, 01:14:31 PM »
@takemehomegrandma
If we talk about the AROS you may know:
Better 3D drivers, more supported HW, Wifi
Not only tied to cheap HW ; ) (multiplatform).

But this few pro's will get some big additions in the not too far Future which will blow some minds.

Offline A1260

• Show only replies by A1260
« Reply #91 on: September 30, 2012, 01:19:19 PM »
@takemehomegrandma

"the Amiga brand lost its relevance and meaning to me a long time ago. In fact, I can't connect emotionally to that anymore, I don't even want to feel being associated with it in any way, it feels filthy in a way. I'm happy to use anything else that gives me my Amiga fix."

and why do you hang around at a.org and try to gospel your mprphos?... it's clearly you are in the wrong place if you feel like that..

i suggest you try out this place -> http://www.morphzone.org i think it will be more of your liking :)

Offline Yogi27

• Show only replies by Yogi27
    • http://telnet://yccafe.dyndns.org
« Reply #92 on: September 30, 2012, 01:47:02 PM »
Wow, this site has gone down hill.

I own an AmigaOne 500 (Sam 460) and I love it.  I was a classic user for many years, my A3000 was my favorite machine, but I have to say, the A1-500 has that feel for me.  I have nothing against other Amiga flavor systems, I think we should all work together and get along.  

I thought I would pop in here to see what is new in the classic side of things, and after reading this thread, wow, bitter much.  Nice to visit and good luck, see ya.

Yogi

Offline Kremlar

• Show only replies by Kremlar
« Reply #93 on: September 30, 2012, 02:10:19 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;709784
Windows OEM can be *very* cheap, depending on reseller. Point is OEM shouldn't really be sold separately to consumers at all but only bundled with new computers (this is the very definition of OEM), but some does this anyway. Hence there are no real trustworthy comparable list prices on this, you have to search to find the best bargain, there can be big differencies. There are however restrictions in OEM versions of windows when it comes to upgrading the computer (new motherboard/CPU etc); the OEM Windows is kind of similar to the MorphOS license in this regard, it's tied to the HW it's supposed to be bundled with. My brother built himself a new PC (put it together from selected components) and tried to install his old OEM on it, but product activation failed. But then he simply called the support by phone and said his computer had broke down and the seller had replaced some parts because of original parts no longer existed (playing ignorant), and somehow MS support opened it up so he could register/authenticate windows on his new HW!

:)

I understand OEM very well, thanks.  Microsoft actually allows the sale of OEM Windows from their normal System Builder channel to other "system builders" as long as the package remains unopened so that they can accept the license agreement.  This is why NewEgg and other major retailers can sell OEM Windows with no complaints from Microsoft.

There certainly are list prices and typical selling prices for OEM Windows obtained through the System Builder channel.  If you find copies of OEM Windows for sale at a substantially lower price than say NewEgg then one of several things must be happening:

1 - it's counterfeit (a VERY common occurrence from fly by night vendors)
2 - vendors or OEMs are starting to dump existing inventory in anticipation of a new release (Windows 8)

2 does happen, especially from major OEMs like Dell, HP and Lenovo, but I'm not so sure buying a license sold to Dell for installation on a non-Dell PC is valid.  If you care about having a legit license then you might be concerned.  If you only care that it activates online and passes validation checks then you might be fine.

Yes, an OEM license cannot be moved from PC to PC according to the license.  Same thing if a motherboard is upgraded.  If the motherboard is defective and an exact brand/model replacement in installed the license is still intact.

However, like you said, Microsoft is very leanient - I've never heard them deny a license activation unless you specifically tell them you're doing something against the license agreement.  Typically they ask only how many PCs the license is installed on - if you say 1, they will give you an activation code.

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #94 on: September 30, 2012, 02:25:00 PM »
Quote from: phoenixkonsole;709861
What does too poor Amiga compatibility mean? Has MorphOS a better backward compatibility? Since everything evolves it is logical to break with some "outdated" Amiga philosophy.

I dont think it was intentional though.
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

« Reply #95 on: September 30, 2012, 03:17:30 PM »
Quote from: A1260;709866
@takemehomegrandma

"the Amiga brand lost its relevance and meaning to me a long time ago. In fact, I can't connect emotionally to that anymore, I don't even want to feel being associated with it in any way, it feels filthy in a way. I'm happy to use anything else that gives me my Amiga fix."

and why do you hang around at a.org

Because to me (and many others as well, a fact that you obviously fail to grasp) "Amiga" != "Trademark and boing balls". I wonder why this is so hard to grasp for some? In fact, it's not about the name at all, the name was destroyed by Hyperion and Amiga Inc more than a decade ago. And there is nothing in the TOS of this site stipulating that everyone must either advocate OS4 and only express positive emotions or be silent as soon as OS4 is mentioned. So there is absolutely no ground for your "why are you here" reasoning based on my posts in this (or any other) thread, not in the TOS, and certainly not in the Amiga legacy. Others can have (and express) their views about OS4, and I can have (and express) mine. There are up to two handfuls of topics going on in this thread alone, OS4 is very much related to them all, and I have the same right as you or anyone else to answer the direct question that was asked about what I think about OS4, without you or anyone else coming slagging me with insinuation that I would have done something wrong (not to say "Duce's" analogies to Hitler and the Holocaust, I mean WTF?!).

:whack:

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #96 on: September 30, 2012, 03:27:07 PM »
Quote from: Kremlar;709869
However, like you said, Microsoft is very leanient - I've never heard them deny a license activation unless you specifically tell them you're doing something against the license agreement.  Typically they ask only how many PCs the license is installed on - if you say 1, they will give you an activation code.

Microsoft has created a new license which should be around OEM costs: http://www.geek.com/articles/geek-pick/windows-8-gets-personal-use-license-for-anyone-building-their-own-pc-20120821/
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

« Reply #97 on: September 30, 2012, 03:33:51 PM »
Quote from: Kremlar;709869
If you care about having a legit license then you might be concerned.  If you only care that it activates online and passes validation checks then you might be fine.

If it installs on your HW and then activates properly on your machine online in the "Genuine Windows" test (or whatever they call it), then *it is* legit! At least according to Microsoft themselves apparently, and they are quite picky about this and they can easily kill/blacklist serials to prevent activation of foul copies. IMHO price is irrelevant to this.

« Reply #98 on: September 30, 2012, 03:43:29 PM »
Quote from: dammy;709872
Microsoft has created a new license which should be around OEM costs: http://www.geek.com/articles/geek-pick/windows-8-gets-personal-use-license-for-anyone-building-their-own-pc-20120821/

That's actually quite interesting! Thanks for the head-up! :)

IMHO something like this needed to happen. I think MS needs to do everything they can to prevent another "Vista disaster" where most consumers and organisations simply kept on using Windows XP for a very long time instead of upgrading. Windows 7 was a very good version though, worth an upgrade (both from XP and Vista), and today I believe many (including MS themselves perhaps?) are thinking about why they should bother with Win8, especially on the desktop, especially when Win7 is actually quite good and does pretty much everything you need? And has a UI you know and understand and approve!

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #99 on: September 30, 2012, 04:33:45 PM »
okay in an argument about super niche operating systems that most people have never heard of, it's propably a bit over the top to pull out the hitler stuff

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #100 on: September 30, 2012, 05:16:35 PM »
Quote from: runequester;709884
okay in an argument about super niche operating systems that most people have never heard of, it's propably a bit over the top to pull out the hitler stuff

You get back to me when you've received personally harassing PM's from people "from other camps" should one try and promote more tolerance for all Amiga platforms.  I won't try and defend the Hitler comparisions, but do read the below and it might be a little more understandable as to why I made them.

The first time I apparently patently offended people by claiming that tolerance should be shown for ALL flavors, I was called a "retard" in PM.  The next time, after someone found out I have a vision impairment, I was called a "blind retard".  I wish I was making this up or otherwise exaggerating, but sadly I am not, and I suspect I'm not alone.

A bit hard to keep your cool and keep taking it on the chin in those cases, and why?  I made the deadly mistake of saying there's room for all flavors, and strengths and weaknesses in *all* Amiga-like OS variants, so you'll have to forgive me if I do chime in when people start pounding the pulpits about their divine vision of what "THE GRANDE AMEEEGAH OS!!!!11" is while thoroughly preaching outright disdain for anyone not using "The Holy OS".

It's a platform that's essentially been a grave-robbed, bloated corpse for nearly TWENTY years, yet you know - nothing has really changed.  Still the elitist horseplop there always was, only difference is back in the day our enemy was the PC user, now we are essentially cannibalizing each other over stupid "color camps".  That's sad beyond words, and even sadder that it's a seeming holy war here when we're all in the same damned boat.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 11:45:53 PM by Duce »

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #101 on: September 30, 2012, 05:37:36 PM »
Oh, I dont disagree with you one bit there.

The "camps" is retarded. Instead of (pulling numbers out of my ass here) 1000 users and 12.5 developers for each version, maybe we'd be moving along better, if there was some actual unity.

Offline spirantho

« Reply #102 on: September 30, 2012, 06:36:07 PM »
I don't think the problem is actually as bad as it seems.

Yes - there are "camps" but most people are actually more than willing to appreciate the others - it's the vocal minority that make it seems like the "war" is much larger than it is.

Certainly most people I know are AmigaOS 4 users because I hang around AW.net and Amigans.net as well, but overall I'd say that most of the people I've come across have been genuinely happy when progress is made on AROS or MorphOS - I imagine that most people on MorphZone.net are also genuinely pleased when AmigaOS 4 shows progess (at least I hope so).
Of course there are some OS4 users who will yell at MorphOS users, but luckily I think they're the minority in the same way as the anti-OS4 brigade are a minority of MorphOS users - there's always going to be someone.

So don't give up - just realise most of the people are keeping quiet because they don't care about the bickering! The only reason I took any part in the thread was because I get so fed up of people yelling about the Sam is unusable, when I know it's not true because I use one regularly.

On the plus side, this argument has kept the news about there being two new full systems at the top spot of the forums. :) All good publicity - and I for one wish to support the few remaining companies supplying us with what we need for our hobby to survive.
--
Ian Gledhill
ian.gledhill@btinternit.com (except it should be internEt of course...!)
Check out my shop! http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ - for 8-bit (and soon 16-bit) goodness!

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #103 on: September 30, 2012, 08:20:26 PM »
Oh, I don't know that we are all that fragmented.
Many software packages are ported across all three NG OS'.
And at least one MorphOS developer (Fab) has ported his work to the competition's platform.

As to any hostility that might exist, I don't think MorphOS users are actively hostile to AOS4.1 users.
There's just some lingering pains over some statements made in the past by Hyperion's management and contracted developers (which is funny because I use MorphOS to run their ports of QuakeII and Heretic).

Anyway, the bigger the base the better, so I'm open to anything.

Heck, I'm even considering building a 4000 to get back to legacy software.

Oh, and takemehomegrandma may have some strongly held opinions (which I occasionally disagree with), but he's a pretty sharp dude.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline Kremlar

• Show only replies by Kremlar
« Reply #104 on: October 01, 2012, 12:05:52 AM »
If it installs on your HW and then activates properly on your machine online in the "Genuine Windows" test (or whatever they call it), then *it is* legit! At least according to Microsoft themselves apparently, and they are quite picky about this and they can easily kill/blacklist serials to prevent activation of foul copies. IMHO price is irrelevant to this.  

Of course not.  For example, if you somehow obtain a non-profit license for Windows (which is available at a dramatically reduced cost) and are able to install and activate it, do you think if Microsoft came knocking on your door they would consider you legitimally licensed?  Of course not.  

Most people don't care - they only care if they can install and activate.  Doesn't mean you are legitimately licensed however.  Microsoft is absolutely NOT picky - it's very rare that they will blacklist install codes - they only do it in extreme cases.